Author Topic: smooth or not?  (Read 2777 times)

paul

smooth or not?
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:50:53 AM »
Does rifling adversely affect shot pattern if a rifled barrel is used for shot? Have a mediocre Spanish-made rifle barrel (.45 cal.) that I'd like to use for shot purposes, and don't know if it's advisable to smooth out the rifling or simply use it as is. Suggestions? Tks!

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: smooth or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 04:36:33 AM »
The very few times I tried shot in rifle, the rate of twist threw the shot all over Idaho---and I was in Washington...

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 04:44:53 AM »
Hi Paul

I would definitely smooth it out and have a smooth rifle.  One reason this is important, is that if you shoot a few shots through it, depending on the condition of the rifling, you will find a lot of leading in the grooves of the barrel.  I think it would be nearly impossible to keep it clean.  As far as shot spread, once it is a smooth-bore, I think it would be about the same as any un-choked barrel.  No idea how the rifling would affect your pattern.

Is the barrel straight?  I assume it is, since it is a Spanish-made reproduction.  What is the distance across the flats?  Once that is known, and you do chosen to re-bore it, you might even be able to open it up a little more, if that is desirable to you.  If you have an inch across the exterior flats, then boring it out to .50 cal would be totally possible, and maybe more.  I would want to stay with standard calibers, since you might want to try shooting buck-and-ball loads through it as well.

Matt
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:46:50 AM by M. E. Pering »

ddoyle

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 05:40:25 AM »
Like a doughnut.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 05:50:08 AM »
I had an italian made percussion rifle in .58 cal that I tried with shot some 25 years ago. I wanted to see if I could use it for partridge, but it shot huge donuts at best. I tried making shot cups of recipe cards but no luck.
After missing a sitting partridge at 8 yards, with a load of 71/2 shot , I gave up on it. If I recall, mine was a 1 in 48 in twist . If you have a slower twist, you might have better luck, but I just don't think it's worth the trouble.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 10:35:54 PM »
Back in the late 70's, I had a .58 Hawken that Taylor built using a Large barrel- 60 or 66" twist.  I used to shoot 1 1/2oz. of 7 1/2's with 85 or 90gr. of 2F and killed a bunch of grouse with it too but at very close range, only out to 20yards or so while walking old winding logging roads in grown-up cut blocks, mostly 2-track paths through the trees. In some places, a bit of fine gravel shows and that is where you'll find ruffed grouse. I never patterned it on paper, but I suspect it shot shot, not too badly - close in.
If I wanted to shot a lot of shot and only had a .45 - I'd remove the rifling by boring and reaming or better yet, attempt to buy a smooth .45.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V