Author Topic: Original percussion rifle help  (Read 7485 times)

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
Original percussion rifle help
« on: December 24, 2015, 06:06:43 PM »
I recently picked up an original small bore percussion longrifle. It is unsigned and unmarked other than a number 2 or 23 or letter S on the rear sight. I want to use this as a small game rifle but in an attempt to buy the accessories to do so I noticed the bore will only accept a 5/16" cleaning rod for an inch or so and then it is too big to go down any further. I have used a .22 caliber cleaning rod to clean and oil the barrel and the barrel seems to be in good condition. I assume the barrel was made this way to ease the loading process. Am I correct in my thinking and were a lot of the originals made this way? I still don't know what caliber this rifle is but guessing it must be somewhere between .25-.30.    Greg. :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:57:30 PM by Greg Beaman »

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
Re: Original percussion rifle help
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 06:44:36 PM »

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 06:46:44 PM »

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »
this looks like it might be a "23" etched on the sight.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:55:06 PM by Greg Beaman »

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 06:53:21 PM »

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 06:59:24 PM »

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 07:02:57 PM »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »
Greg,
Some rifle barrels were made with relieved muzzles, as they are today, and some older barrels are just worn at the muzzle. Your rifle shows rifling at the muzzle which would say that it may have been relieved when built. Of more concern is the geometry of the hammer to the nipple. It looks like the hammer may not hit the nipple squarely either not igniting the cap or throwing cap shards when it does go off. I would have a competent gunsmith inspect the rifle for function and safety.
Mark
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:31:40 PM by smokinbuck »
Mark

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 08:49:13 PM »
What Mark said!!! To that, permit me to add that if is not a good idea to shoot antiques for a whole bunch of reasons, one of which you have already encountered: a choked down bore. You need to find out why that is: from the inside out, if you still intend to take into the field. Nice rifle, a good find! Thank you for bringing it over her for folks to see. Merry Christmas!
Dick

Offline nord

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
Greg,

You're talking about lighting a fire in a 150 +/- year old rifle. I'll admit that the tiny bore won't take much powder but please consider...

Barrel and breach plug will likely be fine but what about the drum? Hammer to nipple geometry may not be optimal. Then caliber. What exactly are you going to stuff down that bore? Consider the condition of the wood and furniture. Will the gun hold up under even minimal stress?

All I'm saying is that I don't wish you to end up with a damaged antique rifle and more than that I wouldn't wish that you might be damaged. Some chances are worth the risk and others not so much. This especially when a modern muzzle loader can be had at a reasonable price with the expectation of a ball arriving on target and no surprises.

Merry Christmas!
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 07:53:16 AM »
Merry Christmas to all of you that has responded thus far. I appreciate all comments and thoughts on this rifle. I sure want to shoot this rifle but indeed don't want to harm it, or me, in the process. I own many newer sidelocks, including a few customs, so it isn't absolutely necessary that I hunt with this one. I just thought the idea of hunting with a 150 year old longrifle sounded oh so fun. If I decide that it will be a wall hanger then I would be more inclined to sell it and replace it with another custom small bore. I sure appreciate it for what it is and what it represents but my guns for the most part are made to hunt and shoot. Any other thoughts and comments are indeed welcomed here. Thanks!    Greg :)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 06:12:03 PM »
Hi Greg,

Neat rifle.  In addition to the concerns raised above, check the fit between the drum and the lock.  The drum should be well supported but it appears to be round and the notch in the lock plate is square and they don't seem to be making much contact, if any.  Could be a problem if shot much.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »
Greg, I have an original that had a hook  style breech with a drum and nipple set up. The breech threads were rusted bad and the drum the same. It was a 38 cal. with the bore in poor shape. I saved all the old parts but made a new breech plug and drum for it. Had a barrel maker open it up to 45 and rifle it so I could hunt deer with it. Every thing worked great and the gun shot great too. I shot about four deer with it but it was quite heavy at 13&1/2 lbs. so I don't use it any more. I know what you say as it was a real treat to be able to hunt with a 150 year old gun even if it had a few new parts.

Offline Greg Beaman

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »
I very well may sell this gun. I have been told by a dealer /collector at a show in Des Moines a month or so ago, after examining the rifle, that he would appraise the value at $750-$1000. Since I have zero experience in original rifle values, what would you all figure this rifles worth at? I figure on taking it to the CLA show in Lexington and /or list it here to see if there is interest in it. Greg. :)