Author Topic: What gauge for flint fowler for turkey?  (Read 15109 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Re: What gauge for flint fowler for turkey?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »
Gangreen, have you tried shooting #4's yet , or anything other than BB's ?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
I shot one of my 20 bore english fowling guns with a full jug @ 25 yards with 1 3/8oz #4shot and put all the shot in an 18" circle. Far better than any cylinder bore I have ever played with. In fact that was better than any modern gun I have ever shot.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 06:43:43 PM »
Yes the thread has been enlightening to op. I pulled my barrel out and looked at it again. I'm going to draw a plan.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Captchee

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 07:51:57 PM »
   Here is my thoughts  and don’t get me wrong im not  debating the  validity of a choke  if one so desires .
 But some years ago I began  studying some things I found to be interesting  surrounding
 Early chokes , based on Greener’s findings .
 For those not   familiar with the Fields public trials  that he writes about .
The trials were  held   by J. Walsh  of the “Field“ paper  in attempt to  prove breech loading vs. muzzle loading  starting in 1858 , then again in 59 and latter 1866 .
   Makers would  subject their pieces  to shot patterns at different distances when comparing muzzle loading  to breech loading .
 Each gun would was then subject to the same charge and shot volume  as the next .
 Distances  were at 40 , 50 and 60 yards
 All three years the muzzle loading cylinder bores out preformed the  breech loading guns .
 Not tell 1875 does Greener state that  his advent of a new bore design , out perform  the muzzle loading  pieces.
 it’s a very interesting read on the subject  if one has never read Greener writings. You can find a lot of the information in ;the gun and its development , W. W . Greener .
 Some fo the field Trial findings can be found starting on page 326 .
The book is available on line for free .

When I first read this  information , I could simply not understand how a cylinder bore could out perform a choke  . Especially at distances out to 60 yards.   I also found it rather interesting to see that smaller 20 bores out performing larger bores of 14 , 12 and 10  for some time 

One afternoon I happened to run a cross  one of Greener descriptions that  to paraphrase , stated that equal  amounts of shot to powder should be first used . From there one  either increase the shot to powder ratio to tighten the pattern or reduced the shot to powder ratio to  open the pattern up . That the use of different wads , cards and combinations of the above  would effect the patterning as well
I set to  attempting to confirm this and found it to be true  to some existent. Enough so that today  I use  the principle while working a shot load for my smooth bores .
 Where I have found this not to hold true is with longer barrels . With the 52 inch barrel on my HV , I have not been able to blow the pattern open .
 Anyway . Again not trying to get into the choke vs. cylinder bore issue . that’s up to the shooter to decide . Just throwing the info out there     .

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »
Captchee, Do you remember the lengths of the un-choked barrels used. I have a theory that in the longer barreled fowlers, at ignition the shot is upset and at some point before leaving the barrel the shot reform into a state where all the individual BB's are comfortable with their neighbor and tend to leave the barrel as one then begin to scatter as surfaces are acted upon by their friction with air, as opposed to the shorter barrels allowing their departure before becoming resettled.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Captchee

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »
 the Trials list lenghts of 29-31 . greener lists  the 1875 trials at 29.5 and 30 inchs

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2015, 10:59:05 PM »
I had read somewhere years ago, it may have been Greener, that the forcing cone ahead of the chamber in a breech loading shotgun, deforms some of the outside layer of shot causing the shot to spread. I was said that a muzzle loading shotgun with the same bore dimensions would for that reason shoot a little tighter pattern.
Mark
Mark Poley

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2015, 01:19:50 AM »
I must be missing something. My personal experience with cylinder bored flintlock fowlers tells me that, in no uncertain terms will a 30" tube out perform a choked barrel of equal length, at any range. Perhaps he was in league with Dillon.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Captchee

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2015, 05:23:23 PM »
Again im not debating  a persons want for a choked bore . Be it Jugged or  restricted .
I actually have both  in that I have a  jug choked barrel for my fowler and I have a SXS flintlock with modified and full  as well as one with open /open  . Personally I find positive and negatives in both   concerning muzzle loading applications .
All but the fowler  have barrels less then 30 inchs
 The main reason I brought this up is that for those who  have or want to chose a cylinder bore  in the application accepted by this forum ,  you may not be as restricted “ no pun intended LOL “ as you might think .
 Was greener in  the same class as Dillon ??? Maybe . But it wasn’t greener documenting the results at the time or defining the equipment used to  record the results . . That  would have been  the Field as well as The Amory at the Tower of London
Ironically  if the information was distorted , one would think it would have been the Field doing it . Considering the Walsh was  promoting the trials  
Greener IMO only mentions them  for his own benefit.
So we aren’t talking about  after the fact writings  as in the case with Dillon  .

Case in point . Lets look at the Field trials of 1859 .. For no other reason then I have it looked up  for barrel length.
 That year there were 29 entries of mixed muzzle and breech loading shotguns
 Without going into target equipment  for their penetration test comparison  and bench details which aloud ech gun to be fired  without human contact ,  ill just  report that the target  was documented at 30 inch with a square center of 12 inchs . Shots were taken at 40 , 50 and 60 yards
Powder is recorded as Laurence’s No.2
Shot was #6 (290 pellets per oz.)
Charge was 2 ¾ drams of powder  for muzzleloaders and 3 drams for breech loaders  with  1 ¼ oz shot respectivly .

Prince and Green  posted top scores  for both muzzleloader and breech loader that year at 40 yards .  
Muzzleloader , 1st barrel = 98. Second barrel 148
Breech loader . First barrel = 93. 2nd barrel 103
 Concerning penetration , the numbers are  very close .
 Over and over , at greater and smaller degree’s , results like these were recorded
That leaves us  with the question ; how exactly was  that proper load achieved  and as you ask “what did we miss“.
But does that really mater  when you break things down and  realize that these folks were putting  ½  of a shot load  on a 30 inch target at 40 yards .
After all , isn’t that what we are really after IE large amount of shot on target .
So how exactly did they do that Robby ?

Myself I suspect it was as Greener alluded to , by regulating powder to shot ratios . But a discussion on that would probably be better suited for the shooting forum .
Ill close  my part in this discussion  as I  believe I have  achieved  the point  of sugesting research.
Ill leave the rest  up to those who  would dive into the subject deeper if one so desires  .
I think however to often we spend so much effort into recreating these pieces  but then fail to continue our studies into finding out just how they were as accurate as they were  ,given the technologies of the time . Is it enough for a piece to just look correct ?
 Im not sure . Sometimes it appears so

PS I would agree with your thoughts on the longer barrel and its effects . I think however it has more to do with holding the shot column intact for a longer period . Thus allowing the pressure to  reduce to a point  where  it provides  much the same effect as adjusting the powder to shot ratio.  But that’s speculation on my part  .
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:56:00 PM by Captchee »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2015, 06:53:40 PM »
Thank you Captchee, that is interesting. Its just that years ago i spent a great deal of time experimenting with cylinder bored 20 gauge, 42" barrel and later with a 16ga., 44" barreled tube. With going up and down the powder and shot scale using multiple combinations of each, modifying cushion wad's, making paper shot cups, I don't believe I ever attained that level of concentration at those ranges. Either way, your information is kindling the fire, I may have another go at it. Hah!
Robby
molon labe

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »
Gangreen, have you tried shooting #4's yet , or anything other than BB's ?

Yeah, when I said "BBs", I actually should have said, "fine shot".  I'm not shooting BBs out of it, nor would they be legal for turkeys here.  I've tried 5 and 6 shot, but never 4 shot.  I haven't done tons of experimenting but I've likely shot 20 different card/wad/shot combinations and I have yet to find a load that would pattern well beyond 20-25 yards.  I really hope that I stumble into one because even the two birds that I've taken at roughly 25 yards weren't slobber-knocked and I'd sure like to have some insurance and possibly get 5-10 more yards on the outside as well.

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2015, 10:45:30 PM »
Any one got any input on effect of jug choke on round ball accutacy in smooth bore?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2015, 10:56:48 PM »
My customers say Jug and round ball works fine. I have never personally tried it.
 Also for shot size for hunting purposes I pretty much use 4's for everything.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2015, 12:16:27 AM »
I have always been a fan of #4 shot.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Captchee

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2015, 12:50:05 AM »
 the only issue i have ran into with jug choke and a round ball is when the ball was patched . but since going to a wad  , ball and card i have had no issues . the accuracy doesn’t seem to be  effected

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2015, 01:15:17 AM »
For what it's worth, there has been some mention of the Colerain special turkey choke on this thread and I wanted to mention that Colerain is quite explicit that round balls are never to be used in that barrel.  I'm not sure why or if they're just being extremely careful to avoid liability, I just wanted to point it out so nobody gets in trouble.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2015, 03:42:01 AM »
  Chuck Edwards says the jug choked barrels that he has used shoot just fine with round ball .The colerain turkey choke barrels are drilled 575 from the breechto the muzzle then drilled and reamed 610 and stopped short of the muzzle.so a round ball would have to be 560 or there about. They are for shot only.Check there web sight for all the info.If i didnt think they were worth the effort of buildin a gun with this barrel I woundnt be on here praisin them so much .
   I doubt i will every use another cyll bore gun again.   ,jug chocked maybe.  curt

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2015, 07:20:45 AM »
Own one of Colrain's turkey choked barrels 33" 62 cal...tight patterns  so tight I need to add a rear sight.
Found it to shoot like a cf shotgun...Shot a couple of turkeys with it. found it too easy....
Now hunt with a 10 ga 38" cyl bore flint.20-25 yard shots
using 1.25 oz.#5 hard lead shot 85 gr ff goex.
let them walk into my kill zone...Bonus is I get to see them act like turkeys longer ;D
Came a long way from 3.5" 12 ga.cf turkey mashers.
.Note...have shot my share of turkeys so now its more about the hunt than the kill.
prefer fall birds with grass hoppers falling out their beaks.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:30:48 AM by WaterFowl »

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2015, 07:41:44 PM »
Own one of Colrain's turkey choked barrels 33" 62 cal...tight patterns  so tight I need to add a rear sight.
Found it to shoot like a cf shotgun...Shot a couple of turkeys with it. found it too easy....
Now hunt with a 10 ga 38" cyl bore flint.20-25 yard shots
using 1.25 oz.#5 hard lead shot 85 gr ff goex.
let them walk into my kill zone...Bonus is I get to see them act like turkeys longer ;D
Came a long way from 3.5" 12 ga.cf turkey mashers.
.Note...have shot my share of turkeys so now its more about the hunt than the kill.
prefer fall birds with grass hoppers falling out their beaks.

Care to offer a recipe for that Colerain?  I shoot a 42" special turkey barrel and as mentioned before, I'm either doing something terribly wrong or I've got a dud because my patterns are pretty open even at 25 yards.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2015, 11:23:51 PM »
Guns with chokes just seem to shoot well with about any type of shot load.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2015, 11:39:06 PM »
Guns with chokes just seem to shoot well with about any type of shot load.
That has been my experience with jug chocked guns.