Author Topic: Bullet/Ball Trap???  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Skychief

Bullet/Ball Trap???
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:18:41 AM »
Have any of you built traps to recover lead from your muzzleloaders?

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated. Pictures would be great if available.

Best regards, Skychief

Offline Nordnecker

Re: Bullet/Ball Trap???
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »
I made a steel "gong" that hung from a 2x4 frame. The steel was only 1/4" thick but it would stop most bullets. Oddly, my pure lead balls would deform the steel, almost would go through it. Another shooter's copper clad cf bullets had less of an impact. Both the copper jacket and the lead would fall to the ground after hitting the steel plate. It hung from a few chain links so it would swing when hit. I gave it to the other guy because my lead balls were gonna deform it so bad that a stick-on bullseye wouldn't stay put.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 03:35:42 PM »
Hi,
It is pretty hard to beat a few tires stacked one on top of another filled with sand.
It is easy to dig in and pick out the lead as it accumulates.
The lead balls are very much intact, especially if you use pure sand.
Be sure to keep the cat out of the sand...........those are not real bullets he may leave behind. ::)
Happy new year!
Fred
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:38:06 PM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
I have two steel sheets, both are four plus feet wide and 12 feet long. I plan on setting one up at 25 and one at 50 yards, both with the long side making the angle . They are 1/2 inch thick so are quite heavy. My biggest problem will be getting them out there as they are about three miles from my shooting site. Sand box below made from railroad ties.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »
My friend has a 2 ft x 3 ft 1/2 inch steel plate set up on an angle behind his wood/newspaper target box. .
So far it has stopped everything from  .50 to .735 round balls, .45 and .50 cal Sharps bullets, and even the occasional .308    .    This is not mild steel, but rather, tempered plate.

Offline hudson

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 05:48:06 PM »
A great trap can be made using an old tire with a plate attached to the inside back of the tire. The bullet breaks up on contact and the tire catches most the lead splater. Have had one with a 1/4 in. plate for over 50 years. I have loaned it and has stood up to .357 magnum and a few .44 magnum, thinking lead bullets. I thing maybe a little thicker plate mite not hurt.

Johann

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »
I have used junk mail, catalogs, and magazines (LOTS of them) in a large box as a bullet trap. Just pile the catalogs in a large cardboard box, so that the covers of them are facing front of the box and target. I then place a piece of wood over the front of the box where the target will go, otherwise the bullet holes would weaken the box to the extent that it collapses.
p.s.- don't completely fill the box with catalogs until it is fairly close to where you want to put it; catalogs are heavy, especially when moving uphill (don't ask how I know this).

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 03:14:13 AM »

Best regards, Skychief

Rifles will produce enough velocity to crater steel  under 50 yards or so if you make one make it or buy one made of AR500 alloy. If you make your own read up on cutting this stuff so its not damaged by "hot wrench" use.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 03:16:41 AM »
I have two steel sheets, both are four plus feet wide and 12 feet long. I plan on setting one up at 25 and one at 50 yards, both with the long side making the angle . They are 1/2 inch thick so are quite heavy. My biggest problem will be getting them out there as they are about three miles from my shooting site. Sand box below made from railroad ties.
Angle them well. Mild steel can crater an then start flinging bullet fragments back at the shooter.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Naphtali

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 03:48:17 AM »
Please refer to my reply on a different web site.

Best regards, Skychief

Turtle

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 04:46:14 PM »
  I too have had experience with cratered plates sending balls in unsafe directions, good warning. Also filled tires work great, but beware if someone shoots a real low velocity bullet at them. (air gun, cb cap, shotgun shot, or low volume BP load)---things bounce back off the rubber, not penetrating!
                                                            Turtle

hammer

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 12:47:03 PM »
Remember seeing one some time back.  May have been here?    A long wooden box filled with small chunks of scrap rubber from car tyres.   As used, I believe, for children's play areas under swings, etc.    Target fitted to the front of the box with balls/bullets trapped in the rubber.  No rebound.   Was it also fitted with pram wheels and handles to be wheeled out and back?   Seemed a great idea as a bullet stop and for lead recovery.   Would last for ever.