Author Topic: Real or replica?  (Read 15198 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Real or replica?
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 03:06:55 AM »
What about the term "bench copy" where does that fit in?
If I were going to build a bench copy, I would copy Smartdog's bench, the sliding deadman and the wooden vises with chain drives are killer.  ;D
David

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 05:42:42 AM »
HHHMMMMMM. Mental gymnastics. Unfortunately my brain is the only part of my body that can do any sort of Gymnastics these days. ::) Words mean things, and they are important. The oldtimers built flint lock rifles, we build flint lock rifles, the only difference is ours are newly made and theirs are now old. When an old timey apprentice copied the masters work was he making a replica? Did someone come into the original Dickert shop and say to the apprentice "Hey, nice Dickert replica there sport."......I don't think so. If you built a rifle in the style of Dickert today it is not a Dickert rifle as Dickert didn't make it, it is a rifle newly made in the style of Dickert but it isn't a replica as it is real.
When you make a powder horn it's not a "replica" it IS a POWDER HORN.
When you make a knife, it IS A KNIFE, not a "replica" of a knife.

Let's say Acer builds a gun and i think it's really cool so I build one just like it. Would mine be a replica of a replica? What if mine were better (highly probable  ;D) and somebody built one just like it. Would it be a replica of a replica of a replica?

It's going to be a long winter..... :P

You make some fine points and I have to agree. The term replica is one that comes to mind when talking about curio's and the likes of that. Today when you see a replica it is commonly a non firing piece of junk that might be loosely (and I am using that term recklessly) based on something kinda sorta like an original. Personally, I like the term contemporary...the work you guys do is that of an art form from days gone by that has just lived on into the 21st century.

Just my $0.02

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 06:39:37 AM »
In my view, a Kentucky Rifle is a KY Rifle; it is an old one or a new one, but still a KY. New ones are not replicas if they are made by the old tried and true methods. Rifles have been made since the 1750s up through today and the work just keeps getting better. The best shows up here on the Forum regularly, in my opinion. Prices vary on all ages of rifles and that is to be expected.
I am a collector of mostly old rifles, but I can get become very excited over a fine, newly made piece. So, replicas to me are Colts, Winchesters and such, that are made today. Not just my feelings, but those of Colt collectors; you can spend 15K for an original Colt Dragoon, 1849 second model revolver, or buy a second generation gun for under 2K. Pretty standard for all of these guns.
Talk KY Rifle and the situation changes considerably. To build a rifle from stem to stern by hand is vastly different from assembly of machined and stamped out parts to make a 'look-alike' gun. Time and art are money: expect to pay a commensurate sum for the work done. I am ever stoked that no decade has gone by when someone was not building KY Rifles in this country, and so it goes.
Dick

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 03:49:10 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with any of the terms, we just get in trouble when different user groups utilize the same words in different ways.  Replica is something vastly different to us than other user groups or other fields. 

What I really think is that Mike needs to get stictches, quit smelling chicken poo and get back in the shop!!  At least give the poor guy some snow to shovel or something.   :D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 04:06:15 PM »
The gov'ment considers them replicas and so do I when I'm standing in line to ship one somewhere using the US mail. Otherwise, it's not something I give a lot of thought to.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2015, 04:58:05 PM »
so now when I register them, that area of the form says "Sapergia".  Call it progress if you like. 

Not to make this Political, just a question; do you have to register all the guns you build?

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »
In my view, a Kentucky Rifle is a KY Rifle; it is an old one or a new one, but still a KY. New ones are not replicas if they are made by the old tried and true methods. Rifles have been made since the 1750s up through today and the work just keeps getting better. The best shows up here on the Forum regularly, in my opinion. Prices vary on all ages of rifles and that is to be expected.
I am a collector of mostly old rifles, but I can get become very excited over a fine, newly made piece. So, replicas to me are Colts, Winchesters and such, that are made today. Not just my feelings, but those of Colt collectors; you can spend 15K for an original Colt Dragoon, 1849 second model revolver, or buy a second generation gun for under 2K. Pretty standard for all of these guns.
Talk KY Rifle and the situation changes considerably. To build a rifle from stem to stern by hand is vastly different from assembly of machined and stamped out parts to make a 'look-alike' gun. Time and art are money: expect to pay a commensurate sum for the work done. I am ever stoked that no decade has gone by when someone was not building KY Rifles in this country, and so it goes.
Dick

I also see the modern made Kentucky as a continuation of the art form. A functional art form. At its purest definition a "replica" Kentucky would be a close copy of an original which almost nobody does. I also a agree with your assessment of the various copies of 19th c machine made firearms. These are "replicas" since in many cases the parts will interchange with originals. But its apples and oranges. The companies than can crank out 1866 Win replicas for example cannot duplicate the stocking of a Hawken or a Kentucky. Its apples and oranges. Though increased use of CNC may improve this the finish work is impossible for modern factory workers.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »
Tim:  that's a fair question, and something we up here in the Great White North just deal with.  All handguns require registration whether it's a wheellock or a Glock.  It doesn't have to make sense to be law.  We no longer have to register long arms.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »
Yet
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline James

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 05:55:46 AM »
If I were going to build a bench copy, I would copy Smartdog's bench, the sliding deadman and the wooden vises with chain drives are killer.  ;D
David

Thank you for frequently bringing a much needed smile to my face.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2015, 05:37:27 PM »
Ok guys,  my wife says we have WAAAAY too much time on our hands.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »
Ok guys,  my wife says we have WAAAAY too much time on our hands.

Yeah, that's a dangerous situation.  SHE will find a way to reduce such foolish idleness!

Stop slackin', get crackin' boyz!   :D
Hold to the Wind

BartSr

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 08:25:57 PM »
David
Show me how this type of bench works.

BartSr

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2015, 07:37:35 PM »
David
Show me how this type of bench works.

BartSr

A little off topic but that has never stopped me before.  Bart, here is the link to Dave's bench.  It is a work of art.   http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=37843.msg363848#msg363848
David

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2016, 07:20:51 AM »
i have also read the term working replica .