Author Topic: smoothbore  (Read 5287 times)

Offline 56 kodiak shooter

• Starting Member
smoothbore
« on: February 04, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
who makes a descent smoothbore that don,t cost an arm & leg, im looking for a 16 or 20

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »
Might depend on what you consider an 'arm and leg.'     I'd keep my eye open for a Jackie Brown gun , or  look from time to time at Clay Smith's website or Track's for a good used gun, and maybe check on Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders for either a completed gun or a suitable kit.  I'd expect something in the $750 to $1250 bracket to show up within a month or two.  Good luck with your search.  SCL

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
who makes a descent smoothbore that don,t cost an arm & leg, im looking for a 16 or 20
Always expect to get what you pay for.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:42:02 AM »
Any style in mind ?     Or just as long as it shoots ?   [ Or, rather..fires ! ]     Honestly, there is always a reason for a firearm having a lower price. Sometimes you can get a real deal on a quality piece, but not often. Usually stock architecture , wood choice, quality of lock, and style of barrel will dictate the price. A straight oct to round as an ex is less expensive than a swamped oct to round.  I've handled some smoothbores that felt more like 2x4's than guns

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 05:55:17 AM »
I think probably Track is a good place to look.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

ddoyle

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 06:16:37 AM »
Always expect to get what you pay for.

or be realistic and expect to get less then what you pay for, less disappointment that way. :D

Seriously though a smooth bore flintlock is made of lock-stock-barrel- and an artist's/technician's time. None of them should be or can be 'decent' and cheap.  They can be great and fair but not decent and cheap.

the most economical way to get great and fair is by applying patience to the search.

Real savings can be achieved by only buying ONE fowler and not making the mistake of cheaping out and then upgrading.

thimble rig

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 04:48:18 PM »
Yeah its better if you take youre time look around.If you know someone that's has one see if they would let you look at it and try it out before you buy.Or make one yourself.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 06:07:05 PM »
Check Estate sales. More times than not the guns an fishing (collectible) are sold for 1/3 of there value. It happens all the time. They inherited the stuff, have no clue what it's worth an don't care . They just want to get rid of it.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 06:29:02 PM »
Jacky Brown has one for sale on this site right now. It would pay you to take a look, nice looking piece for a reasonable price.
Mark
Mark

Ray-Vigo

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 01:36:51 AM »
I've actually had luck getting second hand guns from places like Dixon's Muzzleloading Fair, through my local muzzle loading club, and in online classifieds. I've paid anywhere from about $600-1100 for a nice gun that fits me and shoots well... and I'm a lefty.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 11:52:09 PM »
Here's a good 12 bore. Cheap too.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=38902.msg318372#new
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 08:35:23 PM »
 Personally I would avoid a tradegun in 12 Ga. like the plague. Their straight stock, and square comb, are the perfect formula for a face smacker. A chiefs grade trade gun, or a fowler, with a little more drop will be more comfortable.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 08:57:46 PM »
That one is a lot longer than mine was - think it had a 26" bl. and kicked like a mule. That one looks much more substantial.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 12:33:22 AM »
Personally I would avoid a tradegun in 12 Ga. like the plague. Their straight stock, and square comb, are the perfect formula for a face smacker. A chiefs grade trade gun, or a fowler, with a little more drop will be more comfortable.

Hungry Horse
Hey, he said cheap...... ;) I wouldn't want to shoot that gun either. ;D