Author Topic: First time to shoot a flintlock  (Read 13103 times)

JCurtiss

Re: First time to shoot a flintlock
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 05:16:36 PM »

My tip is to keep the touch hole open with a thin wire when loading.  Wide enough to almost block the hole yet still let air pass.  Just into the touch hole opening, no further. 

Now that's a clever trick, thanks!

JCurtiss

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Flintlocks aren't plug and play. 

Congratulations on getting off 12 shots in one range outing.  This is an accomplishment for a first timer solo.

I'm beginning to realize that you're correct about FL not being plug and play!

Thank you for encouragement.

Jason

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 06:19:47 PM »
Eric Bye's book on Flintlocks is a pretty good all round reference for muzzleloading in general and flintlocks in particular.   It could help you through some of the 'plug and play' issues.

JCurtiss

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 09:04:18 PM »
Eric Bye's book on Flintlocks is a pretty good all round reference for muzzleloading in general and flintlocks in particular.   It could help you through some of the 'plug and play' issues.

Thank you, excellent suggestion!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 09:57:32 PM »
 I had a lot of trouble with inconsistent ignition with my flintlock when I first got it.  The drilled vent was a bit behind the center of the pan, and FITP were common.  So I had a Chambers "White Lightning" liner installed, centered over the pan and even with its rim, and now I don't even think about FITP.  .530 balls with 10oz bull denim, Lehigh Valley lube (also Mr. Flintlock).  I'm going to the range tomorrow for more experimentation, which, darn it, I just have to keep doing.  At least, that's what I tell my wife.

Good combination -  10 ounce denim, not .010". I measure 10 ounce denim as being .0225" with my calipers squeezed tightly.

I had some Oxyoke patches marked as .018"- but I measured those at .015". Go figure. Oxyoke patches are not good patches due to mislabeling and lousy lube.  Their yellowish lube is not too bad, but isn't very good. Their OIL lube is must plain waste of time.

We mostly use a water based lube for trail walks and plinking.  We use WWWF with a bit of neetsfoort oil added. Shake well, apply to pre-cut patches and have at it. WWWF is Winter Windshield Washer Fluid.  The oil is simply Neestfoot Oil (not Neetsfoot Compound). I add about 2ounces per point. The oil seems to slow evapouration in the summer time.  Only lube up enough patches for the day's shoot.  Those not used, lay out to allow the lube to evapourate.  They will work perfectly the next time, if re-lubed the same as before.

Jason, your combination was a good one as to ball diameter and patch 'advertised' thickness.  

I think most ALL of your loading problems were with the lubrication. The load you were shooting is a squib (baby) load in a .50 rifle.  Most guys here with .50's, shoot 80 to 90gr. 2F - not 3F - they use 2f because it shoots more accurately, is easier on the patch due to lower pressure generated and fouls not at all with their ball and patch combinations.

The guys here, use Bob's and others advise above on patch lube - wet is the key here - water based for target, then an oil or grease-type for hunting where few shots are fired.

None of us has to wipe at any time while shooting. My bag has a vent pick and it is used only IF the vent becomes plugged with a piece of fouling.

Wiping the bore will push $#@* down into the vent's inner cup and cause ignition problems.  Good for you, on being able to pull the load at home.

If we have a flash in the pan (FITP), we prick the vent and re-prime and try it again. If again it flashes, we re-prick the vent, prime, tip the rifle a tich, and using the short starter knob, tap the top barrel flat with the starter's knob. This will allow some granules of powder to trickle through the vent. If it again FITP, it means you forgot powder. Pull the ball or trickle enough FFFFG through the vent, point it downrange and fire again, blowing  the ball out the barrel- fffffftthup.

If you insist on using 3F- fine - I would probably top out around 85gr. for plinking. Your rifle will tell you, accuracy wise what is the best load to use.  You cannot pre-determine what the gun will shoot, but with experience, you will have a @!*% good idea.
It should certainly shoot better with 60, possibly 65gr., then if not using a .020" or thicker patch in normal .010" rifling depth, you probably will start to burn patches. Pick up ALL of your spent patches the READ them to see what the load is doing.  Keep using .020" or 10 ounce denim and the lubes noted and you will be able to increase the charge to where the rifle really cracks on discharge and shoots accurately at 50 and 100yards.

Note, about any load- even 50gr. 3F will make a single hole at 25 yards off a rest- but usually falls apart accuracy wise past that range, ie: 50 yards.

It takes more powder to shoot accurately at longer ranges than at 25 yards. Shooting at 25 yards will teach you nothing about accuracy,. but will grow familiarity with the rifle and it's loading needs.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:09:56 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Ray-Vigo

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2016, 12:18:56 AM »
I keep a vent pick with my priming horn; I use it every shot when at the range. My flintlocks like the prime leading through the pan right up to the base of the touch hole (but not in the touch hole). I use a little tap on the stock to get the prime set that way. This works well for me.

I will say that after a full morning of sustained shooting, things do deteriorate a bit because it just gets dirty. Cleaning fixes that, but if you're trying to shoot a very dirty firelock, you do start to see declines in consistency, even with proper priming and picking. You want that pan/touch hole area clean.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 12:47:27 AM »
Dewey, so far I have been fortunate enough to have friends who either have taken bears or new some taxidermists who were willing to part with the fat. I would like to get it directly from a bear but haven't been fortunate enough to do that yet.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 03:27:52 AM »
I use to use .015" pillow ticking until I found a thicker material.  In the .50 I still use a .490" ball but the patch is now .024".  It may be too tight in some barrels but loads fairly easily in mine.  60 grains of 3F appears to be a good target load as well as a good hunting load.  When $$ permit I'll get a .495" mold.  Although I shoot a .440" ball in the .45 along with a .024" patch, The .445" ball I cast up loaded just as easily and shot the same.  Mink oil for hunting and Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube for the range.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 04:16:28 AM »
Today's results:  With the tighter patch and ball combination (.530 ball and denser denim), I shot the center out of the bullseye at 50 yards.  Daryl's advice has been spot on--a tight patch and ball combination means you don't have to wipe between shots, which I didn't do this time.  And I used spit for lube for the first time--the price is certainly right.  Thanks, Daryl, for your wisdom.  20 rounds, no FITP and no picking, either (nose not included).

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »
I'm glad it's working for you, Natureboy.  I find with 3f for the main charge, I don't have to prick the vent, but with 2F, now and then, the vent will get a piece of fouling, perhaps off the bottom or side of the frizzen, close the vent off on the outside. I got into a habit of looking at the vent as I prime - seeing powder granuals right  there at the hole is normal with a White Lightning liner. If I see a piece of fouling, I have to prick the vent - only happens with 2f and only on that one rifle. I think the frizzen face that just barely clears the side of the barrel at the vent on that one lock, gets a fouling buildup that eventually scraps off and covers the vent hole- maybe?
Enjoy your rifle!
Daryl

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 03:07:39 AM »
  The only fouling I noticed this time was in the breech area, and it made it hard to ram the last inch or so to have the powder and ball seated fully.  So I wiped the bore to remove it, and it was fine after that.  I might have wiped it twice in the 20-shot session.  I use 2f in my .54, 42" barrel.  I just wish I had 20-year-old eyes again--the target looks a bit fuzzy way out there.  I guess I'll just have to go back to the range and try that hole in the tape method.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:10:10 AM by Natureboy »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 03:35:02 AM »
video corupted - deleted post
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:38:07 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 10:50:29 PM »
Yep, what Daryl said.

I sometimes experience a "crud ring" after lots of shooting but usually not.  A damp patch pushed down only as far as the crud ring will remove it and not plug the vent hole.  And as Daryl said, a tight prb and a liquid lube will keep you shooting all day long.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 11:01:46 PM »
  All day long--that sounds good to me.