Author Topic: W . Ogden  (Read 5075 times)

ken

W . Ogden
« on: January 07, 2016, 04:41:06 AM »
Needing Info on a W. Ogden or a W@C Ogden from Owego New York. A friend is looking for info and things that might ID a peace that he has found.  Thanks in advance          ken

Offline nord

Re: W . Ogden
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 04:48:01 AM »
Write or call ... Tioga Co. Museum in Owego, NY They know a good deal about the man.

I believe I have a friend who owns an Ogden.  Upper Susquehanna style as I remember.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline bfj

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:22:04 AM »
Last summer I seen a W. Ogden double rifle sold at a small auction. I  thought no double barrel rifles were made in the first half of the 1800's so I didn't bid on it. I did some searching on the W Ogden and found he made many double and triple barreled guns. He had also made a rifle for Jim Bridger. I wish now I would have bid on it, it sold for $170.

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 03:51:01 PM »
Like Nord wrote, contact the Museum in Owego. I have some things tucked away somewhere as well, heaven only knows if I can find it. There were three Ogden brothers who made guns, Charlie was one of them. Look in the Virtual ALR Museum as well, as some of their pieces are pictured.
Best regards,
Dale

Offline OLUT

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 04:25:52 PM »
There is more info than you will ever need on the Ogden's  in Swinney's  volumes on the NYS FIREARMS TRADE. Many Ogden guns are still around. Most are easy to recognize. Almost all are stamped on the barrel flat in 2 lines W&C OGDEN OWEGO,NY. The guns that I have are solid, well built, heavy no-nonsense pieces. Note that Abe Williams worked in their shop & after they stopped their careers, Abe made identical over under guns and even used their old "OWEGO,NY" stamp

ken

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:26:41 PM »
Thank you for the info . Any photos of his work ?        thanks again     ken

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »
Best regards,
Dale

Offline OLUT

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 12:02:50 AM »
Rather than trying to post photos, a typical over under by W&C Ogden is illustrated on-line as RIA's item #165 at their upcoming February auction..... if you need similar photos, I'd be glad to e-mail to you ( as it is too much bother for me to mess with Photobucket & the follow-up posting to this site)