Author Topic: Warts and all  (Read 6256 times)

JCurtiss

Warts and all
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:47:17 PM »
Here's a few pictures of what was intended to be a "York-style" rifle. I'm still working on the finish, but I'm not sure it will look much better than it does now.  Notably the finish really magnifies all the warts.  This was my first rifle, so I guess I can't be too discouraged about all the warts. The base-finish is Kilber's "Iron Nitrate" followed by TOW "Nut Brown" stain and TOW "Original Oil " top coat.

The lock and barrel are cold blued.  The barrel is swamped and 50 caliber. I think it's manufactured by Rice? It has a fancy "R" stamped on the bottom, but I purchased it from Jim Chambers.  The lock is Jim Chambers and I find it to be an impressive piece of precision machinery!

Offline PPatch

Re: Warts and all
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »
For your first rifle it is looking good, I can't spot any really outstanding "warts."

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 07:58:16 PM »
Really,looks good from here,maybe a little more experance with giving the brass that aged look is about all.Nice job on your first build

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »
Great effort and remarkable outcome for a first rifle.  I am interpreting your post and assume this is the Chambers' York rifle parts set.  It is a great shooting rifle with comfortable architecture.

What's next?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline KC

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
I think it looks pretty darn good for a first rifle (or a second, or a third, or.....). Well done. I like it a lot.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:18:53 PM »
Well, JCurtiss, for a first rifle, it sure looks good to me.  Your inletting looks good and tight, and though it isn't really embellished much, that shouldn't be a concern on a first attempt.  The architecture too is attractive and well maintained.  However, the forestock looks like it might be more of a wedge shape rather than rounded.  Usually in York Co. rifles, the forestock was rounded.  But that is not a complaint by any means... I would be proud of it.

Matt

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 09:33:37 PM »
If this is your first rifle, it's exceptional. I really don't see any warts. One small gap at the tip of the toe, no serious biggie. Nice job!
BJH
BJH

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 09:45:16 PM »
I think you did an outstanding job for a first rifle.You also did some nice work installing the patchbox,
Congratulations.

thimble rig

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 10:22:36 PM »
You did real good.Iwould be very proud of that rfile.The only way we learn is by doing.Now what is youre next project going to be.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 10:58:40 PM »
Looks to me like a good solid and quite impressive base hit, a double even. Best advice I ever read on here was to not to try and hit a home run on your first try, just get a good base hit. I can tell you it looks better than my trade gun I built. Did you put any kind of carving around the tang?
Psalms 144

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 11:20:09 PM »
What I can see looks pretty decent.   I see no major problems.  It is an outstanding first rifle.   I destroyed my first rifle.    I didn't want to leave any evidence.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 12:13:49 AM »
A few warts add character but you'd sure have to point them out on this rifle. Outstanding work!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 12:41:51 AM »
Leave it alone.  I think the stock finish looks great...color and finish. 

First rifle?  Well done.  I'd be proud to own and shoot it. 

Best wishes,   Marc

JCurtiss

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 01:21:03 AM »
Thank you for all the compliments and criticism.

And yes, M.E. Pering, the forsetock is one of my warts! The @!*% forestock was badly twisted and I struggled trying to correct it.  In the end, the forestock ended up being more wedge shaped than I would have liked. Other warts include chipped-out areas around the pin holes in some places.  Also, there's too much cast-off, and I didn't know how to reduce it, so the rifle now reminds me of a hockey stick.

Clark B., no there is no special carving around the tang. In fact, there is no special carving anywhere.  Nor is there any engraving and the patch box is crying for some engraving. I did buy a book on engraving, The Art of Engraving but it didn't have enough how-to information in it for me.  So the end result is a pretty bland rifle.

All in all I bought eight books about flintlock rifles for this project and really enjoyed researching the various aspects of flintlock design.  After building this rifle, I came away with a whole new perspective and appreciation for the skill of the original and modern ALR builders.

Thank you again for all the comments and a BIG thank you for all the help this forum has provided over my nearly three-month construction phase.

Jason

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:16:43 AM by JCurtiss »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 04:53:16 AM »
Jason you built a fine rifle an you should be proud of yourself an what you have learned. Now on to round two!

Willbarq

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
It looks nice. When you stare at something too long you nit-pick it. It's the nature of the game in any kind of project that requires a keen eye. (in any case) It looks super.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »
Fine job, keep up the good work.           Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »
   That's a good looking wart.  ;D ;D.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

kaintuck

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 04:24:49 AM »
If you want to age that brass, just cold blue....oooo steel wool back to desired age----
Nice work for your 1st!.....
There's always a next one, and I liked all of mine, but I like the 1st, not that she's the best.....but because she was the first. So yes, I still have her!

Marc n tomtom

ddoyle

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »
Looks great. There is a tutorial/post on here where Taylor (IIRC forgive me if I am mis attributing) puts cast into a fusil stock using hot oil. Kit Raven shear also describes the technique. I.e you can make it into a lacross stick instead of a hockey stick if it proves a problem.

Did you use Kibler's Tannic Acid technique along with the Nitrate stain?