Author Topic: burnishing  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Sweeney

burnishing
« on: February 03, 2016, 01:13:44 AM »
To prep for the finishing of a rifle build, I have made an axe handle with wood from the same tree as my rifle stock. Following Kibler's instructions on finishing his burl stocked fowler, I am burnishing with an antler. There are a few small spots that 'drag' the antler as though they are not capable of smoothing out. I tried hitting them with the sandpaper (220) but that does not help. Any advice would be helpful.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: burnishing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 01:28:14 AM »
Your not burnishing before you apply finish are you?  Can't tell from your post.
David

kaintuck

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:50:23 AM »
maybe use a scraper on them spots 1st???

marc n tomtom

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:52:18 AM »
Hi Sweeney,
I assume you are burnishing after applying stain.  First, make sure your burnisher is highly polished.  Second, wipe it occasionally while burnishing to remove residue that will build up on it and cause it to drag.  Finally, I have encountered the same thing you describe.  For those spots, I clean the burnisher, lighten up the pressure and rub a little more quickly until they smooth out.  The purpose of burnishing is to compress the wood fibers making a smooth surface and it also speeds up the process of building up the finish afterward.  It is also important that the stain is completely dry.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 03:10:15 AM »

just learning/fumbling with photobucket. Will try again if failed. this handle has been stained but no finish applied. Could be some stain was not dried. But tried going lighter and faster and that may have helped. Thanks.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s665.photobucket.com/user/troysweeney/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 03:28:33 AM »
The photo does not do the color justice - there is more fire-orange in the handle than appears.Not quite as much as I want yet but maybe that will happen when I use a finish with some amber aniline dye mixed in.  I am bound and determined to duplicate that deep glowing 'chatoyance' displayed in Kibler's blog - be it PC, HC or NO - C, that is the look I want in my rifle stock.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 03:31:29 AM »
The wood should be smooth before burnishing.   A burnisher should not ever drag the grain up.

What kind of wood is it?  If it is something like silver maple (which is unsuitable for anything but kindling) you may never smooth it out.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 03:59:27 PM »
It is some of the hardest hard maple that many have worked. It has been a great learning experience using this wood and I hope to have a solid strategy when I start finishing the stock - which, as mentioned comes from the same tree. Those rough-feeling spots on the handle don't appear to look much different but I wonder if that will change when the finish is applied.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 08:16:01 PM »
Like someone else said,  you have to have a smooth surface, scraped or sanded, before burnishing.    On some highly figured wood,  there are spots that just resist scraping.   If you want them smooth, you may have to take some sandpaper or a Scotchbrite pad to them.   I like to rub my stocks back after staining with a light gray Scotchbrite pad instead of burnishing as my attempts at burnishing were always a little uneven.  I rub the oil finish back with a white Scotchbrite pad.   Just another suggestion of something to try.