Author Topic: It was a good run while it lasted  (Read 6793 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
It was a good run while it lasted
« on: December 23, 2015, 01:16:22 AM »
But now I'm out of vintage hacksaw blades I've been buying at auctions the past few years. Bought a bundle of new ones at the hardware store the other day and mounted one in a saw. One stroke on the buttplate finial I wanted to cut out and the teeth came right off...... >:( Can't the freakin' Chinese make hacksaw blades right? How hard could it be?
 Back to the local farm auctions I guess. ::)

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: It was a good run while it lasted
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 01:24:33 AM »
Back to the local farm auctions I guess. Roll Eyes
May I suggest Ebay, burns less gas
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 01:26:19 AM »
Same thing happened to me this morning, Mike.  Bought two new blades at Ace the other day and the teeth sheared off when I cut a piece of 5/16 brass tubing.  Couldn't believe my eyes!  Never had that happen before.
Mike Lee

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:07:22 AM »
Back to the local farm auctions I guess. Roll Eyes
May I suggest Ebay, burns less gas
Dennis

Good idea.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 03:32:48 AM »
It might be more than you want to spend, but I am very happy with Starrett bimetal blades that I order from MSC.   I feel like I get good wear out of them.   I don't know where they are made. 

greybeard

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 04:32:01 AM »
Cheap hacksaw blades are the most expensive kind!!!
    Bob

Offline crankshaft

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 05:02:42 AM »

We are all to blame, me included.  (by buying the first piece of Chinese $#@* years ago).

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 08:16:01 AM »
  You can buy good ones at NAPA. This is best of all. I buy metal cutting bandsaw blades from Enco. Then I brake off pieces the proper length and anneal both ends for about 1/2" with a torch. I drill the hole in each end and make my own hacksaw blades. This sounds like a lot of trouble but they hadley ever ware out and onother advantage is they have a lot of set and will cut corners sharper than regular hack saw blades. That is a big advantage for some operations.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:04:22 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 03:39:58 PM »
I am very happy with Starrett bimetal blades

+1 to that.  All I use anymore.

Offline RAT

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »
Other companies than Starrett make "bimetal" blades. I buy mine at ACE and they seem fine. I've also bought blades at the local welding supply store. Brownells carries the Starrett brand. They have to be labeled "bimetal" though. General purpose blades aren't worth the packaging.
Bob

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »
It might be more than you want to spend, but I am very happy with Starrett bimetal blades that I order from MSC.   I feel like I get good wear out of them.   I don't know where they are made. 

They are in North Carolina a friend of mine works there. 

Offline shifty

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 05:37:38 PM »
  I use the Lennox brand of blades they work for me.

But good idea on the band saw blades.

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 01:58:20 AM »
  I use the Lennox brand of blades they work for me.

But good idea on the band saw blades.

+1 on Lennox.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

wilkie

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 05:18:40 AM »
For several years I have bought cheap high carbon blads from different origins anf also bimetal blades from different sources.  What I have found is that many people use about 2 or 3 inches of the center of the blade with a back and forth motion as fast as they can.  After reading about useing plenty of lard oil on the instructrions of my grandfathers Greenfield Tap and Die set, I started using bacon grease on my hacksaw blades.  Even the cheap blades outlast other blades without bacon grease.  I use bacon grease for drilling and tapping and also use it on my files to decrease the occurance of pins and to make it easier to clean off my files.  Bacon grease seems to aid in the cutting action while automotive oil seems to a detreriment to the cutting action.  Anyway, my two cents worth, you may have different results.   

PKLeRay

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 10:37:55 AM »
+2 on the Lennox