Author Topic: A Blunderbuss Commission - Finished.....Finished !!!  (Read 40284 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: A Blunderbuss Commission - Finished.....Finished !!!
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2018, 04:04:32 AM »
   In my book Dave ,Jerry an James your all Master's. Yep I said it. Beautiful gun an strap or sling. Very very nice work...!

JVavrek

« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2018, 04:11:42 AM »
Stunning!!!! Dave You have a gift that most of us only dream of. Thank you for posting such a beautiful piece. I just can't believe all the talent that is on this site and how helpful you all are. Again thank you for letting us see you build the Blunderbuss.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2018, 08:17:56 AM »
Well Dave, after seeing your work I think I should go and feed the pigs. I can do that!  First have to go and buy some though.

Beautiful work, clean, neat engraving.  altogether Lovely!   
Thanks for all the pictures,

Best regards,
Richard.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2018, 08:22:47 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words.  I have a commission to do another blunderbuss and a brace of pistols.  So wish me luck in getting these next pieces done in a timely manner.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2018, 08:27:46 AM »
Dave, I apologize for again busting in and taking up space but your work is truly fantastic. I too would consider it an honer to hunt with such a wonderful piece of craftsmanship. I would probably never see any game looking at the gun the whole time afield. Thanks for letting us ride along on this build.   :)

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2018, 08:31:00 AM »
Repel boarders!   ;D  Regardless of modern practical uses or "need", I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't covet that short beauty!  Thanks for reviving this.  The sling by James is the perfect finishing touch.
Jerry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2018, 12:23:45 AM »
Delightful architecture, eye-catching detailing, and crisp execution.  I love it.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2018, 06:55:22 PM »
Going back over the pictures for the hundredth time is just as delightful as the first time.  Absolutely awesome work, Dave!

Have to agree on the craftsmanship of James as well.  James makes some of the finest bags I’ve seen.  Great work on the buckle and sling!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Hemo

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »
I'm extremely awed and generally green with envy. From your personal stories, it sounds like you came by your engraving (and carving?) skills at a very tender age, so I may excuse myself for not having had a similar advantaged upbringing.

Looking at your pictures, it appears that you regularly use an engraving ball. I just ordered one today--have wanted one for a long time--as well as the Jewelry Engravers's Handbook, to learn more about doing engraved script

It appears also that you are using Dykem or some similar blue machinist's dye to lay out your engraving. Do you just scribe your designs directly through the blue dye? I have tried using Chinese white and similar products, drawing on these with pencil, or directly on the metal surface, but without very good results. Is there anything else you do to lay out your designs prior to engraving?

Thanks for sharing these stories and pictures!

Gregg

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2018, 12:37:46 AM »
Again....thank you all for the very kind comments.  I'm still learning, but I enjoy the work, so it's fun to keep going.

Greg,

Yes, I do use blue layout dye and then sketch the design very lightly with a scribe.  I also use Chinese white and / or just a soft wax and then layout with a pencil.  As you know, the wax / pencil layout is easy to wipe out or off, so when I do that I usually do the design in small sections. 

I didn't actually start engraving (really) until I took lessons from Jerry Huddleston a few years ago.  He taught me a transfer technique that I use a lot especially for replicating a design or making a left and right hand version of a given design.  I lay a piece of mylar film on top of a design and scribe the design into the mylar surface.  Then I rub printers ink into the scribe marks, wipe the surface clean, flip the ink filled scribed lines down on the surface where I want it to go and use a burnisher to transfer the ink to the surface.  Works great, but, like the pencil marks on the wax, it will smudge.

Hope this helps,

dave C
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:02:30 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Hemo

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2018, 02:06:12 AM »
Very helpful, thank you Dave!

Gregg

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
James, I have gone back many times to study this excellent piece of work. I'm sure I will go back many more times over the years. I have always enjoyed your work very much. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.      P.S.  I typed this awhile back and didn't hit post.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2018, 03:46:55 PM »
Fabulous work
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline louieparker

« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2018, 06:12:57 PM »
Davec2 I agree with Jim. Your work is at a level VERY few are capable of.   Louie