Author Topic: A little "Dolep" of a lock  (Read 6077 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
A little "Dolep" of a lock
« on: February 02, 2016, 08:25:24 PM »
Hi,
I just finished this little flintlock for an ALR member copied from an original by Andreas Dolep.  It is late 17th or very early 18th century.  Jim Kibler made the castings, which includes all external and internal parts except the screws.  I made those.  Jim's casting are very high quality. I left final polishing to the owner plus he will have to clean up the edges of the plate and flint cock. That is best done with a very light touch so that you do not damage the beautiful edge moldings.  The photo shows it in relation to a large Chamber's English round-faced lock.  I think the original was from a pistol.  It is a very pretty little lock and could be used on a pistol or small fowler.  As you can see there is a lot packed within a small space requiring very precise fitting.  It is good to have some experience building locks before tackling this one.  It is a spectacular sparker and should be very reliable.  However, it does require a firm trigger pull to keep the sear from slipping into the half cock notch when fired.  There is no fly in the tumbler.  It was a great deal of fun to build although balancing the springs and tuning it took me a while.  I have several more to do but they will be much easier now.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: A little "Dolep" of a lock
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »
Beautiful work on a quality project!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 08:51:21 PM »
The curve on the bottom line of the lock plate should help the transition from lock panel to the wrist. Nice effort by both of you.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 08:52:39 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 09:01:57 PM »
How small is "little?"
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Hemo

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 10:08:26 PM »
I bought those castings as well but haven't started building the lock. Mark Silver is doing a six-day course on lock assembly at the NMLRA gunmakers classes at Western Kentucky University this June, and he tells me the Dolep lock is one of the options to put together in his class. I wanted to attend this in the worst way, but it looks like I may not be able to get the time off this year. I hope the course is offered again next year! I'd love to put this lock on a small early fowler.

Gregg

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 10:21:11 PM »
Hi Kermit,
The lockplate is 5 1/16" long.

dave

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:11:10 PM »
Sweet!

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 02:34:51 AM »
That looks great, Dave!  Here is a photo of the original for comparison and showing the cock at rest.

Thanks,
Jim

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:36:30 AM by Jim Kibler »

JCurtiss

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 02:46:59 AM »
Spectacular there Smart Dog!

greybeard

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 04:47:57 AM »
Just a uneducated guess but I bet that frizzen could never rebound and break the flint??
      Bob

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »
Dave,
Some of the Lock screws need blind holes, drilled from the backside of the lockplate.
How do you keep the plate Level when drilling these?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 03:33:43 PM »
Very nice work Dave. Your skills are impressive to say the least.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 04:46:20 PM »
Dave,
Some of the Lock screws need blind holes, drilled from the backside of the lockplate.
How do you keep the plate Level when drilling these?

Best regards
Rolf

Make sure the side being drilled is level by use of shims or maybe plaster of paris
or modeling clay.

Bob Roller

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »
Thanks for looking folks,
This is a very high quality set of castings but the lock is a challenge to build.  Rolf, on the face of the plate there are two flat sections, behind the frizzen and behind the flint cock.  Those allow the plate face  to be clamped securely on a flat surface (wooden jig I made for lock plates, which allows the pan to hang over one side) and drilled from the back side with a drill press.    I double check the surface with a level to make sure it is perpendicular to the drill.  The only blind hole is for the screw holding in the mainspring.  That is a challenge because there is not much thickness and you need enough threads to anchor the screw.  The hole comes very close to the lock surface.  In fact, you can see a little bulge on the surface of the lock where the original hole must have left a paper thin covering of steel.  The other holes not showing are behind the flint cock.  The rear lock bolt hole should be blind.  When building this lock I made some changes from the original that will help the owner inlet the lock. For example, on the original lock, the bend of the large sear spring must be right at the edge of the plate. When installing and removing the lock from its mortice you risk having the spring wear the edge of the inlet and creating a gap.  I moved the spring in from the edge a little.  However, that meant I had to reshape the tumbler a little to clear the sear spring screw and slightly shorten the lower leaf of the spring.  No problem, it just required a little thought.  I also moved the mainspring back a little to allow more clearance for the forward lock bolt and to create a larger and stronger shelf in the mortice for the lock plate to rest on.  That required reshaping the hook of the spring.  I also thinned the spring a little to allow greater clearance if used with a larger fowler barrel rather than a pistol barrel. The spring has a very large bevel on the inside edge, which also will help it clear a larger barrel.  I added a few degrees of preload to the spring to retain its original strength after thinning.  Another nice feature is that the sear bar drops back to the same position at rest, half, and full cock.  There should be no trigger rattle when using this lock.  I really enjoy building all sorts of locks from different periods because each is an historical adventure and I have really begun to understand the technology and the "why" of  things.

dave  
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:16:21 PM by smart dog »

ddoyle

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 07:40:10 PM »
Make sure the side being drilled is level by use of shims or maybe plaster of paris
or modeling clay.

Bob Roller

priceless. thanks.

I just fought this battle by suspending a plate below a frame made of square tool stock with machinists clamps..... worked but friggy business. A cradle of plaster of paris seems so simple and smart.