Author Topic: Jacob Dickert Early Patchbox Release?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Jacob Dickert Early Patchbox Release?
« on: December 25, 2015, 01:04:09 AM »
Does anyone know if, on early (Moravian style) rifles, Jacob Dickert usually attached the catch spring to the butt piece (with a screw) or embedded it in the buttstock?    I think I can see such a screw on one Dickert in RCA but not on the one I am mostly basing my recreation.   Having used it before on an early VA rifle,  attaching the spring to the buttpiece is a very solid design.  I hope someone knowes the answer.

Thanks.

Offline louieparker

Re: Jacob Dickert Early Patchbox Release?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 01:43:19 AM »
I can't tell you what he always did on his early rifles, but what he did on at least one. I am speaking of one of his earlier rifles in RCA. The latch was attached to the butt stock with a screw. The release mechanism was riveted to the  5 1/4 X 2 5/32 inch butt plate.. The riveted mechanism consisted of a brass collar riveted to the plate in a position to guide the release rod to the catch. The release rod went straight up to the butt plate. Then a 90 then another 90 that was the false screw button..Louie

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 03:19:57 AM »
Thanks, That would explain what I saw in the pictures.    I  will have to do some thinking on the matter.   I think the design I used on the early VA would do the same thing, only easier.    The early mechanisms did tend to be involved.   

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »
Thanks, That would explain what I saw in the pictures.    I  will have to do some thinking on the matter.   I think the design I used on the early VA would do the same thing, only easier.    The early mechanisms did tend to be involved.   

When did you ever take the easy way out ??? ::)