Author Topic: strange refinish problem  (Read 3356 times)

Turtle

strange refinish problem
« on: January 29, 2016, 04:39:01 PM »
  I put linseed oil on my cherry stock fowler intending to put on final finish later. Apron seeing some small  areas that needed reshaping,I scraped them to a better shape then recoated them with linseed. Now even after 6 months and reapplicating of linseed,the reshaped areas show up lighter color. Ideas?
                                                       Thanks,Rich

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: strange refinish problem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:02:01 PM »
Going back and matching an area that has been reworked to the rest of the stock is one of the hardest things to do in stock finishing. I have not ever tried this on a cherry stock but I have on maple and walnut. Walnut, unless it has been stained matches up pretty well. Maple I have been able to match up a few times but in most cases I wind up having to to rescrape the whole stock and restaining it, then go back with the finish. You may have to do the same thing with this cherry stock. I know that is not what you wanted to hear but I am affraid that  is what you are going to have to do.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Turtle

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
 I have had this problem on stained maple stocks, but thought that this unstained cherry stock would be OK. I guess that is what thought got me.
                                                                           Rich

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:52:47 PM »
After 6 months...in the shop ?   I did the same type of reshaping/alterations on my cherry stock, but left it out in direct sunlight until the areas blended. Looks great now.  All I can think of is sunlight and perhaps heat.
Try that before anything else.

Turtle

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »
 Thanks for the suggestion. The puzzler is that I never put the stock in the sun before the modifications. In other words, the original finish didn't hardly see the sun either. it turned a nice reddish almost right away. Not much sun here in WNY this time of year, would a spotlight of some kind work?
                                                                   Rich

Thawk

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. The puzzler is that I never put the stock in the sun before the modifications. In other words, the original finish didn't hardly see the sun either. it turned a nice reddish almost right away. Not much sun here in WNY this time of year, would a spotlight of some kind work?
                                                                   Rich
I'm originally from East Aurora.  Most definitely very little sun there this time of year, alot less humidity and heat from 6 months ago as well.  I would expect all 3 would effect your drying time and color.

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 08:15:23 PM »
Unless you keep a stock in total darkness it is exposed to ultra-violet light and will oxidize.  Direct sunlight just speeds it up.

Offline FALout

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 06:09:32 AM »
Cherry is one of those woods that can give you grief when doing repair work.  As already stated, you could expose the most recently worked area to the sun, maybe covering up rest.  Don't even waste time trying to stain the area, as the wood ages, the area will once again stand out from the rest.  If left alone, the area will blend in on its own, it will just take some time, maybe more then your gonna like.
Bob