Author Topic: A Blunderbuss Commission - Finished.....Finished !!!  (Read 40266 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: A Blunderbuss Commission - Long break but back at it !
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
What a fun build!  Looking great, Dave! 

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 08:02:23 AM »
Curtis,

Yes....it is a fun build.  Even more fun to shoot.  I just wish I had the time to work right through to the end.  This working for a living is sure getting in the way !
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 11:42:26 PM »
Thanks for the updates, Dave.

Beautiful work. Your fitting is beyond great.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 03:38:44 AM »
Lock internals inletted.......

Lock in place.......

Trigger pivot support silver soldered to the trigger plate.  The trigger is the next part to go in.....

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:43:11 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »
Trigger and trigger guard going into place.  This will be the last thing that I need to keep the stock square for.  As soon as the trigger guard is inletted and pinned, I will start knocking off any wood that doesn't look like a blunderbuss.  This is the part in a build that I really enjoy.....a little time with a spoke shave, plane, rasps, etc., and the gun goes from looking like a plank to looking and feeling like.....well.....a gun.

The side plate details have all been finalized.....only final polishing remaining.  Here the lock bolts have been installed and the side plate is located and ready for inletting......

Over all, I'm not fast....but I'm not slow either.......I'm just sort of "half fast"......

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:43:29 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2016, 08:47:23 PM »
You're doing nice work.  Looks like you're using candle soot for inletting.  Do you find it shows up well against the walnut stock?
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2016, 01:25:01 AM »
Single Malt,

I use an alcohol lamp with kerosene in it to smoke parts.....much quicker than a candle.  And for a barrel, I use an oxy - acetylene torch without the oxygen.  I could smoke the whole side of a car with that in a very short time.  And yes, the black soot shows very distinctly on walnut.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »
Dave is so good  it's disgusting.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: A Blunderbuss Commission -Starting final shaping !
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 05:18:24 AM »
Finished all the inletting (except for the side plate) and pinning, so it was time to take the plank with all the parts it is and start knocking off anything that didn't look like a blunderbuss.  Here it is still in the "plank phase".......(the tang screw is just a temporary while I adjusted the trigger).

A couple of hours later, with a spoke shave and a couple of gouges, it looked a little better.  By the way, all the stuff on the deck is what didn't look like a blunderbuss to me........

Still a lot of fine shaping to do but 95% of the stock removal is now complete.....then the carving and the engraving and the finishing.  Like I said.....half fast.....

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:44:22 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline SingleMalt

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 05:28:21 AM »
There's nothing wrong with being "half-fast."  Good, careful work, I'd say.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline SR James

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2016, 10:16:27 PM »
You're right...that stuff on the floor looks NOTHING like a blunderbuss.
Beautiful work as always.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 01:02:19 AM »
Well, after many months of time off from gun making to make a living, I am in the final stages of finishing two of three commissions.  This one was fairly far along when I had to ring up all stop for a bit.  All the inletting was done except for the side plate which, as you can see, is not one of the simpler shapes to deal with.

I do the outline mostly with a very pointy carving knife (but for this kind of complex shape I really should try the "stab in" method).

Final inlet is very shallow.....about 1/2 the thickness of the side plate which is only about 0.100" at the thickest part.......

Wood carving and engraving are next......

PS.....this is what I was doing when I can't work on guns.....40,000 pounds of thrust.......sequestered for months at a time in the Mojave Desert......

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:45:55 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: A Blunderbuss Commission -Re-start after long delay....
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 01:57:34 AM »
Great pictures, Dave,
Is that your protype finish drying machine for long rifles?  Looks like it would really speed up the process of curing polymerized tung oil.  Gosh I really love your work.  I know you worked with your Dad on jewelry, but how did you learn the skill set you have with respect to engraving as well as metal work and wood work?  I assume you did not learn those particular skills commanding naval ships, another very admirable and respectful occupation.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2016, 03:27:37 AM »
David,

The flame temperature on that engine is about 5,600 degrees F, so it would make short work of drying any finish I am aware of. :)

Thanks for the compliments.....I sat down at a bench as a dental technician for my Dad when I was 6.  I did articulations, denture set up, gold castings for crown and bridge work, etc., etc.  I loved to work with him and did so almost every weekend and week nights after I did my homework.  He had worked as a jeweler in New York when he was a boy during the depression and before he joined the Navy in World War 2 and we did a lot of jewelry work in the lab as well.   I worked like that with him until I left for the Naval Academy when I was 19.  He is 90 now and still does some incredible jewelry work....and he still makes his own teeth when he needs to...:)  He has also always been a great wood worker.  So the metal and wood work, as well all of the manual dexterity skills, comes from him.  The engraving I can attribute completely to Jerry Huddleston.

And, as you correctly point out, driving destroyers around the ocean, shooting missiles, guns, and torpedoes did not do much for sharpening ones fabrication skills, but it did defend the nation.  And now, building and testing rocket engines does add some very sophisticated manufacturing techniques to my repertoire , but I don't use chemical vapor deposition (etc.) too often building 18th century weapons.

Working quietly in my tiny shop is, however, much quieter and less nerve racking than testing spacecraft engines.

Thanks again.

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 03:46:11 AM »
To break up the task of carving on the little rifle, I started on the breech carving on the 'buss.  The will be some molding work but not a lot of elaborate carving on this one.  The breech carving is the most elaborate.  Started with a free hand version of the design....

Then.....duplicate it on the opposite side......

Start of the carving and a little scraping / smoothing around the breech plug tang......

More to follow......
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:46:18 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

JB

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 06:25:01 AM »
looks great.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »
Man,going to be one heck of a blunderbuss, always liked them.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »
Man,going to be one heck of a blunderbuss, always liked them.

I had some long range sights that would be perfect for this gun ;D ;D

Bob Roller

n stephenson

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2016, 03:59:49 PM »
SUPER NICE WORK!!! It`s nice to see . THANKS

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 07:14:25 PM »
The flame temperature on that engine is about 5,600 degrees F, so it would make short work of drying any finish I am aware of. Smiley
Bet you could blush AF in a hurry with that torch ;D
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2016, 07:45:04 PM »
Not finished yet with sculpting and background smoothing but getting close:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:46:36 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline SingleMalt

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
That's excellent work, Dave.  Is that small scraper one of your creations or is it commercially available?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 09:09:18 PM »
Beautiful work, Dave!!  You may have done this already but I take a small almost flat gouge, turn it upside down, and make a little stab into the edge of the shell where it is domed up. I angle it very slightly to undercut the shell a tiny bit.  When finish is applied, the undercut magnifies the relief and really makes the shell pop.  It is going to be a great gun!

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline PPatch

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2016, 09:12:04 PM »
The flame temperature on that engine is about 5,600 degrees F, so it would make short work of drying any finish I am aware of. Smiley
Bet you could blush AF in a hurry with that torch ;D

I'm not sure "blush" quite covers it Dennis.

Looking good Dave - excellent work all around.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 12:15:03 AM »
David,

I shamelessly attempted a copy of your shell on your English rifle......with not much success, I might add.  I need to re-work it, in so far as it is possible, and I appreciate the tip.  I would like to watch you carve one from start to finish.

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780