Author Topic: another old barrel  (Read 3613 times)

Tony Clark

another old barrel
« on: December 23, 2015, 06:21:38 AM »
I was just going through some misc. pieces and parts out in the shop today and happened upon this old barrel. Right now it's 39-1/2" , 1-1/16" at the breech, 7/8" at the waist and 15/16" at the muzzle. It's been bored smooth. I can make out some of the signature but don't recognize it.  The first name starts with "H" I can see that and is 4-5 letters long I believe. Last name starts with "W" and then "O" and it seems it is 4 letters long.
Just thought I would show this for the fun of it.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 07:00:03 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: another old barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 06:34:48 AM »
The first name looks like Henry to me. So Henry Wo??  :-\
John
John Robbins

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:58:24 AM »
I thought there was a WOLF making rifles at one point.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 08:41:36 AM »
Henry Worly or Worley made barrels (Gardner says active 1850-1890), but was later than the looks of this old barrel. Other Worlys were Caleb, David, Henry H (Son of Henry), I, John, John G, Jesse, l, Theophilus, Thomas, Francis, Jacob, Richard. Some were gunmakers, as well, I think. My “I Worly" stamped barrel is on a Morrison percussion rifle (Milton, PA--Upper Susquehanna). Does any of this fit?

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Online Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 10:29:29 AM »
It may be Henry Wolf of Pittsburgh, PA who "fled" to Pendleton County, KY after severe financial problems in PA. He was in KY from before 1820 until after 1840. Shelby Gallien

Tony Clark

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 03:13:11 PM »

Well thank you for the information. Seems like it is Worli or Wolf. Seems like a fairly early barrel I was thinking 18th century. Are either of these two guys work in any of the books? Just curious. Can't recall ever seeing some.
Thanks again for the info and Happy Holidays. tc

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »
Check Rosenberger and Kaufmann: The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania; Allegheny and Westmoreland Counties...pgs.15-18.  Information on Henry Wolf and a pictured rifle by him.  Also, check the footnotes concerning Hugh Glass. Cool stuff.