Author Topic: Ithaca/Navy Arms Hawken Lock Replacement  (Read 2705 times)

Tizzy

Ithaca/Navy Arms Hawken Lock Replacement
« on: December 26, 2015, 01:26:05 AM »
Merry Christmas to all! That having been said, does anyone know of a current production lock that will closely match the inlet on an Ithaca/Navy Arms Hawken? Maybe the L and R? I have a Davis Jim Bridger, and it doesn't have enough meat on the plate.  :)

Offline FALout

Re: Ithaca/Navy Arms Hawken Lock Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 01:32:53 AM »
I'd look at the full size pics in "track of the wolfs" catalog then go with what's bigger.  There will be some fitting, with the hardest being at the snail, but it's do-able.
Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 02:11:37 AM »
There is more to than just filling the hole left by the old lock.  The throw of the hammer, and the angle it strikes the nipple are as important as the fit of the plate.  Might be simpler to rebuild the Ithaca/Navy Arms lock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Tizzy

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 08:46:47 AM »
After re-reading my post, I realized that my description in the Subject heading was misleading, and one could perceive that I am searching for a replacement lock for a finished Ithaca/Navy Arms Hawken. Please allow me to clarify with the below information.
A few months back I obtained what was described as an Ithaca/Navy Arms Hawken stock. The stock is a nice piece of walnut, with plenty of thickness left on it for shaping....the ramrod hole is not even drilled yet. I would like to use this stock to build what could be perceived as a late Sam Hawken rifle. It is my understanding that Cherry Corner's, Ithaca, Ithaca/Navy Arms and Uberti's Sante Fe Hawken all utilized similar furniture and locks, however production of replacement parts ended years ago to my knowledge. I realize that finding furniture and a lock suitable to complete the build could prove to be difficult, and I am prepared to do modifications to available parts. The above having been stated, I should have worded my question in my original post as, is their a lock in current production that is similar/larger in dimension than the one utilized on the Ithaca Hawken? Thank you gentlemen for the responses you have already provided. Mr. Sapergia, I have been following your "Non" Tutorial Hawken Stuff thread closely, and I admire your work!