Author Topic: Brown barrel and iron hardware or leave natural  (Read 3328 times)

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
Brown barrel and iron hardware or leave natural
« on: January 28, 2016, 10:11:45 PM »
I bought a Tip Curtis .40 cal. flintlock that has the barrel and iron hardware unfinished. Want the steel brown naturally over time with care or should it be finished. I kinda like the ideal of naturally letting it brown as it ages with use and care. I've been told that some early rifles were made with the iron unfinished but left to age naturally.
Jerry Dickerson

Offline L. Akers

Re: Brown barrel and iron hardware or leave natural
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 01:02:21 AM »
Your steel furniture and barrel will brown naturally with ordinary use unless you purposely keep it burnished bright.  The color will not be even (which is one purpose of browning) becoming darker at points that come in contact with your skin ie the balance point where it is carried and the griprail of the guard.  If that has appeal, let 'er go.

ddoyle

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 01:22:28 AM »
Look thru pics on the Contemporary makers blog. Might see something that strikes you. Some builders make very successful 'Faux' age finishes which are very handsome.

Guess some of it depends on  how long you plan on living. Some of us wont see a bright barrel age beyond brilliant polish while others will watch boil linseed oil finishes turn black!

Might also consider the finish of the barrel in making your decision. If you can strike it so that is not wavy  or if it came real true a bright finish might satisfy but if it is wonky a coarse brown might make you happier.

Best part is that your the only one that needs be smitten with it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:23:51 AM by ddoyle »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 03:03:26 AM »
If you want a natural brown be sure to degrease all the areas you want to rust.  If it ever gets too funky, rub it back and degrease and let it happen again.  Protect the bore and lock internals, let the rest "get natural".  Arrest the process with oil whenever you choose.

I prefer aging in general over show room slick, for regular guns, exceptions made for presentation or target rifles.  The slower/longer "aging" takes place, the more natural it might look.  You gotta cipher what you want and how patient you can be.
Hold to the Wind

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 05:59:22 AM »
Wade you hit the nail on the head of what I'm wanting to do with this rifle! I think Tip's finish on the metal will work real good for this.
By the way I live in Trousdale Co. not far from you.
Jerry Dickerson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »
You could "start" the finish by applying cold blue. The scrub it back with steel wool, or Scotch Bright until you like the colour. Aging naturally might take longer than you have time for, just saying. Much depends on how much you shoot 'her' as well as how she's handled and cared for.  The more you use her, the more she is subjected to BP fouling fumes and the quicker 'she' will age.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 01:43:07 PM »
My question on the topic of rifles received "in the white", such as those assembled and shipped by Tip is whether one must first take the rifle completely apart, including pulling the barrel, trigger, etc,etc. to perform any of the suggestions offered for applying wood/metal finishes.
In doing so, do you now have (sort of) a "kit" spread out in front of you that has to be RE-assembled to shoot...then re-dis-assembled to adjust the finish as some seem to be suggesting.

IF one knows they will want to apply some kind of finish to the metal, and/or the wood...would it make more sense to ask the builder to ship the whole thing in pieces in the first place...???

I've considered the "in-the-white" option but have no clue what happens next.  ???
Perhaps that's why some people just leave'em alone. I shoot a LOT.. I can't imagine handling/shooting/cleaning a rifle with a bare wood..(i.e.: NO finish of any kind) stock.
Help me out here folks...
Thanks.

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 02:28:09 PM »
Don, it's not hard to disassemble or to re-assemble a rifle.  I guess taking a lock or triggers apart can be tricky if you've not done it, but especially with a lock, take a picture and it will all go back together properly.  Pins in a barrel, screws in a buttplate, etc. are no bother at all.  I don't make a habit of tearing my rifles apart after they're built and you will see some wear on the pins and stuff if you're not careful, but if you're talking about disassembling one time to finish a rifle and put it all back together, fear not.