Author Topic: working with a 17 year old  (Read 6176 times)

Offline snapper

working with a 17 year old
« on: December 29, 2015, 09:03:20 PM »
This summer I picked up a Browning Mtn. rifle at auction that is/was in rough shape.  I told my youngest son that he could have this rifle if he wanted to refinish it this winter.  So, being his fathers son, he could not pass up the offer for a new rifle.

This week while he is out of school we have started the project.  The rifle was missing the butt plate and the toe plate.  As luck would have it I found new original parts in CN.  Someone had removed them and replaced with a piece of pine that lengthened the butt and made it a flat butt.  They had a slip on leather pad to cover everything that was tacked to the pine (thankfully).  The pine was only glued to the walnut stock, so removal was easy.

He got to learn draw filing today.  There were some dings in the barrel that needed to come out.  A couple of days ago he also got to try his hand at raising dents in the wood. 

A few more hours the rest of metal parts and wood will be ready for finishing.

The spring in the lock is so weak that we did not need to use the spring vice.

If I could keep him working for more than a few hours at a time he would be done, but basketball and friends get in the way.

So far, he has not gotten yelled at!!!!!

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: working with a 17 year old
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 09:43:06 PM »
Good for you Fleener.  You and your son will always remember the time spent working together on this project.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:49:34 PM »
I think you're going about this in an excellent fashion....to get a 17 yr old to do what he's done so far, puts you in the genius  class.

But...is his interest genuine or just being beholden to his father? Hopefully it's the first. None of my sons wanted to get into building MLers....mainly because their Dad was a disciplinarian in their life and they thought any undertaking w/ me would be the same old stuff. Partly true....but it truly would have been different.

A 17 yr old has many other interests and growing up isn't that easy. So...see if he's got the mindset to get into MLing ...most don't until a later age..... if at all. Good luck.....Fred....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:52:06 PM by flehto »

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:39:40 PM »
This son likes to shoot most anything and has been to Friendship with me for 3 or 4 years, and once to Oak Ridge TN to shoot.  He loves shooting the Vincent rifle I built him a few years ago.    He also like his inline rifle with the thumb hole stock and stainless barrel.

He is an avid hunter, earlier in the year I posted a picture of his first deer with a bow.

He is doing it primarily because he wants to.   He is a gun nut and cant pass up a free rifle.   I knew if I was going to get him in the shop on his own free will that there had to be something in it for him.    We are also going to use this as part of his scholarship application for the NMLRA gun makers scholarship.  For this one you need to show or demonstrate some  1800 type skills.  He is also going to finish the knife he started a few years ago.  3 years ago my oldest son won this scholarship for $1,000 and it is wonderful that NMLRA offers this to the kids.

I am blessed with being able to do quite a bit with both of my sons in the outdoors.

Don't get me wrong, I am no saint, last year at Friendship my youngest got more than one butt chewing that he is sure he did not deserve......and at the time I was certain he did.

Fleener

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »
last year at Friendship my youngest got more than one butt chewing that he is sure he did not deserve......and at the time I was certain he did.
Well, a couple of times I agreed with him, but sometimes I think they do things just to play with your mind.   :D
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 12:23:40 AM »
TOF

and hear I thought you were on my side.

Fleener

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:17:23 AM »
That's great Art!!! The best part of my Christmas was my son(home from college ) working with me side by side in the shop making Christmas presents for the special ladies in our life!!!!! Truly a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch

Offline snapper

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 01:36:02 AM »
Mitch working with your son is better than a material present.
Hope he is enjoying college, but not too much...... 

My oldest is a Jr at Iowa State University.  This summer he asked if he and his roommates could make a coffee table for their apartment.  We had a great time and the table turned out very good.   Big heavy one made out of solid hickory.  My boys got to help cut up the tree last year and also helped load and unload it from ISU's kiln.  So we all have quite a bit of sweat into that table.

Fleener

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 02:31:15 AM »
I don't have any children.  I do have a 17 year old who comes over for four hours each Saturday.   He is the son of an acquaintance.  We are building an iron mounted pistol.   Given all the filing and polishing I have had him do, it is amazing he keeps coming back.   

The last three Saturdays,  I worked him at the forge until he had blisters and couldn't lift the hammer any more.   His mother tells me that he loved it.    :D.     I am hoping that I am teaching him some good things.     He is so polite and quiet,  It is hard to tell how interested he really is.   I keep expecting other things to take him away, and I will be sad about that when it does finally happen.    I hope your son sticks with the project.

Offline snapper

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 04:33:42 AM »
Mark

you might be making more of a difference in that young mans life than you could ever imagine.  Good for you and keep it up.

fleener

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 05:17:48 AM »
I hope you and your son have a great time working on this project together. I know it really means a lot to you. I know I am having a blast working with my daughter on our project. Us dads have to stick together, enjoy every minute. :)
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:17:17 PM »
Art-

Good for you getting your son to refurbish a ml rifle. Is this the same son who came here to shoot buffalo with you? He seemed to be a determined lad and struck me as one who would strive to do well at any given task. He was polite too, where did he get that trait?

TK

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 07:27:13 PM »
Ted

that was my oldest son that came with me that day.  He is a JR at Iowa State studying Materials Science Engineering.

He does not really care to hunt anymore, but still likes to shoot.  He takes great pride in the fact that he beat me at the .22 range that day.   I contend that he had a better spotter than what I did.

His girlfriend however hunts and her family all hunts with ML and her grandpa builds ML rifles apparently.

He takes after his mom more than me. 

I am very proud of both of my boys.  They aint perfect, but they are on the right path in life.

fleener

Offline PPatch

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »
I too had an experience teaching youngsters yesterday. I made some simple bird houses as xmas presents for the kids in the extended family. When I gave them out I asked each child to put his or her's up and watch what went on this spring as the future occupants moved in and had young. They were asked to report their findings to me when we next visited. I am hoping they'll learn something interesting and drop those cell phones and computer games for at least a little bit. Which brings me to yesterday when the last two recipients came over. a brother and sister, she 13 and him 11.

I  had it set up to present them with the boxes and then take them to the shop and show them how I made the bird boxes. The boy lasted about 15 minutes, didn't want to try sawing and basically stood around like a bump on a log. He eventually left the shop to go watch TV. The young lady was quite interested in the process, tried sawing, used a chisel and a hand planer. She asked questions giving me an opportunity to impart a bit of history about woodworking and tools. She also asked questions about rifle building and I showed her one in progress some of the metal fabrication I was doing. She did quite well for never having tried any of this stuff and seemed happy to have learned a little of the old craft of wood butchering. We completed the bird house and she decided she wanted it over the one I had made for her earlier in the week.

I invited her back if she wanted to learn more. I very much enjoyed our discussion and building session.

Fleener; Good on you, stick with that boy, sounds like he wants to learn! With you guiding him his project should come out well.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline snapper

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 01:52:12 AM »
well we got the Browning MTN rifle completed this past weekend.

Last night he was holding the rifle admiring his work and made the comment that it felt like a "mans gun".  He is 6'2" and 185 lbs.

He said he could not wait to go deer hunting with it and to take it to Friendship this year.  The only ML he has ever hunted with are the unmentionables, so we are moving in the right direction.

fleener

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 05:09:48 AM »
LOl - when I was 17 - I had NO time for anything but the lass' and hunting. If I wasn't up to my ears - oops - I'll rephrase that - If I wasn't busy with the gals, I was hunting - winter, spring, summer, fall.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Buffaload

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 12:43:56 AM »
Daryl, me too.
I should have hunted more!
Ed