Author Topic: First Build - Chambers Early Lancaster Pennsylvania Rifle  (Read 45182 times)

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
Re: First Build - Chambers Early Lancaster Pennsylvania Rifle
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 03:02:24 PM »
Something caught my eye looking at David's rifles the other day - and I had to try it - This is for you David - a little "Price" in my rifle -

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 03:05:05 PM »
Spent some time making a tool to help me make nice straight cuts on the lower forstock (when I get there) that runs through the ramrod channel. The cutting tool is from a lathe and it's fully adjustable. More work getting the thimbles pinned, the ramrod all set up and starting to draw on the stock for the carving - I am still learning to sharpen my chisels so I will spend some time on that before I go in for the details. Metal engraving starts this weekend - Front sight groove cut.

thimble rig

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2016, 04:11:11 PM »
Its looking good.I like it becareful when using youre tool in the ramrod grove since you have youre thimbles inlet.It might dip into  one of the mortises and make youre line crooked.Thats a good idea for the tool you made it should do a good job.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »
It may be the photo angles, but the sketched in carving seems to be too "compressed" along the tang. I'd widen it out  towards the outside edges a tad.  You do very nice work BTW.  That is going to be a very very nice rifle.
[ 10x better than my first  :-[  ]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:44:25 PM by bob in the woods »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 04:49:18 PM »
Its looking good.I like it becareful when using youre tool in the ramrod grove since you have youre thimbles inlet.It might dip into  one of the mortises and make youre line crooked.Thats a good idea for the tool you made it should do a good job.

Funny - while I was testing it - that's exactly what happened!!! - I have a bunch of the aluminum rod - so I may make a 10 inch guide piece for the main "cuts" and then use the 4" piece for any detail cut - The best part of the tool is there are just two 10/32 bolts holding it on, so it's easily changeable - Thanks for the insight -

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »
It may be the photo angles, but the sketched in carving seems to be too "compressed" along the tang. I'd widen it out  towards the outside edges a tad.  You do very nice work BTW.  That is going to be a very very nice rifle.
[ 10x better than my first  :-[  ]

Thank you very much - Having a good time with this project - I will look again at the pencil drawings - I think you are right that they look a little "tight" to the tang. I'm trying to get all the pencil drawings on the stock, then look at it from all angles, and erase and re-do anything that looks awkward. Pencil is easier to fix than carving :) - I am also "stalling" as long as possible on the carving as once you dive into that pond - you have to swim!! - Appreciate the feedback! -
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:54:19 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2016, 08:32:42 PM »
Great first longrifle project. Its light years beyond my first rifle. Having a plan to refer to is critical to your success. Jim Chambers rifle as a model is a lofty goal. I have been told if you attempt to copy the master you will always come away with greater knowledge than doing your own thing.
You should take a pair of calipers and do some comparison between you carving sketch and the master. Layout is every thing and pencils are cheep. some of the reason things look cramped is the elements are not proportional to the master. the element closest to the breach on the master is an egg shape. The elongation of this element sets up the portion that extends to the point of the tang screw on the master. Now the portion that becomes the long volute has only a small portion that is along the tang. I like the drawing you have over all. I would as Bob suggested, is to widen the long volutes away from the tang at its mid section to make it look less cramped. Like this.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:47:50 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 04:23:51 PM »
Great drawing - I widened the carving slightly to better fit in the space (using your suggestions) Pencil is free - and I'm going through a bunch of erasers!!!! -  ::)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:35:13 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 04:30:48 PM »
Side Plate engraved - needs cleaning up and darkening.

Offline FALout

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »
Not bad looking at all, should make a good rifle that you should be proud of.
Bob

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 06:07:55 PM »
Thank you - Better cleaned up plate, This was my first attempt at engraving any metals other than burnishing aluminum, some practice on blank Brass first.... I am not the best photographer - Sorry for the "class "B" images...

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:10:34 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »
Shaping the Cheek piece and stock, it was funny, I would draw all the pencil marks and then figure out that I have to remove the wood that has the marks!! - Rookie "Learning moment" - so I spent the afternoon shaping and engraving the cheek piece (roughly) so I could then draw the rest of the design!! -

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 03:13:09 PM »
Thank you - Better cleaned up plate, This was my first attempt at engraving any metals other than burnishing aluminum, some practice on blank Brass first.... I am not the best photographer - Sorry for the "class "B" images...

This is your fist gun? Do you engrave for a living?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 04:00:43 PM »
Hi Mike - Yes, it's my very first gun (other than rebuilding a couple M1 Garands and an M1 Carbine) Yet I have about 40 years of designing, building and flying model airplanes. (Scale WW1 mostly). No, I am not an engraver, I am a Software company Manager, but I have been cutting, carving and messing around with wood and metal for a long time. (Yes, with a Dremel tool)  :D

I just started an apprentice relationship under the guidance of a Boston Silversmith named Mark Allen. He is an old family friend, and has been engraving fine jewelry, silverware and museum quality items for the last 60 years. He has since retired, and took me under his wing and is showing me how to engrave metal. He is teaching me the use of the Ball vice, hand push engraving, sharpening push engravers and is teaching me how to work with different metals.

I hope my next few rifles even get better - I'll get the hang of it after a few dozen if my wife doesn't kick me out of the house first.

Never too old to learn something!!! -

thimble rig

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 04:28:45 PM »
That looks pretty good to me.Excellent job.

Offline sz

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2016, 05:04:26 PM »
Heck...........I see nothing to criticize.
 Keep going, you are doing great!

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »
More Progress.... (Let me know if I'm posting too much, too little or of the "same thing")  - Want to keep it interesting as well as learn....

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:55:33 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2016, 03:24:24 PM »
You could probably teach me and I've only been doing this 36 years. Quite a first rifle.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2016, 03:39:49 PM »
Jon, PM sent.  Bill

thimble rig

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2016, 04:15:18 PM »
Don't go selling youre self short there Mr brooks.Your pretty @!*% good yourself.Mr Kingsbarrey You are doing a awesome job and keep up the good work.You have a excellent teacher.Ive been practicing engraving for a little while now Its no where good enough to try a rifle yet.Looks like a bunch of drunk chickens got loose and pecked all over the place.One of these days ill get the knack of it.That rifle youre making is going to be a dandy for sure.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 12:48:43 AM »
You could probably teach me and I've only been doing this 36 years. Quite a first rifle.

That sir - I seriously doubt - You are light years ahead of me - I'm just looking at an example and seeing how I can use elements from it to make my own. All of you here have been through a lot more than I - Although thank you for the very kind words - I enjoy this forum and the group of people I have "met" (Virtually and in person) and that is a motivator -

My best to you sir, for you are a true gentleman.

Jon

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 12:56:01 AM »
Don't go selling youre self short there Mr brooks.Your pretty @!*% good yourself.Mr Kingsbarrey You are doing a awesome job and keep up the good work.You have a excellent teacher.Ive been practicing engraving for a little while now Its no where good enough to try a rifle yet.Looks like a bunch of drunk chickens got loose and pecked all over the place.One of these days ill get the knack of it.That rifle youre making is going to be a dandy for sure.

I locked the fridge - my chickens can't get to the beer!!!! - Although Fried Chicken and beer? ... mmmmmm

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2016, 08:37:17 PM »
Side tracked by a few shop projects - the first is a reproduction of David Price's sharpening system. I used Diamond stone, but the steel bars are movable to achieve any angle you need to sharpen any chisel. His book is priceless.

And my Dentist replaced two of his exam lights in his office, and made his old ones available to me. I installed one, think I have all the parts for the other - once I get everything buttoned up (like the cover for the power supply)

Back to carving.....

Jon

thimble rig

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2016, 09:51:32 PM »
Now that is the ticket with those lights.I really like that.Hey whats up with the neat work bench.Youre pencils are even lined up in a row.Just teasing.Very nice work shop I wish I was that organized.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »
Haaa - I have this OCD thing.... Ever since I flew Helicopters in the ARMY - I'm a checklist type personality  ::) - clean surface kind of builder - although I sometimes clean enough I forget where I put anything - My wife hid the label maker on me...  8)