Author Topic: First shots with new Flinter  (Read 5512 times)

C. Cash

First shots with new Flinter
« on: March 19, 2009, 05:19:41 PM »
Finally got out with my new longrifle for it's first shots.  Like most of the things I undertake, it was somewhat comical.  The rifle had not yet had it's sights roughed in and I came prepared to saw and peck the sights around until I was on paper.  Set up for 25 yards just to get a better chance to see where it was shooting initially.  I noticed from dry firing the flint had become loose and dull, so I tried to take the flint out.  My screw driver had a loose/stripped handle and would not turn the bolt to get the thing out.   Two hundred tools in my possibles bag and not one way to get the flint out  of  my gun.   So, I just figured what the heck and shot anyway. Loaded up 55 grains Goex 2F and Buffalo bore round balls, LHV lube.  This was my first shot with a flintlock of my own and it had been many years....so just to get the feel of it going off I put the shot out into the dirt bank at about 300 yards.  The speed of ignition shocked the heck out of me...hardly any delay and that ball travels suprisingly fast for a light load.   I loaded up again and took aim at my target:

Had to chuckle after the shot, as things never happen that way for me.  I know...just one shot.  But as I continued to mess with the rifle the range officer came up and said he was closing the gates(3 PM), evidently because the wind was blowing from the South and they always close at that time when  the wind is blowing in that direction.  So, all I got to take was 2 shots, but was happy with how the rifle was printing.  B.J. Habermehl put this together.  It is from a Jack Garner (TVM) kit.  Green Mtn. 54 cal. with left handed Land R lock and triggers.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 05:24:45 PM by C. Cash »

lew wetzel

Re: First shots with new Flinter
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »
chris,even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then...lol
great looking gun...glad to see you out enjoying it...

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:18:10 PM »
Beautiful rifle.  But, again, the lock was installed on the wrong side!  What's this with "backerds" made guns?   ::)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

C. Cash

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 06:29:37 PM »
chris,even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then...lol
great looking gun...glad to see you out enjoying it...

That same thought went through my head too Chris!  Good to see your post.  I was  taken  back to  being a kid again.  Remembered standing there as  the smoke cleared on my CVA Kentucky kit when I was 12 years old and just being amazed and overjoyed that it all just WORKED!  Still in shock that the flint is so fast and can see why it stayed so popular even when cap guns came along.  This could get serious.......

Thanks fellas for the comments and thank you B.J. Habermehl for this great rifle.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 11:02:28 PM »
Way to go - not much work on that one needed- maybe!  Similar thing happened to me with my .40 squirrel rifle with new sights- no adjustment needed.  I use 65gr. 3F or 75gr. 2F in that one, but then, it's only a .40w ith 48" twist.   55gr. 2F in a .54?- might have to do some filing afterall when you start putting in at least 80gr.  Some guns shoot higher with more powder, some shoot lower.  Keep us informed, please, C Cash.

C. Cash

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 11:13:20 PM »
Will do Daryl.  Hopefully I'll get some  more serious range work/practice in on the next trip out.  Or...maybe I'll just keep my one shot group and call it done! ;D  ;)  I'm sure it will go downhill from  there.......

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 12:50:49 AM »
An interesting observation Daryl made.  In every case (for me so far) the higher the charge, the higher the poi.  Example: in my .45 I use a target/general load of 53grns of 3f and it hits point of aim, for me, at 50yds.  Loaded with my deer load of 80grns it hits a good 2" and change high at 50yds.  40grns puts the ball low and out of sight below the bbl.  When I sight in a new rifle I try to decide what my primary use will be.  Then, I find a good, accurate, target/everyday load that hits point of aim and test to see how high the heaviest load I'll use will strike.  With the .45 that means I aim a shade low on deer up to 75 yds or so.  The target load still allows me to head shoot squirrels without using "Kentucky windage".   This, at least, has been my experience.

George F.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 01:25:47 AM »
Sounds like a few people here can relate some. I built my first, and when it came time to bring it to life, I went to a nearby field, saw a spackle bucket about 25 yards away leveled the rifle and pulled the trigger.Bang! I was real proud. The ball actually bounced off the bucket. It was a .40 with 40 grains of fff. I guess all that grease and oil in the barrel effected the load. Still I was proud as a new Father,  ...Geo.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:56:58 AM »
An interesting observation Daryl made.  In every case (for me so far) the higher the charge, the higher the poi.  Example: in my .45 I use a target/general load of 53grns of 3f and it hits point of aim, for me, at 50yds.  Loaded with my deer load of 80grns it hits a good 2" and change high at 50yds.  40grns puts the ball low and out of sight below the bbl.  When I sight in a new rifle I try to decide what my primary use will be.  Then, I find a good, accurate, target/everyday load that hits point of aim and test to see how high the heaviest load I'll use will strike.  With the .45 that means I aim a shade low on deer up to 75 yds or so.  The target load still allows me to head shoot squirrels without using "Kentucky windage".   This, at least, has been my experience.

I've had guns go both ways - current .40 and my .58 Hawken both shot lower with more powder - as do most BP ctg. guns and handguns. Seems to me I had a .50 that did the same - lower with more powder.  Neil's .40 (actually Susan's .40) shoots spot-on with his accuracy load - reduce the charge or raise the charge and it shoots lower - or is it higher - go figure that one. I now have a headache.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 04:12:31 AM »
Guns are individuals; that's for sure.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »
Guns are individuals; that's for sure.
I'd add they are like women - @!*% hard to please ;) And get to perform to our wishes!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:47:38 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 08:03:28 PM »
Now, now.   :o