Author Topic: Barrel guides..............  (Read 8242 times)

kaintuck

Barrel guides..............
« on: May 01, 2016, 12:02:47 AM »
use thin strap metal, drill 2 sets of holes, counter sink all of them well...make sure you have them screwed to the waste area of wood. measure and keep your router bit bearing touching the metal...never think the non bearing shank can take that speed with out gauling....keep the distances to where you can sand the rest of the opening...still some hand action will be best snugging the barrel in.....takes any type of barrel, straight barrel are fast to set up and route, swamped take longer, as you will need to put washers UNDER the guides as to make the swamped bottom of the routed channel go up and down....or just route the whole channel the same and hand work it snug............and how....this save my elbows, AND makes asuper smooth channel........... 8)
I use a little 'pony router'

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:33:57 AM by rich pierce »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Barrel guides..............
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 08:42:29 PM »
Looks good --- I sure do hope you don't drop anything important on that floor ;D. Is that straw on the floor? You don't smoke do you :o???
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

brokenflint

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 08:45:45 PM »
Paul

What's the matter with you can't you see it's the cathouse ;)  Tomtom only lets him in there every once in awhile when he needs new litter LOL

BF

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 01:49:56 AM »
OH -- OK -- now I understand ;D ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:23:17 AM »
That may be faster, but I still prefer the quiet of my routing plane, gouges and chisels.  ;D
Psalms 144

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 12:27:38 AM »
Routers scare me. I find myself moving further and further from power tools. I enjoy the quiet of hand tools also, and less dust also. It might be different if I were doing this for a living, but just for my own enjoyment I like the old ways. I do sometimes use a table saw to hog out the depth and then the rest by hand with chisels gouges and router plane.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA