Author Topic: Locks to ID  (Read 3669 times)

ddoyle

Locks to ID
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
I have had these two locks soaking in penetrant for a month or so and am on the verge of trying to get the screws out .

Before I meddle with them I thought I should see if anyone knows what it is I have?

Larger one has an indiscernible touch mark aft of the pan smaller one has no markings.

Offline JCKelly

Re: Locks to ID
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 02:05:56 AM »
The middle one (Germanic styling) looks to me the best bet to put on a rifle.

I suggest selling the other two. They appear to be 20th century, mediocre at best

ddoyle

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 04:05:29 AM »

Any idea what portion of the 20th century? Who might have made mediocre left hand flintlocks?  Maye they show up in some old DGW catalogue?

I like em and suspect they will teach me something and continue to bring joy so not really a sale item. Pretty hard to learn anything if all you do is use Chamber's assembled Silers (i.e there is nothing to fix and the geometry etc is all perfect).

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:39:54 AM »
I am so confused. Are the locks in question the two rusty ones? Are they left handed, or right handed? The rusty ones look like some of the Locks made in Belgium for the African, and South American, trade. Turner Kirkland picked up a bunch of that stuff surplus in Europe.

Hungry Horse

ddoyle

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 07:37:11 AM »
Sorry Hungry, thought I was being clear when I posted but I see the confusion.

The two locks in question are the rusty ones. Large Siler is for scale.

Locks are left handed

larger one is un-used  thou has suffered a bit over the years from previous screw drivers being wielded against it.

Smaller one is used and has what I think are assembly marks, each major part- plate/cock/frizzen has 6 distinct chisel marks on it. Sparked like crazy

Cool I love the 'idea' of them being real world trade gun locks. If I could get confident about that I'd be absolutely in love with them.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:40:46 AM by ddoyle »

ddoyle

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 06:59:59 AM »
Did not realize Mr Turner was the Founder of Dixie Gun Works. No way to know for sure but I like to think these locks did come in a barrel from a Belgian Basement. Kind of makes them a real piece of the history of the art and trade of gun building in modern America. Must have been a treat in 1940-50 to get that catalog and have a chance to buy a flintlock .  With a potential Turner import, a radioactive Hamm and a pre Chambers Siler I am feeling the progression toward a Roller tuned lock....

For anyone else like me who is ignorant of how we got to the point of so many people enjoying playing with these toys.

During the late 1940s and early 1950's, Turner had started dealing in original muzzleloading gun parts, since very few new-made parts were being produced.  That's when he founded Dixie Gun Works, and actually put together the company's first "Antique Gun Parts" catalog, which was made up of only a couple of dozen pages.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 03:09:02 PM »
Did not realize Mr Turner was the Founder of Dixie Gun Works. No way to know for sure but I like to think these locks did come in a barrel from a Belgian Basement. Kind of makes them a real piece of the history of the art and trade of gun building in modern America. Must have been a treat in 1940-50 to get that catalog and have a chance to buy a flintlock .  With a potential Turner import, a radioactive Hamm and a pre Chambers Siler I am feeling the progression toward a Roller tuned lock....

For anyone else like me who is ignorant of how we got to the point of so many people enjoying playing with these toys.

During the late 1940s and early 1950's, Turner had started dealing in original muzzleloading gun parts, since very few new-made parts were being produced.  That's when he founded Dixie Gun Works, and actually put together the company's first "Antique Gun Parts" catalog, which was made up of only a couple of dozen pages.

Just a note. I do not tune locks from other makers.

Bob Roller

ddoyle

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 07:33:23 PM »

Sorry bob I should have said another makers lock plate etc with Roller Internals and reputation ;)

As an end to this thread it seems that double barrel flintlock trade muskets  were exported from Belgium so that is one possible reason for the left handed locks being in existence. ( by the 20th century they really knew how to arrange a double flint gun. handsome)

Anyone interested in Trade guns and modern production of commercial flintlocks here is the search term used to start:  fusils a silex por l'afrique.     

In comparison and contrast comes learning.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »
I am so confused. Are the locks in question the two rusty ones? Are they left handed, or right handed? The rusty ones look like some of the Locks made in Belgium for the African, and South American, trade. Turner Kirkland picked up a bunch of that stuff surplus in Europe.

Hungry Horse
\
@!*% Shapeshifters again!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.