Author Topic: Starting mid-18th century English rifle (Updated photos)  (Read 21357 times)

thimble rig

Re: Starting mid-18th century English rifle (Updated photos)
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2016, 02:34:59 AM »
That's beautiful work.Ive been following youre builds for a awhile.Being a new comer to rifle building and trying to learn I have a question to ask.Are you going to carve a front moulding on youre lock plate and side plate? If not how to you terminate the carving under the side and lock plate panels to make them look right?

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2016, 03:58:32 AM »
Nicely done, Dave.  I like that side plate more and more each time I see it.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2016, 06:13:44 AM »
Dave, 

Your “foster child” is very lucky. She will obviously end up at the upper end of the bell curve of existence, thanks to the exceptional (albeit leisurely) parenting she is receiving. She wears her silver broach stunningly. Didn’t you show us that jewelry in-the-making some time ago?

Admiringly, Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2016, 02:04:51 PM »
Thanks for commenting everyone,

Thimble Rig, the molding simply fades out as it approaches the front of the lock and sideplate panels. I am modeling that feature on an original English fowler that I own.  It actually looks good.  English makers often did not carve aprons completely around the lock panels. In addition the lock panels are not exactly the same on each side. One side is tailored to fit the lock shape and the other to fit the sideplate.  Again, that is how the originals often were.

Bill, for various reasons I've posted pictures of the sideplate multiple times, ad nauseum perhaps.  I made it several years ago and finally put it on a gun. I have to make a full sized and smaller scale copy of it for a fowler and horse pistol.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

thimble rig

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »
Thanks for info.I appericate it.I do love that side plate,But I sure wouldn't to try to inlet that.I would be a nervous wreck before it was done.

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2016, 03:57:57 PM »
Thanks for info.I appericate it.I do love that side plate,But I sure wouldn't to try to inlet that.I would be a nervous wreck before it was done.

Magic helps.

dave

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2016, 07:39:33 PM »
Can I have that gun when you're done? :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2016, 12:22:31 AM »
Mike, I am sensing a pattern here.  If I give it to you, then I won't have one.

dave

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2016, 02:14:29 AM »
Great looking work, I love the tang carving.  ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »
Mike, I am sensing a pattern here.  If I give it to you, then I won't have one.

dave
Well, if you don't give it to me then I won't have one....Catch 22. Maybe you better build two...... ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 01:27:17 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Boatman53

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2016, 12:27:21 AM »
Dave, that gun may be taking second place in the work schedule but there s nothing second rate about it. That carving looks wonderful. I know for me that often the the best work is done on the lower priority jobs because I don't have the deadline constraint, and I can really think about the details of how something is coming together. Well done.
Jim

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2016, 03:30:37 PM »
Thanks Jim,
That means a lot coming from you.  By the way, Jim, the chain vises are working great.  I find I use the leg vises twice as much as I did before and that is really good because for many tasks, they are the best vises on my bench.  Previously, after a stock was rounded and no longer squared up. the leg vises were not convenient because shaped stocks vary so much in thickness.  Now, that is not the case since the vises automatically adjust the parallel guides to the wood thickness. It is now very efficient to move my stocks to whatever vise is the best suited for the task. If someone did a time-lapse video of me, they would think I was doing laps around my bench as I move from vise to vise. As they say, "a man can't have too many vises".  I have 4 on my bench, add a shot of scotch, and I have 5.

dave  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:34:38 PM by smart dog »