Author Topic: Dovetail Chisel  (Read 11104 times)

Bob Rearley

Dovetail Chisel
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find a dovetail chisel as described on page 40 in "recreating The American Long Rifle"?  I know I could use a cold chisel but I would like to find one of these. 

Thanks,Bob

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Dovetail Chisel
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »
Bob,

Not sure wherre you could get the chisel you are refering to.  I think you will be better off just using a small cold chisel.  I grind the bevel a little shallower than the typical factory angle.  You can really raise the metal pretty high.  Seems to work best for me to work the corners first at a bit of an angle and then raise the center section.  Just keep working like this until you have enough metal raised.  when you put your sight or underlug in peen the top down to clinch it with a flat nosed chisel or even just a piece of steel.  Oh, it also seems to work best if you start just a touch of a dovetail with a file first.  You may also have to make a few strokes with the file after raising the metal to sharpen things up as well. 

Bob Rearley

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:21:10 PM »
Thanks Jim.  I thought I would practice on a piece of scrap barrel first.
Bob

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:24:23 PM »
Think Track of the Wolf sells them, or at least one made for that use.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:26:37 PM »
Thanks Jim.  I thought I would practice on a piece of scrap barrel first.
Bob
Sure you can practice; but you will be surprised how easy it is to do a neat job.  Our barrels are plenty soft, which they should be!

northmn

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 10:52:28 PM »
I bought the Track of the Wolf chisel.  It is designed so that you hit longitudinally along the barrel .  Don Getz warned about using some of these tools as he has seen barrel bores dimpled from hammering.  I feel the chisel I hae should not do this.  You could look at a picture of on and make it out of a cold chisel. It does have a flat and proper edge for dovetailing.  Another good tool is to buy a dovetail file which is a triangle file with one side smooth.  you can make one of these too.

DP

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 11:14:15 PM »
Dovetail files are available from Brownells.
Gene

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 12:15:34 AM »
I don't like the "slide along the top of the barrel" dovetail chisel that I have. I seem to hit the barrel as often as the chisel. Of course, I'm a klutz, so......

I only chisel the rear sight dovetail, and I do it like Jim Kibler. All the other dovetails are filed with a triangular file, which has the teeth ground off one side.

Use the barrel loop dovetails, which are hidden, as practice for the sight dovetails.

Hope this helps,
Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

TENdriver

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 01:01:21 AM »
I've had good luck using a cold chisel and a file with a safe edge. 

I haven't done too many but seemed to work pretty smooth and I was happy with the results.

Kevin H

Ephraim

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:03:15 AM »
I bought one from Dixie years ago never got it to work right I just use dove tail files. It lays on the top flat and you strike it with a hammer and it is to rise the sides of the dovetail it may have wrong angle or something it just never worked for me.
Ephraim
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:04:37 AM by Ephraim »

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 02:08:40 AM »
I don't like the "slide along the top of the barrel" dovetail chisel that I have. I seem to hit the barrel as often as the chisel. Of course, I'm a klutz, so......

I only chisel the rear sight dovetail, and I do it like Jim Kibler. All the other dovetails are filed with a triangular file, which has the teeth ground off one side.

Use the barrel loop dovetails, which are hidden, as practice for the sight dovetails.

Hope this helps,
Andy
Hi Andy,
I have made one of these "slide along the top flat" chisels out of hardened & tempered tool steel..... I don't look at myself as a "klutz" but @!*% I hit the flats every time!  I have better luck with a plain old cold chisel held at an angle! At least when I miss I just smash the fingers to pulp but at least in a few days they heal without all the  work of reshaping the barrel flats
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Bob Rearley

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 02:26:46 AM »
Thanks guys.  I have some safe side triangular files and a cold chisel that needs to be reground.  I did not consider the odds of striking the barrel when using the other tool.  I don't think I want to take a chance at dinging my barrel any more than it already is.
Bob

Offline flehto

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 03:39:57 AM »
I use the horizontal dovetail chisel that I purchased from TOW many years ago and  it works like a champ. I use it on all the dovetails except the one for the front sight.  The raised metal  on both sides of the rear sight dovetail is filed into a molding and eliminates the need for a deeper dovetail. The raised metal on the sides of the bbl lug dovetails is pounded down  to give a very tight fit w/ the lug and is then filed  smooth. I use a piece of 1/32" cardboard between the chisel and bbl and haven't hit the bbl yet.....Fred

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 05:14:39 AM »
I have used the specialty chisel on 2 barrels, the first one I clipped the barrel with the hammer, the second one I slowed down a bit and love the results, and didn't hit the barrel either.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

chuck c.

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 06:48:23 AM »
If you spend a little extra money on the dovetail file from Brownell's you'll find that it's not tapered like a standard three corner file. It made the job a lot easier for me.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »
The chisel is used to raise a 'hump' of metal on either side of the dovetail. If you don't want that raised hump, then you don't need the chisel.

I used just a plain old cold chisel, yardsale variety.  Don't try to raise the hump with just one blow. Slow steady hits work better than a few mighty blows. Make a few hits, file to make things even, a few more hits, file a little more. A little cutting oil on the chisel helps move the metal easier, too.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 04:38:48 PM »
I've only just started doing this, but I took a regular cold chisel and ground it to the right shape and it works just fine.

A word of advice when getting the dovetail file from Brownell's:  Take it and grind off the sharp corner opposite the cutting face.  That edge is SHARP, and it will slice your fingers and thumbs wide open if you don't knock off the sharp edge.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 07:31:23 PM »
A word of advice when getting the dovetail file from Brownell's
Another tidbit of advice.  They come in a couple different cuts.  Get the coarse one, not the fine one or you'll spend half your life trying to file a dovetail.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

northmn

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 11:38:48 PM »
A word of advice when getting the dovetail file from Brownell's
Another tidbit of advice.  They come in a couple different cuts.  Get the coarse one, not the fine one or you'll spend half your life trying to file a dovetail.

I bought a fine one and heartily agree to that.

DP