Author Topic: TOW "Original Oil Finish"  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Pete G.

TOW "Original Oil Finish"
« on: January 21, 2016, 07:08:33 PM »
Anybody used this stuff ? Seems to be linseed and some derivative of turpentine. I think I still prefer a tung oil finish for the initial coats, but this stuff might make a good low gloss final finish.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: TOW "Original Oil Finish"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 07:55:37 PM »
Not a very durable finish.I wore it off my personal gun one day hunting in snowy weather wearing wool half gloves.I would never use it again ;) !!!!

Mitch

JCurtiss

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 09:21:21 PM »
I'm using it now after applying Iron Nitrate. It doesn't seem to have a turpentine odor, so I'm stumped as to what it is.

I'm working on my fourth coat and it does have a low-luster sheen, like hand oil rubbed.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »
I just got done using it on a project.  I liked it for penetration.  I think it is thinner than other oils.  After brushing on two wet coats which were tinted, I allowed it to soak in and then rubbed it back.  Then I went over the stock with several thin layers of True Coat from Wahkon Bay and then paste wax.
David 

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 10:04:22 PM »
Dave

Are you out of brown varnish?

Turtle

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:01:18 AM »
 Thanks a Lot. I'm going to go for it.
                                     Rich

Offline David Rase

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 12:13:27 AM »
Dave

Are you out of brown varnish?
Nope, just experimenting and getting some older items off the shelf.  I still have 1 of the 2 bottles you gave me left.  Thanks for asking though.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 12:44:08 AM »
Dave - when you tint are you using aniline dye?

Thanks
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline David Rase

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »
Dave - when you tint are you using aniline dye?

Thanks
For this particular project I used Chambers Lancaster Maple.  Should have some pics in a day or two.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:27:46 AM by David Rase »

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 05:07:53 PM »
Dave....I do something similar....apply 2-3 coats of LMF sealer w/ soak in times, wipe off and a complete dry between coats then a hard rub w/  0000 steel wool to remove any surface finish  followed by 3 finger rubbed in coats of Wahkon Bay Trucoat. A very low sheen finish  is the result.....Fred

ricktull

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 06:34:13 PM »
I agree with tallbear. I used it once on a knife handle, never again!

Joe S

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 02:51:08 AM »
I always find these stain and finish posts interesting, but somewhat baffling.  We go to a lot of trouble to get the fine details of materials, architecture and furniture exactly historically correct, then go and put modern stains and finishes on the wood.  Why is that?

It surprises me that there are not more posts discussing the various historically correct finishes. My experience has been that 18th century stains and varnishes are at least the equal of modern finishes, and arguably much better than most. 

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 03:39:22 AM »
True Coat from Wahkon Bay. about $7 for 2 oz or $20 for 8 oz.  That is well over $300 a gallon. 

Oil finishes per Russ Fairfield. 
http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish7.shtml
My Home-Brew Oil/Varnish Finish
     I mix my own oil/varnish because I have control of the ingredients, it is always fresh, and it is less expensive to use than commercial products that contain less than 20% finishing solids. $35.00 a gallon is a lot to pay for something that is 80% mineral spirits or other thinners. My opinion may be somewhat biased because I learned to mix my own finishes before any of the commercial mixtures were available.
      I use a mixture of equal parts 100% pure Tung Oil, Varnish, and Turpentine. The proportions aren't critical. If there is any error in the proportions, it should be towards a lesser amount of oil, and a greater quantity of thinner. Additional oil will improve its wiping properties, but it will also increase its drying time.
      In my opinion, McCloskey's "Man'O War" Gloss Spar Varnish (in the red can) is the best varnish on the market for turned wood. It has all of the benefits of a spar varnish because of its Tung Oil, phenolic, and alkyd resins. Its only disadvantage is that it is more expensive than other varnishes. I have always preferred the traditional alkyd varnishes for furniture and turned wood, but they are getting difficult to find, and I have limited experience with the floor finishes mentioned earlier.
      Pure Gum Spirits of Turpentine are used for the thinner because the natural oils become a part of the finish and enhance the qualities of the varnish. Other thinners do not become a part of the finish. Turpentine substitutes are nothing more than an expensive form of Mineral Spirits (paint thinner) that evaporates more slowly.
      Either 1-K kerosene, VM&P Naptha, or Mineral Spirits can be substituted for the turpentine. Naptha dries faster than Turpentine, Kerosene dries slower and mineral spirits dries only slightly faster, but also gives the mixture a shorter shelf life. None of them impart anything to the finish. The new odorless Mineral Spirits is not "odorless" and it is more expensive.
      I use whatever good quality 100% Tung Oil is available at the local paint store because I like to inspect the cans for signs of aging before buying. Old Master'sŪ and Hope'sŪ are the brands usually available, and both are good quality. Boiled Linseed Oil can be used, but the resulting finish is softer and it will become darker faster than with Tung Oil. Changing the oil that is used to a 50/50 mixture of Tung Oil and Boiled Linseed Oil seems to better enhance the grain in highly figured wood such as Maple.

For Gunstock finishes I basically follow Frank Whiton's guide on this link. 
https://www.firearmsforum.com/firearms/article/3037
His secrets are simple, dilute the finish for the first coat so that it soaks in better.  It takes a lot of work, but once I am to that point, I already have a lot of work involved in the stock so why not do a Grade A job on the finish.  I also use it on my collector's grade game calls. 

The 2 links are like my Bible for finishes, neither are simple or easy, but in my 60 plus years of woodworking I have not found a simple and easy secret to finishing wood.  Good finishes start with a good sanding and a good finish is slow and hard work.   

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 05:54:44 PM »
Thanks to all who are posting.  I just sidelined my TOW oil finish an ordered some Wahkon Bar Trucoat to go over my LMF sealer.   
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.