Author Topic: Great build to do with kids  (Read 3003 times)

ddoyle

Great build to do with kids
« on: January 15, 2016, 12:22:38 AM »
Wife gets upset when she comes home and finds the munchkins working with angle grinders and mapp gas so needed a 'safe project' (kidding). Kids can see a make work project a mile away so needed a useful build.

Got the idea from a tutorial on here. (lost the link) used it to entertain/educate kids. (i.e keep them busy while I read ALR posts- drink coffee- lounge on the couch)

why it is a great craft for them or how to justify using thier small hands to sew your toys:

research turtle species- native lore etc

drawing- measuring

lay out

hole drilling (egg beater)

stitching

concoction brewing (dye)- this one is coffee- tea- cinnamon- rusty horseshoe- willow bark

First one out of the wax-Holds 7 -.58 cal balls (design parameters) and mostly lets them out it's mouth. Just cannot be in a rush.  probably more ideal for shot.

Next step- mini assumption sash/finger weaving a strap.

Horner75

Re: Great build to do with kids
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 11:43:49 PM »
My kid's are all grown-up now, but I wish that I could of taught them how to make Dragon side plates!

Rick

PS...Just funning with you.  Nice kid craft!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:45:08 PM by Horner75 »

TurkeyCreek

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:36:17 PM »
Great idea! Thanks for the post.

ddoyle

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 09:14:29 PM »
No problem. It has been a hit for sure. They got a whole ponds worth of critters turned out now and they seem to have become 'toys' with personalitys instead of BP accouterments.

My own person favorite pattern is 'toad shaped' makes it easier to get the mouth/spout right and the tapered body shape lends itself to the sand packing and stretching, Anyone who has seen an old toad hunt can attest that there is no cooler predator  in the boreal so I think it is a legit subject for a hunters pouch.

The waxed leather sure holds it shape even when empty and the more they are handled the nicer they look.