Author Topic: Upper Susquehanna?? ID?  (Read 6698 times)

Offline JCKelly

Upper Susquehanna?? ID?
« on: February 04, 2016, 01:02:48 AM »
This is our family rifle, owned by my Great-great Grandfather William Washington Kelly, born ~1807 probably in Huntington County, owned this rifle while in Half Moon, Centre County Pennsylvania. Family tradition, which tends to be fairly accurate (Grandfather's memory extended back to Creation, I do believe) says it was originally fullstock. No name on barrel.

From about age 8 onward this defined RIFLE for me.

I longed to shoot it. Dad said I had to be a head taller. Which I wasn't. He maybe forgot to tell me that the one time he shot it, he first wrapped solder wire around the threads to seal up gas leakage.

On occasion it was used to encourage peaceful behavior in Pike Twp, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania.

Patchbox and inlays similar to Douglas, architecture entirely different.

I use this on one of my letterheads. Sent for a book from Whisker, who commented briefly on it being U. Susq.
Looked in the library here, lots of fine flintlock rifles.
Some of us folks have a life-long passion for silver inlaid cap & ball rifles. For me, family stories enhance this.

C. Cash

Re: Upper Susquehanna?? ID?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 03:20:26 AM »
A great history and rifle.  I am about 15 minutes from where your Great Grandfather lived....that is some pretty country.  BJ Habermehl is a fan of the upper Susquehanna rifles.  He might be able to help you.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:28:12 AM by C. Cash »

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:27:54 AM »
The patchbox and side plate are almost identical to the two James Stapleton rifles in the library but the stock shape is different. Stapleton worked out of Huntingdon Co. Pa.  Note Huntingdon is spelled with a "d" not a "t".
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12510.0
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34827.0

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 04:09:59 AM »
I would like to see a closeup of the patchbox engraving. I believe it to be a Huntingdon rifle stocked in the Upper Susquehanna (which includes Centre County) style or a period restock from the Centre County. Look at rifles by Joseph Douglass and his brother David Douglass. Thanks for posting. Mark

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 12:27:12 AM »
Mark this is patchbox shot I have this afternoon. Will try again about mid-day tomorrow

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 01:57:02 AM »
Looks like Joseph Douglas(s) engraving to me. Or at least someone closely associated with him. Pull out the Gunsmiths of Bedford, Fulton, Huntingdon & Somerset Counties and compare. Notice the flat engraved patchbox lid hinges. Several Huntingdon gunsmiths did this including Joseph Douglass. I have seen a Gehrett rifle and also a David Douglass stocked with an upper Susquehanna Roman nose. See page 84 for a signed 'Douglas & Loudenslager' rifle with a Roman nose. See October 2013 Julia's auction for the David Douglass rifle. Huntingdon gunsmiths were clearly influenced by gunsmiths in the upper Susquehanna region. And possibly vice versa.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 02:04:25 AM »
The patchbox and side plate are almost identical to the two James Stapleton rifles in the library but the stock shape is different. Stapleton worked out of Huntingdon Co. Pa.  Note Huntingdon is spelled with a "d" not a "t".
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12510.0
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34827.0

One of these rifles in the Library is not a Stapleton.

realtorone

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 03:29:28 AM »
I owned a Gehrett rifle with the same pattern "Bird Head or  Eagle head " inlays ,but that may be common for that region.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 06:35:22 AM »
Great rifle. I like the Huntington upper Susquehanna mix. I'd like to see a picture of the long tang and the toe plate also. A great family treasure. Thanks for sharing it.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:01:05 AM »
Well, at least here might be a better photo of the patchbox. Guess I'll try again for toe plate and ?breech tang?

I was, as usual, remiss in digging through my library. Just could not find my G'smiths Bedford, Fulton, Huntingdon & Somerset. I guess because it had been tucked away at eye level atop my tool chest.

Patchbox on page 74, Joseph Douglas is the nearest I see to mine. Side plate is I guess common for this part of the world, being similar to pp94 (Douglas), 98 & 99 (JS Johnston) and 150 (James Stapleton).

I believe Great-grandfather William lived in Huntingdon County, then moved to Half Moon in Centre County, from which he moved to Clearfield County in 1850 or '51, right after in-laws Addlemans did. Have deed with date but not to hand. Think Grampa said that his grandfather had bought this rifle used.

There is another nice U. Susq. coming up at auction, but I am not at all recovered from the fullstock John Shuler for which I "won" the auction. Sigh.

So thanks all, for your comments.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 01:17:20 AM »
 There was assigned JS Johnson over under at a local gun show here Saturday. The engraving on it was not nearly as elaborate
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 02:11:44 AM »
I have become more familiar with this rifle myself, taking these photos

"the long tang" Gosh, I didn't even remember, it is indeed long. About 5-1/2"

the wood behind the breech shows three generations of active shooters. Well, at least my Grandfather. He had enough of a reputation at local turkey shoots in the '90's that about 1967 an antique dealer, having heard these stories, came looking to buy it (members of my particular tribe have l-o-n-g memories).
I didn't get the toe platge in focus. It is plain, no engraving, just a depressed area one presses on to open the patchbox. It is about 4-1/4" long

I had forgotten the nice barrel engraving around both front and rear sights.

Someone sent me a private message wondering if we were related. I do promise to dig up the history. Memory says WWK's father was James, who died at about age 30 in 1815. WWK had a brother who was a school teacher in Huntingdon County. Of course, my entire Scots-Irish family turned out to support Andrew Jackson's run for the White House. Grandfather's middle name was Jackson. With respect, I can assure you it was not after Stonewall.