Author Topic: Pictures of LLOYD, William—Snyder County, Pa. Long Rifle  (Read 4615 times)

Red250

Pictures of LLOYD, William—Snyder County, Pa. Long Rifle
« on: February 20, 2016, 04:57:29 AM »
Hello,
New member.  Tried to post a month back, could figure out how to get the pictures up.

Have 1850'ish Wm. LLOYD Long Rifle of Snyder Co. PA.  

My grandfather found this under a house in LA around 1960.   Thought it was a water pipe, pulled on it and wow.  Cap&Ball Long Rifle.  Seems to be .45cal   Discover lloyd was from Snyder Co.  PA.  "William Lloyd – ca. 1850 – Middleburg – Ron Gabel and Gluckman identify him as a gunsmith working in Snyder Co. during the percussion period."

Anyone know more?

How do you post pictures?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:58:37 AM by Red250 »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Pictures of LLOYD, William—Snyder County, Pa. Long Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 05:13:05 AM »
Hi Red,

Welcome to ALR.  Here's a link to a tutorial on posting pictures on ALR.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

Looking forward to seeing your rifle.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »
Tutorial just fine but for us Computer Illiterates Photobucket has become quite impossible to use

I have had good luck with www.tinypic.com   Pretty straightforward. If you don't agree, email me off-site & maybe I can help. Better, though, to get a teenager to help you

I look forward to seeing your photos

Offline nord

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »
Red,
See our library. My Wm. Lloyd is on exhibit. I know a bit about the man and have spoken with his family. As far as I'm aware yours is the second Lloyd to turn up. Feel free to contact me through this board or at nordata@earthlink.net.

Gable and Gluckman both know a great deal about PA makers and I give credit where it's due. Unfortunately, unless there were two William Lloyds, I must respectfully be of the opinion that they know Lloyd only from reference material which may be factually incorrect.

My rifle is almost unquestionably a Huntingdon Co. piece. This seems to fit with family history in that William moved into the Warriors Mark area from Williamsport or Lock Haven. Lloyd history claims two brothers with a warehousing business in McConnellstown. William being a gunmaker and farmer in addition to the business. The other brother more into firearms repair and the family business.

As related to me the family believes that the last gun made by William was probably in 1848 (Correct that to 1838). He lost two sons on the same day to typhoid. After their death he removed to Altoona and it appears became a banker among other endeavors. KRA lists Lloyd in Pittsburgh but I tend to believe much later in life if at all.

Lloyd was a very accomplished maker without a doubt. I'd love to compare your rifle with mine and hope it's in reasonable condition.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:14:33 PM by nord »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 10:36:33 PM »
Red,
You can try putting your pictures on Flicker. It uses your Yahoo account if you have one. Easy to sign up if not, and free.

You can edit your pictures after they are uploaded. To post on most websites, you simply bring up the picture on Flickr, then click on the share arrow, lower right. Click on BBC code, and copy ( control/C).
You can then simply paste,(control/v) any place in your post, and the picture will work in the post. Be sure and choose a medium size so the picture is not too large.

As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 01:56:54 AM »
You all might want to check out this Lloyd rifle on Rock Island Auction, October 2013

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-2431-percussion-middleburg-pennsylvania-snyder-county-rifle-by-william-lloyd-49141/