Author Topic: Most accurate barrel manufacturer  (Read 10031 times)

gmerrell

Most accurate barrel manufacturer
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »
Very new to the sport, was wondering who you think makes the best barrels
Greg

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
Re: Most accurate barrel manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »
You have many great barrel makers to choose from...

in no particular order..I have bought and shot these with 100% satisfaction

FcI barrels-Charles Burton.....  bought rifled barrels
Rice Barrels...........................bought rifles and fowler barrels
Getz barrel company................bought rifled barrel
Ed Rayle.................................bought exact copy fowler barrel
Bobby Hoyt.............................Had a barrel relined to smaller caliber

Been 100% happy with all the above..

Most of these shops are a one man band.... keep trying to contact them...they are busy and the machinery is loud...phones are not always answered ...

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:01:29 PM »
Define "accurate"  .    A heavy barrel for bench gun ?    A light swamped barrel for a small caliber rifle?
Like smokeless powder rifles, there is a choice /degree of what we specify in terms of accuracy.  I have a .54 cal under hammer percussion lock heavy barrelled target rifle that is a tack driver. It is not my favourite off hand rifle. Any of the barrels mentioned in the last post are capable of shooting better than you can hold. You just need to find the right load.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 04:31:01 PM »
I had a rifle with a Getz barrel and it shot great. My current Jaeger with a Rice barrel is awesome. I've never shot the other makers in a rifles gun.
Greg

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 05:06:29 PM »
I don't think I have ever had a barrel that wouldn't shoot.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

rhbrink

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »
I don't think I have ever had a barrel that wouldn't shoot.
Me too! There might have been one or two that I had to work at it a little bit harder to get it the point where I was happy but they all will shoot better than I can.

RB

Offline retired fella

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 08:11:13 PM »
In a five shot match I always call the wide shot a flier..  absolutely no way it could be my fault...       ::) ::) ::)

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »
I have never had a barrel from any manufacturer that wouldn't shoot better than I could shoot it.  The ONLY bad barrel I've ever had was the first one I made.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »
I have only ever had one barrel I could not get to shoot accurately, but it was a first attempt by a fellow at making 'Hand Made' barrels. Apparently, later barrels he hand made shot very well, many exceptionally well.

I watched my brother put 5 consectutive offhand shots at 100 meters, into a group the size of a fine china tea cup, late 1980's I think it was, - yes - 3" for 5 shots offhand at 100 meters with a flintlock rifle with open sights - WE are lucky he can't see well enough or hold well enough to do that today. That is/was an exceptional group, but I was there, I witnessed it. The barrel was a Tonges barrel- with exceptionally deep grooves - .025" or so & a .50 cal. seems to me.

I would add Green Mountain to the "Exceptionally Accurate" barrel list.

Too - my Goodoien .40 was also a peach - advertised as a Match-grade barrel. A friend needed an accurate rifle, so I sold it to him - of course, now I have to compete against him.  

My Bill Large .50 barrel from the 70's could easily have been marked as match-grade, although it was a .58, and exceptionally accurate for the day but my GRRW .69 is also "match grade", just a bit harder to shoot accurately due to it's appetite for huge powder charges to give that accuracy with it's 480grou round ball.

I have just ordered a new Rice .32 barrel to replace the barrel currently on my squirrel rifle.  I expect the Rice barrel to show much better accuracy than the Whatever-it-is barrel currently on that rifle.  The best I can ge with it, is 1" to 2" at 50yards from a rest - obviously THAT one needs to be replaced - it too inaccurate - for me, but I do not know that barrel's make - it's rifling-style of wide lands and narrow grooves matches nothing made in the last 30 years that I've seen.

For killing squirrels at 25 yards, it is all that is needed - it just isn't accurate enough for trail walks where shots run from 12yard card cuts to 120yards steel plates.

So - like the 'boys' (other old guys) asked, what is your required accuracy level and/or type of shooting?

An accurate barrel for trail walks will be quite different from a dedicated match barrel for bench-rest shooting, or different again for a chunk match, or plank shoot- or hunting moose or elk?  The trend towards increased capability to produce better accuracy, rises with bore size- but, there comes a trade-off with the increased recoil generated by loads required to produce the accuracy the larger bores are capable of giving you.  For example, my .69 is capable of producing exceptional accuracy at 100 to 200 yards, but it requires 165gr. of 2f powder to do it.  Slightly less accuracy can be readily obtained with a .58 or .62 using a mere 130 to 140gr. of powder but shooting much lighter balls which have the tendency to kick less, much depending on the style of rifle used.  

So - what are your requirements?  All of the listed barrel makers can produce accurate barrels - however there are other companies specializing in match-grade barrels for special purposes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:35:34 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

dagner

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 11:21:42 AM »
 legacy barrel in ohio is making some outstanding  record setting barrel at friendship for   offhand -chunk -bench 
dag

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:27:30 PM »
I think all the barrel makers today are top notch. I have more Burton barrels than others but like all of them. If you will find the load your barrel likes it will shoot good as any. Just takes range work an trying different loads/patches/lubes
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 04:43:15 PM »
What are your accuracy requirements?  Have you ever had a bbl that would not shoot to your expectations? 
Hold to the Wind

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 05:14:21 PM »
Mine are simple, one inch out to 75 yards. Two inches at 100 from a rest. then  I  can't blame the gun. Like to spend alot of time figuring out what my rifle likes. Then it's time to go hunting!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 06:33:54 PM »
 I can't tell you how many times I have been at a shoot, and had the guys with the fancy smancy barrels get their clock cleaned by somebody shooting a production rifle. A good friend had a custom gun on order, that didn't get finished in  time for an upcoming rendezvous. He bought a CVA big bore mountain rifle off the shelf, and beat four hundred shooters with it. Shooting a lot is much more important than seeing how much you can spend on expensive parts.

Hungry Horse

mmprwarner

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 07:15:28 PM »
legacy barrel in ohio is making some outstanding  record setting barrel at friendship for   offhand -chunk -bench 
dag

I have seen a lot of guys have good luck Green Mountain barrels, Gets barrel seemed to be a bit hard to get.  As for myself I have to agree with Dagner.  The legacy barrel shoots as accurately as anything that has ever been on the market as you would expect with the high accuracy barrel.  There custom-built and they are built to order so it may take you a little bit to get one.  Depending on how busy Neil is like Bob said they have set records of friendship and I would highly recommend them as far as the fancy-schmancy barrels having their clocks cleaned by a CVA, Traditions, etc. sometimes not always the barrel's fault.  The shooter has a lot to do with it.  If you need information on how to get a hold of legacy barrels send me a private message I'll be glad to help you out.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 08:04:40 PM »
Let's see.  The barrels currently on my guns are:

Rice
               Green Mountain
               Colerain
               Numrich Arms (exceptional)
               Euroarms .54 barrel (also exceptional)
               Unknowns (one of which has gotten me a first place) 

Barrels I no longer own:

Traditions (excellent)
              CVA
              Douglas
              Pedersoli

All of these barrels have been splendid in the accuracy dept.  I've never had any complaint about any of these.  I'd say one has to LOOK in order to find a bad barrel nowadays.   
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 03:37:28 AM »
Don Getz (may he rest in peace) used to say that any barrel that was uniform in it's bore without loose or tight spots, and had rifling, would be extremely accurate.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

gmerrell

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 09:47:26 AM »
If my son (17 years ) can do 1" at 50 - 75 yards with a deer/squirrel rifle he may pick black powder over a black gun.  He shot a lot of precision rifle a few years ago so he is used to shooting 5-10 shoots all touching offhand.  I'm afraid if I use a less expensive barrel he may lose interest due to not hitting anything.  But it sounds like I don't have to worry about that.
Greg

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 03:54:29 PM »
If my son (17 years ) can do 1" at 50 - 75 yards with a deer/squirrel rifle he may pick black powder over a black gun.  He shot a lot of precision rifle a few years ago so he is used to shooting 5-10 shoots all touching offhand.  I'm afraid if I use a less expensive barrel he may lose interest due to not hitting anything.  But it sounds like I don't have to worry about that.
Greg
Well, I certainly wouldn't cheap out on a barrel. Any of the current top makers would be a good choice.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 04:29:48 PM »
Greg

Offhand shooting is much more a test of shooter than BBL. 

If he's not loading his own whizbang ammo, jumping from magazine loading to bbl loading may be too much of a transition.  If he's looking for an excuse (hey man i heard them ain't accurate), he's not interested and will likely move on. 

Load development is paramount to gun accuracy, technique is king of off-hand accuracy.  Fair warning: lock times will slower, bbl time will be longer, both of these mean that a shooter must be flawless to keep shots tight when shooting without a rest.

GET a style of rifle that requires a long and swamped bbl, this makes the offhand position much more tolerable.  All the info is here.

Hold to the Wind