Author Topic: Lehigh study  (Read 4009 times)

Offline FALout

Lehigh study
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:12:48 PM »
I've been doing searches in the library and on the web since I don't have access to originals, even bought KRA disk with pics.  As I'm studying and planning, one question comes to mind.  Are the triggers usually pinned to the stock even though I'm seeing a trigger plate?  I ask because it seems as slimmed down as Lehighs are in height at the lock region, that a trigger pinned to the plate would require wood removed that would weaken the stock.  I'm considering using Chambers golden age lock even though I have a large siler on hand.  Already have Trigger guard and buttplate.  Any other insight to building a Lehigh would be greatfully appreciated.
Bob
Bob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Lehigh study
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:05:59 PM »
Single triggers were almost always pinned to the stock in all schools of longrifles, fowling pieces, and trade guns.  I can't recall seeing an original longrifles that had tabs on the trigger plate for pinning the trigger.  That is the product of modern suppliers, not based on originals, in my view.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 05:15:07 PM »
Triggers are pinned to the stock and the trigger plate is just a thin "wear plate" as such. Some are made with steel as thin as 1/16" and then folded back on itself at the front in order to thread for the tang bolt.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:31:08 PM »
Definitely pinned to the stock.  While that is a thinned area, the trigger is pinned through at least half the thickness off the stock.  Plenty of wood there.  The tang bolt through the trigger plate kind of reinforces the wrist area.
Is it the weakest area of a slim rifle? For sure.  Just don't use it for a club.
In His grip,

Dane

Barngunguy

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 02:48:54 AM »

Pinned thru the stock. Trigger plate is for the tang bolt.
I know agatha isn't pretty. But she is mine. I built her.
Darn a curate though.

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 05:01:46 AM »
I don't know, that don't look too bad. 
Bob

pushboater

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:58 AM »
Not the prettiest lock mortise in the world but you can see how I pinned the trigger on my "Little Lehigh".

The pin hole exits under the side plate on the opposite side.

Capt. David

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 03:16:06 PM »
Oh, I don't know, It looks better than mine and most others I have seen.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 03:26:26 PM »
Not the prettiest lock mortise in the world but you can see how I pinned the trigger on my "Little Lehigh".

The pin hole exits under the side plate on the opposite side.

Capt. David

That is a beautiful trigger, complimenting a very nice rifle!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline FALout

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 04:38:21 PM »
I've pinned triggers thru the stock before, just didn't know that pinning them to the trigger plate was a modern design.
Bob

pushboater

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
Mike, I'm sure you've built more rifles than I've ever dreamed of building, but thanks for the compliment. A small pin hole to hold the trigger removes very little wood compared to the wood you'd have to remove to inlet the huge lugs that are cast on most of those commercial trigger/trigger plate combos. Also, the trigger plates themselves do not have the proper shape, although they could be modified to look more correct. Fred, I formed that trigger from a piece of steel strap used to hold a fire extinguisher in a wall bracket. That piece of steel was so easy to work that I kept the rest of it for future projects! My main point being if you want the strongest wrist possible, pin your trigger!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 08:36:35 PM »
I've pinned triggers thru the stock before, just didn't know that pinning them to the trigger plate was a modern design.
You see triggers pinned to the trigger plate on english fowling guns. I think all of the original English fowling guns I have owned were done this way. Except for the very low end guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?