Author Topic: thinning powder horns  (Read 5457 times)

Offline 3 swans

thinning powder horns
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:08:54 AM »
Hello. I need some advise on thinning powder horns. I have some already horns that are flat for primers but are to thick. I checked the archives but did not find anything ( I may have missed it.). I am looking for tips, tools, jigs and everything that may help in the process to do it right. Thanks.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: thinning powder horns
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 07:39:20 AM »
If they are really thick, you can work them down some with a rasp.  Then switch to scraping with a steel scraper or a piece of broken glass.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 09:53:58 PM »
 In this Tutorial on making a Paneled horn, third picture down you will  see how well a scarper
works, that's it laying on the vice. Ron is right about the rasps and files working down to a fine cut to get the rough stuff of and start the shaping and finish with scraping.
 On any flatted horn I make I always scrape before flattening to get as even a thickness as possible and after if I want panels on it.

Tim C.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34423.msg330465#msg330465
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:57:34 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline J Henry

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 10:28:25 PM »
 Advice   go very slow  I have a horn I was scraping thin  :o oopps,,it now has a window where I planned to have a see through panel,,,the window is opened !! ::)  as you go check the thickness by shining a light down the neck and go slow.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:29:35 PM by J Henry »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 11:09:54 PM »
Advice   go very slow  I have a horn I was scraping thin  :o oopps,,it now has a window where I planned to have a see through panel,,,the window is opened !! ::)  as you go check the thickness by shining a light down the neck and go slow.

Great time to try patching a horn. TC

Offline DuncanvonYeast

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 06:37:35 AM »
If they are really thick, you can work them down some with a rasp.  Then switch to scraping with a steel scraper or a piece of broken glass.

-Ron

I take a ferries rasp and use the smooth side cutting diagonally it leaves some clean up work but works very quickly

Duncan von Yeast

Offline hubb

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »
  I've used a auto body file to get rid of the worst on the horns. Does a fairly smooth cut once you get the hang of it and makes quick work. I've also used them smoothing out rasp marks on rifle that I've made.

Horner75

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 05:48:11 PM »
Tim, I heard that you can buy thinner horns from skinny cows!

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 05:29:03 PM »
My preferred method of thinning a horn is a "period correct"  ;D belt sander with a 2" wide, 50 grit belt on it.
I just have little patience for more hand work than is necessary.  Lazy or practical is debatable.  But one cannot argue with the results.  It gets the job done, quickly.
John