Author Topic: Samuel Lee Haines: Kentucky gunsmith  (Read 4974 times)

Fitzhugh

Samuel Lee Haines: Kentucky gunsmith
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:37 PM »
I have a reference to this man, born Virginia 4/2/1802, died in Allen County, Kentucky 1863, supposedly a gunsmith working in Allen County.  Just passing this data along for the files of the Kentucky rifle maker researchers.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Samuel Lee Haines: Kentucky gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »
If you have a specific reference, can you please post that reference so that it can be vetted? This man is not known to me as a Kentucky gunsmith, despite all the KY records I have gone through...thus my interest. Your post states he was "supposedly a gunsmith" without an explanation of who may have thought he was a gunsmith, or why he might have been considered a gunsmith. .
... and possibly identify a new Kentucky gunmaker with your help. Shelby Gallien  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:55:12 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Fitzhugh

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
...... per this family, quite interestingly, Haines was a blacksmith and gunsmith in Allen County.  I have not yet checked census or estate inventory records, but then again this is not on my research list, thus I was passing along the name to those with the time and interest to ferret out some additional data.  Per family accounts, he was ordered by Col. John Hughes (25th TN CSA) to make guns.  Haines would not cooperate, claiming neutrality, and was beaten to death by the commandeering troops.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:56:32 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline spgordon

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »

Is this family account in print any where or has it been passed down orally?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:56:44 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:02:21 PM »
Samuel Haines born 4-2-1802 in Russell County VA. Died 1863 Allen County KY.  Son of Christopher Haines born Winchester VA, died Scottsville KY 1760-1848.  Christopher received a Rev war Pension  Christopher's father also name Christopher born 1731 in Greenville SC died Phila PA 1763 (not sure of reliability of Christopher Sr info).  1860 Census of Allen County KY lists Samuel Haines Farmer age 57 with $9000 real estate and $3000 personal property with wife and several children.  Sounds like the old boy was doing quite well for himself.  1850 Census of Allen County lists him as Haynes, Blacksmith with 12 kids.  Busy guy.  1840 Census lists him as Haines with wife 11 kids and 1 slave.  He was a resident of Scottsville KY.
    Well the blacksmith listing and the year of death coincide with your story.  Hopefully somebody can flesh this out.  My experience shows alot of men listed as blacksmiths worked on guns also, so this man may have primarily been a blacksmith and did some gun work.  The conscriptors may have wanted him to repair guns since he could work around a forge and tools.
   An address to the people of Kentucky was issued in. the late fall by James B. Clay, asking men to
enlist in Confederate regiments being formed by him in Richmond and at Camp Breckinridge (originally
Camp Dick Robinson). Clay's request was accompanied by the admonishment that the Confederacy
would soon put in force a conscript law to raise troops. From the headquarters of General Bragg at
Nashville an order was issued December 16, 1862, to impress into Confederate Army service all exiled
Kentuckians and Tennesseans. Resentment of the order was provocative of the threats of Generals John C.
Breckinridge, Simon B. Buckner, and Roger W. Hanson, to resign if its enforcement was attempted.

Full text of "History of the Seventy-fifth regiment of Indiana ...
https://archive.org/.../historyofseventy00floy_djvu.txt
Internet Archive
The non-com- missioned officers consisted of Orderly Sergeant, Samuel H. Carr; ...... We marched all day in the rain and mud, and encamped at night at Scottsville, Kentucky. ..... These men had been driven to the hills to escape conscription, and were daily being ...... Haynes, Edward J., Aug, 12, mustered out as Corporal.
    This story seems to pull together well with my limited resources.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:06:09 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 12:34:26 AM »
This thread has information of merit, but certainly also contains  "personal"  comments that are inappropriate  in the context for our general online discussions. I have asked Dennis to address this but sincerely request the author/s to reconsider and delete all but the educational material.
Hurricane
( Moderator)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »
This thread has information of merit, but certainly also contains  "personal"  comments that are inappropriate  in the context for our general online discussions. I have asked Dennis to address this but sincerely request the author/s to reconsider and delete all but the educational material.
Hurricane
( Moderator)

Done.

-Ron
(One of the ALR moderators)
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie