Author Topic: First Build - Chambers Early Lancaster Pennsylvania Rifle  (Read 45175 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Re: First Build - Chambers Early Lancaster Pennsylvania Rifle
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2016, 02:47:13 PM »
Nice looking work space. A man can never have too many sharp pencils. I see you use the Fred Sanford glasses system.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2016, 03:44:30 PM »
I have about 20 pairs of the "bulk" buying cheap reading glasses - I leave them everywhere -  8)

Offline PPatch

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »
For a first rifle you are going gang busters! Looks to me like it will be a keeper. Good work.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »
So....

I started the low relief carving - changed up the nose a little from Jim's version, I just wanted some slight changes to make it my own - next thing you know it's midnight and I have a full brass inlet of the letter "K" for Kingsbury..... The entire height of the letter is .4 inches. The cap for the ramrod started it's life as a .38 Special long centerfire piece of brass (with Nickle coating) I picked up off the ground at the club. Added a silver solder tip - and I think it adds a little to the ramrod tip without making it look too overboard.

The marking tool I assembled to do the lower front stock carving worked great - nice and straight. I still have to sand it round, but the cuts are there, and that is a start.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:49:00 PM by Kingsburyarms »

thimble rig

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2016, 12:06:47 AM »
Hey youre moulding tool that you made seems to work pretty good.I gotta try make me one.That rifle is going to be sweet when youre done.Thanks for posting pictures.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2016, 05:13:46 PM »
I finished the front sight - and I am now just going to carve the stock - I will not post every cut, but wait until I have the larger sections finished until I post - all of you have been here before, and it takes a while to do - I don't want to bore you, but if I run into a jam, I will ask questions ...

thimble rig

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »
Like the front sight now that's different.No doubt you will do just fine carving.And wont have any problems.

sleddman

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2016, 04:38:30 AM »
Getting ready to roll on my 5th build myself.  I have enjoyed your progress diary of your build.  Thanks for the inspiration in your work.  I like the last photo of your front sight, real nice artistic work.  I just warn you that when sighting your rifle in , you may need to trim it down to get to the bulls eye.   All of my rifles started with a tall sight and they ended up being about 1/8 inch high sighting in at 50 yards.   Just a thought.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »
I will probably start with a taller rear sight and see how that goes (I'm 6'4") but I can always make a shorter one :) - A couple more pictures to prove I'm not completely slacking off. I am slightly moving away from Jim's original design for a few reasons - Dark areas show how much I drew with a pencil, erased, drew, erased..... You get it..

This is all still rough cut - still need to add depth and texture to the carvings and sand (Scrape) the stock - Phase 1....

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:53:08 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2016, 07:09:10 PM »
Thank you - Better cleaned up plate, This was my first attempt at engraving any metals other than burnishing aluminum, some practice on blank Brass first.... I am not the best photographer - Sorry for the "class "B" images...

This is your fist gun? Do you engrave for a living?
YEA -- that's what my thoughts were also --- I think we have a "sandbagger" here ;D. I am impressed non the less ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2016, 07:53:52 PM »
 :o

No Sandbagging here - Just a first Gun -  :)  This is what I did before trying Flintlocks... one of many - A 1/9 Scale Sopwith Camel

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2016, 06:10:51 PM »
:o

No Sandbagging here - Just a first Gun -  :)  This is what I did before trying Flintlocks... one of many - A 1/9 Scale Sopwith Camel

Have you ever made a Pol TriPlane or Dornier DoX? The Dornier was a sea plane with 12 engines.
One of my big interests are the aircraft between the two World Wars from all countries.

Bob Roller

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2016, 07:59:33 PM »
Nothing that big - but I have designs and plans for 100's of "between wars" planes - happy to chat offline :) -

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »
Gettin' There.....

thimble rig

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
Outstanding work.You should very proud of that rifle.What are you going to use for a stain and finish?Since you seem to have the hang of this whats youre next rifle going to be?

Offline KC

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »
Dang....  First rifle?  I guess some of us just start from a different point. That will be one awesome rifle when it's done. Love the Sopwith too.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2016, 04:24:20 PM »
Looking good. You have incredible talent. Doing all the intricate work on your aircraft shows on your rifle. It amazes me. How easy (?) someone can do something the first time. When other's (myself) struggle to do. Thank you for posting.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2016, 04:28:57 PM »
Wow!   :o :o ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2016, 05:17:22 PM »
Thank you all - I had a lot of encouragement from David Price, and of course, all the pictures from Jim Chambers rifle to guide me along. Still dragging my feet just a little for the last bit of carving, but should be done soon, then some engraving.

As for the finishing, David Price wrote a great paper on how to stain curly Maple wood, and I'm going with his style for this first run. Aqua Fortis and other techniques are intricate and fascinating to me, but I will keep this one simple, and I would like to keep the colors Jim had, so stain will allow me "better control" as I mix colors as needed.

Next in line?  - I have a Kibler kit on the way, .40 cal with a curly maple stock - with the exceptional design and work that Jim has put in on that, I was thinking a nice compass Rose cheek piece inlay and no carving. Simple southern mountain rifle. and of course, I'm slowly hounding Mr. Price to do a swivel-barrel rifle with him. 50 cal...

So many choices, so little hiding the $$$ from the wife...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2016, 09:44:38 PM »
WOW- I am overwhelmed. My first and only ML rifle build used a TC Hawkins for a 'loose' pattern - LOL ::)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:45:12 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »
Carving COMPLETE!!!!!!!

Well I need to scrape, shape and sand - but the chisel and knife work is done!!!! - A little metal engraving, some finish, and I think we are close!!! - and no - the Altoids container is not for my fresh breath - it's were I put my old X-Acto blades when dull and can't be re-sharpened, and when the container is full, I just toss it. Too many shredded trash bags in the past!!! -

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:34:39 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2016, 03:29:12 PM »
Thats a heck of a first build,nicely done

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2016, 02:56:57 AM »
Thank you Joe - All feedback most welcome - Patchbox on the way (German silver just showed up) and then the staining - Jim Chambers was kind enough to send a piece of the stock wood with the kit for me to use testing color combinations - so I will test variations to get the right color and depth, I want the curly Maple to pop, bit not too much to pull from the design - Having a blast!! - (insert Pun here) Jon

thimble rig

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2016, 03:43:36 AM »
Try some tannic acid solution on the stock first let it try they use ferric nitrate then blush with a heat gun.Look at Jim kiblers site that's how he satins his stocks.Looks really good.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2016, 01:18:29 PM »
Question for the forum, after drawing, carving, handling, and shaping the stock, what do you use to do a final "cleaning" of the Maple before staining? I have some clean up to do, is it scraping and sanding? or are there other ways to ensure no dirt, pencil or other marks get into the stain?