Author Topic: Pouch Straps  (Read 3933 times)

Offline scottmc

Pouch Straps
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:54:10 AM »
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum but I've read it off and on for a couple of years.  There's too much knowledge here to not ask questions so I'd figured I'd give it a try.  I have come to really like making pouches and am really liking bark tanned deer.  I picked up a nice hide and some forged buckles from Curt Lyles last year and more recently a goat hide and am starting to cut some patterns.  I've always wrestled with the appropriate ounce size of the leather for the strap.  I just got some 3-4 oz strips that are a little over an inch wide from Zach White Leather.  Is this a little light for a strap or should I be using 4-5 weight?  I think that 7-8 is too heavy as compared to the density of the leather of the pouch.  Just my opinion.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
Re: Pouch Straps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 05:50:35 AM »
I use 3-4 oz quite often for straps as that seems to be the most common weight for all parts of cowhide pouches from the late 18th - early 19th Century. 4-5 oz on the other hand is not unknown and is a bit firmer than the lighter weight. This is assuming the strips you are using are cow and not deer since deer is generally quite a bit softer than cow even in bark tan.
If your selling see what your customers prefer.

BTW - if you're going to do a lot of pouches I'd recommend buying side or shoulders in the right weights and get a strap cutter to save money in the long run. The wooden strap cutters from Tandy, etc. are relatively inexpensive and work just fine - just keep sharp blades in it or them (when I was running my leather business full-time I had several strap cutters pre-set for the most common widths such as 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", etc.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:56:59 AM by Chuck Burrows »
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:00:57 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Chuck!

You're right about simply buying a whole side.  After buying three strips, I might has well bought a side.  I didn't realize they had strap cutters.  I'll look into that.  I'm happy that the weight isn't too light.  But I think I will try some 4-5 just to see the difference. 
Remember Paoli!

Offline Chuck Burrows

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:18:12 AM »
You'll first have to cut a straight edge on the side. A little hint - I use a 1" x 1/8" x 6' galvanized metal strip from the hardware store. for a cutting board an 8' pine board works fine - just sand or replace when it gets too chopped up. Then I tack one end of the strip to the board. Dampen the leather where you're going to cut and line up the metal strip as need be - this will help prevent the leather from skittering away when you do the cut. Once the cut is made carefully cut strips with your strap cutter - I like the wooden ones especially for lighter weight leathers since the leather is lightly clamped both top and button. Once you get the feel though no problems. About every 5-10 strips I re-check the straightness of the guide edge of the leather and re-do as the first cut if need be.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:21:36 AM by Chuck Burrows »

Offline Chuck Burrows

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:23:11 AM »
The Craftool strap cutter from Tandy (other vendors carry them as well) http://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-strap-cutter

Offline scottmc

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »
Thanks for the information, Chuck.  I will look into that.  I used to cut strips from a side before but the best I had was a 36" metal rule so always had to adjust it after 36" and things got off a little.  I will definitely look into the strap cutter.  I think there is a Tandy in Harrisburg, PA and my son lives there so it gives me an excuse to visit soon.  I am almost done with a bag I've been working on out of bark tan deer so I'll try and figure how to post some pictures of when complete.
Remember Paoli!

Offline scottmc

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 04:04:03 AM »
Well, I'm just about done with my pouch and am working on the strap.  I have a Curt Lyle knife that I'd like to attach to the bag somehow that is rustic in nature.  In other words, the southern mountain farmer just wanted it to be there and accessible.  What is a good method for attaching the sheath?  I have to make the sheath and am considering using rawhide as an inner lining to the outer bark tan deer that the bag is made out of.  Never used rawhide before but it sounds like it would add some tough strength to the inne part of the sheath.  This bag will eventually accompany my new, in the process .40 squirrel rifle with Myron Carlson southern mountain hardware.
Remember Paoli!