Author Topic: Hello all, new here and some identification & wood preservation questions  (Read 6351 times)

spacecommander

Hello everybody, I'm new to this board but have been playing with black powder since the late 70's early 80's. Just picked up a 36 cal long rifle flintlock reproduction of unknown origin. There is a crack in the wood - most likely due to where I live, New Mexico - it's very dry here. Would like to know what to put on the wood stock to help prevent further cracks. Also - can anybody identify the barrel maker from the mark near the breech? The closest thing I could find related to this is a kit on Track of the Wolf for the Joseph Long rifle but that's in 40+ cal and has a different lock and such.

Here's a link to the images: http://www.pbase.com/spacecommander/smokepole

Thanks!!

Offline smylee grouch

that barrel has lots of cuts, how many groves does it have?

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
It looks like it might be a european factory repro to me. "I" could that be Invest Arms? It does not look like it is a custom american build. Not sure about the rifling in the barrel.
Galations 2:20

spacecommander

that barrel has lots of cuts, how many groves does it have?

Looks like 12

spacecommander

It looks like it might be a european factory repro to me. "I" could that be Invest Arms? It does not look like it is a custom american build. Not sure about the rifling in the barrel.

Thought it might be a kit of mostly American parts and a different barrel. There are no other marks anywhere, usually expected to see a bit more if it were from Europe.

Hey - got out the micrometer - .372 and .390. ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????? That's no 36 caliber! Looks like I'll put some lead on a bolt or get some wax and get a more accurate measurement. I literally just picked this up yesterday. Tag said 36 cal, I just assumed they were correct.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:27:03 AM by spacecommander »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Spacecommander,

Welcome to ALR.  When you are measuring for caliber, be sure you are measuring from top of land to the opposite top of land, not down in the bottom of the grooves.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Looks like the rifle Numrich Arms sold back in the early 70s. Looks to me like the one they called the minute man. Then again my brain has trouble remembering .

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Yep, I believe Numerich was Invest Arms...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:56:01 AM by Ken Prather »

spacecommander

Measured a few more times - looks like 378-379 and .395
Do believe this is a 38 caliber rifle . . . . Will do a slug and take it to somebody with proper measuring tools - a micrometer isn't good enough. This is to be expected, an oddball size. ;-) I had a feeling something was amiss when I took a 38 cal (357) Hollow base wadcutter and it rattled around in there. Heard of people using them in 36 cal rifles, hadn't planned on using them, but curiosity got the better of me so out one came and it just rattled too much. Plus, I can't see how a HBWC could work as where would the grease grooves go?

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
I'd be careful and have the barrel checked by a gunsmith before shooting it. The bore looks pretty messed up.

spacecommander

Re: Hello all, new here and some identification & wood preservation questions
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 03:29:00 AM »
I'd be careful and have the barrel checked by a gunsmith before shooting it. The bore looks pretty messed up.

Took the picture before I cleaned the bore. It's smooth and pit free. Thanks, though.

spacecommander

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 01:02:05 AM »
Anybody got some advice on wood preservation here in New Mexico where it's very dry? I'd like to keep that crack from expanding. Other than storing in a place that's not as dry . . . .

wbradbury

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 02:17:46 AM »
I don't think the dry climate is going to affect the wood, personally. If it were mine, I would take the butt plate and toe plate off, get as much glue in the crack as I could and then clamp it.  Then you can put some sealer on the end grain while your at it. That's about all you can do short of restocking it. Those are my ideas. Good luck, Will

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 03:13:57 AM »
After gluing and clamping, I would also glue a dowel or two through the stock from butt plate to toe plate.

spacecommander

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 06:12:17 AM »
Thanks, folks!

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 06:44:55 AM »
Spacecommander,

There is a product, Kramer's Best Antique Improver, that will help put some moisture back in your stock in a dry climate.  As I understand it, it is often used by museum conservators on antique furniture.  I was told about it by a gun conservator several years ago and found it a very nice product.  Not sure what all is in it, but by the smell it contains some lemon oil.  It's not cheap, but an eight ounce bottle will last you for a long time. 
http://www.kramerize.com/Introduction.htm

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

ddoyle

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 11:34:56 AM »
Working from memory here so take it with salt. I think there is a  post by Taylor talking about using thin CA glue to address checks in a piece of wood used for building a bow. Maybe search "english Long bow" or "war Bow".

Again from memory but I think it stopped the checking. If the glue and the technique he used can stop checking on a flexing bow it should work on a stock. Worth a look.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
A thin super glue called Zap-A-Gap is supposed to to be the best for filling cracks in bows. I bought some this week off ebay to fill a crack on my current gun build. The thin stuff has a pink label.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 06:26:36 PM »
I don't know who made this gun, but it is not a Numrich minute man. The minuteman is more of a Lancaster style, and has a patch box. In fact none of the fittings on this rifle look like Numrich parts. If the gun is an Italian import it will have a sealer on it that will make putting anything on it to remedy the over drying a waste of time, and material. I have a Zoli Harper's Ferry that I had to use aircraft epoxy stripper on to get the sealer off.

Hungry Horse