Author Topic: Under rib install questions  (Read 2632 times)

Offline WKevinD

Under rib install questions
« on: February 03, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »
I am just finishing up an under rib on a half stock and ran into some difficulties along the way. I followed Taylor's excellent tutorial but had one issue  (there is always one in every task).
I made my rivets, drilled the under rib (rivet size), glued the piece to the barrel to drill thru and mark locations, removed the rib and drilled the barrel with rivet sized holes .125" deep and staked the rivets with a modified punch.
I then cleaned up the tops of the rivets, re drilled the rib a few thousands over rivet size and lightly countersunk the underside and top of the rib. Then I tried to install the rib over the sized rivets.
The problem>
I found that staking the rivets had slightly misaligned some of them. Since they were well staked there was no moving them. I dressed the rivets that were misaligned diameter with fine file and was able to tap the under rib over the rivets. I hope there is an cleaner way to do this, any thoughts?
Kevin 
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

Re: Under rib install questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »
Sounds like you did what was necessary- cannot see any other way without removing the rivets and re-doing, however, you would lose the 'staked' metal, likey. Sounds as if you did the correct method of repair.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:43:29 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:59:32 PM »
It is easy to tip a rivet a bit when you stake it.  When I was staking, I would check after each strike to ensure that the rivet was still perfectly vertical, and if not I tapped it straight again before striking the next punch.

Even after the staking is done, you can use a drift and straighten up the rivet if it's out just a tad.  Re-stake any that you adjust this way.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »
Thanks, I was wondering if there was something too obvious that I just wasn't getting. I worry about tunnel vision when trying a new (to me) technique.
Now on to the thimbles!
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:52:02 AM »
I hope there is an cleaner way to do this, any thoughts?
1.  Glue rib to barrel with JB Weld.
2.  Make pins from common nails and thread them.
3.  Measure depth of rib and 1/3rd of barrel thickness.
4.  Drill holes to this depth and countersink holes.
5.  Tap holes and screw pins into holes until they bottom.
6.  Cut pins off and peen into countersink.  File smooth
7.  Already have thimbles fitted and tinned before starting.
8.  Solder thimbles to rib.  JB weld can withstand up to 600 degrees, but it only takes a bit of heat to join the items because they have already been tinned.

This is a permanent operation and no one will ever know that the JB Weld is there because you will scrape the seam and only a thin line will be evident.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson