Author Topic: New to black powder shooting  (Read 3062 times)

Ray of the Yankees

New to black powder shooting
« on: February 27, 2016, 04:18:30 AM »
After wanting too for some time, I finally jumped into buying a black powder rifle.  I purchased a LH CVA .50 Hawken Flintlock.  Here are a couple questions I had; For a range rod should I get a brass or stainless steel or does it matter? Has anyone used Frog Lube to protect their guns?  I use it on my modern rifle and it works great but I wasnt sure how if it would affect the black powder.  Lastly is one type of flint better then others? I have heard English flints are good but what about the French amber ones? Thanks in advance guys.

Offline L. Akers

Re: New to black powder shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 06:49:00 AM »
I would prefer the stainless rod over the brass.  The stainless is less apt to bend and won't pick up grit.  Whatever the rod materiel be sure to use a bore protector on it to protect the rifling at the muzzle.  I have only used one french flint (given to me) but it lasted for almost 100 shots then broke.  The english flints seem to just wear down and can be resharpened many times.  I am going to get some more french flints cause I liked the way it sparks.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »
I would recommend stainless with a bore protector.  Patch lube preferred  by me is spit at the range and mink oil in the woods.  Clean up with water and WD40.  Rust protection for long storage Barricade.  I have had good luck with the both English and French flints however I have been using Rich Pierce's white Missouri flints and they work great as well.   :)

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 11:52:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Ray of the Yankees.  I use stainless steel rods and, of course, a bore protector.  Clean the gun with water, dry thoroughly and use a good rust preventative in the bore.  Don't try and use patch lubes for protection as they will probably lead to rust.  I use Barricade or Break Free CLP.  Actually any quality gun oil will protect your bore.  Don't neglect the lock and the gun's exterior.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
I use stainless rods for cleaning and as range rods sometimes. I'm too lazy to use a bore protector, but likely should.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:49:40 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 04:27:03 AM »
I make my own rods from cold rolled steel or nickel plated steel from the hardware store.  Always with a bore guide.  IMO, If you use the bore guide It makes no difference what the rod is made of as long as it's kept out of contact with the rifling.
Mike Lee