Author Topic: Prone Longrifle  (Read 7697 times)

Offline yulzari

Prone Longrifle
« on: December 21, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »
The bent stock and crescent buttplate of these rifles are well suited to offhand shooting but how adaptable are they to being fired prone? MLAIC competitions, in different classes, involve prone in some and offhand in others. I was thinking of building one gun for all classes and the .32 Crockett looks to be a starting base.
I do know that there are plenty of other choices but the question is about how well rifles of this configuration can be used prone.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Prone Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »
I only had my Hawken with me at a chunk match years ago and the bruise from the butt plate heal lasted about a month.
Mark
Mark

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »
A lot of drop makes for a difficult rifle to shoot prone. But there are plenty of long rifle styles that have less drop and are just fine to shoot prone with.
Galations 2:20

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »
Straighter stock (higher comb) and wide 2"+  English or Shotgun Butt makes for more comfortable prone shooting.  The .69 is not pleasant prone shooting, even though it has less drop and wide butt - go figure - LOL.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 11:09:26 PM »
I was at a over the log shoot with only my Vincent style 40 cal. 1" barrel gun. Even though the gun is somewhat heavy, it was uncomfortable to shoot with that crescent butt with the 60+ gr. of swiss that I was using. I have now started making my rifles with less curve in butt and less drop and it really makes a world of difference.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 11:50:43 PM »
 Deeply curved butt-plates are suited for shooting off of the arm at the juncture to the shoulder, not the modern pocket of the collar bone. Placing the butt-plate "down" there also uses more drop. You may not wish to shoot this way; it may not be comfortable for you.  Whether or not the shooting position works, one would not expect a .32 to produce any serious recoil problems even with a narrow butt-plate.
 I personally think one's body absorbs more recoil shooting prone than it does at the bench or offhand because your body is more stationary when prone. When I started shooting chunk, I was surprised at all the differences from the bench.
 I won't be surprised if after a season of shooting you decide to build a rifle dedicated to the matches that you like to shoot.
Okieboy

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 03:07:11 AM »
Deeply curved butt-plates are suited for shooting off of the arm at the juncture to the shoulder, not the modern pocket of the collar bone. Placing the butt-plate "down" there also uses more drop. You may not wish to shoot this way; it may not be comfortable for you.  Whether or not the shooting position works, one would not expect a .32 to produce any serious recoil problems even with a narrow butt-plate.
 I personally think one's body absorbs more recoil shooting prone than it does at the bench or offhand because your body is more stationary when prone. When I started shooting chunk, I was surprised at all the differences from the bench.
 I won't be surprised if after a season of shooting you decide to build a rifle dedicated to the matches that you like to shoot.

One of the reasons for the different designs.  The English gun was designed for quick shooting at dangerous game- so they are designed similar to shotguns and even point like them as well. Snap a well made English rifle to your shoulder and the sights are already aligned on target.

It is not this much fun when shot prone. A prone body has complete grasp of terra firma and resists moving to absorb recoil as is demonstrated in this picture. Upon gun movement during recoil, the shoulder moves back and down. This lifts the cheek bone off the stock. Note the trigger finger has also moved forward off the trigger - the gun does come back more swiftly than one might think, but in offhand, it doesn't hurt. Prone would be a challenge - especially shots 2 through 10.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:11:41 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline okieboy

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 07:18:16 AM »
" Prone would be a challenge - especially shots 2 through 10."

Good picture. Even if the gun hurts me, the real challenge for 2-10 is getting the gun and the old shooter up and down, up and..... ;D
Okieboy

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 03:38:25 PM »
Deeply curved butt-plates are suited for shooting off of the arm at the juncture to the shoulder, not the modern pocket of the collar bone. Placing the butt-plate "down" there also uses more drop. You may not wish to shoot this way; it may not be comfortable for you.  Whether or not the shooting position works, one would not expect a .32 to produce any serious recoil problems even with a narrow butt-plate.

One of the reasons for the different designs.  The English gun was designed for quick shooting at dangerous game- so they are designed similar to shotguns and even point like them as well. Snap a well made English rifle to your shoulder and the sights are already aligned on target.

It is not this much fun when shot prone. A prone body has complete grasp of terra firma and resists moving to absorb recoil as is demonstrated in this picture. Upon gun movement during recoil, the shoulder moves back and down. This lifts the cheek bone off the stock. Note the trigger finger has also moved forward off the trigger - the gun does come back more swiftly than one might think, but in offhand, it doesn't hurt. Prone would be a challenge - especially shots 2 through 10.

A fine illustration of the old time big boom elephant gun. Daryl is right.Lean into it and don't fight the recoil.I had a Rigby 500 #2 which was a .577 necked down to .500 and I was the only one in the gun club that would fire it.It was a double rifle.I wouldn't think of firing any of these guns prone unless it was an emergency situation.He's right about the quick shouldering characteristics as well.They come to line fast and reflect the extreme levels of thought and craftsmanship tat make the what they are in double or single barreled forms.

Bob Roller

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »

Daryl,
You duck hunting there??
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline yulzari

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »
Recoil is not an issue. I fire my Martini with the full service charge prone and my .753 musket with 120 grains standing (no gentleman would fire a musket prone). I was hoping that I would find advice from those who had used this sort of configuration prone unsupported. Standing absorbs recoil far better than prone.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline okieboy

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 10:30:23 PM »
 Clarifying, you are advised to use this configuration with the butt-plate placed at the point where the arm connects to the shoulder. As to how well a rifle can be shot from this position, they can be shot with extreme accuracy by top shooters with great eyesight and steady nerves. Sadly for many of us, even those of us with steady nerves and very good rifles, 60+ year old eyes are not going to extract the best accuracy from a good rifle irregardless of the butt-plate and drop configuration. :(   
Okieboy

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 08:39:03 PM »
No prone shooting for me. I'd never get back up. (bad back)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 09:48:16 PM »

Daryl,
You duck hunting there??
Fred

Umm - LOL - no - but I have shot grouse on the wing with my .58 Hawken using #7 1/2 shot.

The picture preceding the 'recoil' shot, was the aiming shot, which had the muzzle perfectly aligned with the subsequent powder cloud.  this rifle, even with the 2 1/4" wide butt, would have been brutal shot from prone, even if the shooter has rather meaty shoulders when using it's hunting and long range accuracy load of 480gr. ball and 140gr. 2F. That is why I noted above, shots #2 through #10 would have been most difficult.
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »
Daryl and I were talking about this yesterday when he dropped by the shop.  We reminisced about the cartridge rifle match in 1976 I entered with my .62 Hawken.  The hosts kind of smirked when I asked if I could use my muzzleloader, but let me play anyway.  Daryl's memory for details is amazing.  He was spotting with a telescope...targets at 100 and 200 yards, five shots at each.  I was shooting 200 grains of Holy Black from over a piece of log prone.  He said I said, "ow", after each shot.  I won the match and the prize was a lovely leather covered Dixon powder flask with the event and date engraved on the head...still have and cherish it.  There is no way I could do that now.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 10:46:01 PM »
I have shot my .54 and .62 from prone just to have fun, and see what could be done out to 300 yards [max.range at my property ]   A " P.A.S.T " recoil pad worn under my shooting jacket [ protects my elbows ] helps to make it almost comfortable.  This is the same set up I use for 1000 yd. matches with my Sharps 45 2.6 in

Turtle

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »
 When I shoot a gun with any kick from a rest, prone or bench, I put my left hand around the butt in front of my shoulder with that elbow on the bench/ground. The butt doesn't hardly touch my shoulder.
                                                                                 Turtle

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 06:26:48 AM »
He said I said, "ow", after each shot.

This caused me to laugh. Well told.  :D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.