Author Topic: Michael Haas dated 1663 flintlock rifle  (Read 5941 times)

Offline VP

Michael Haas dated 1663 flintlock rifle
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:19:49 AM »
This German made flintlock rifle showed up on AuctionZip today. It is sort of over the top when it comes to carving and engraving. Thought a few people on here would enjoy seeing this work of art.

http://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/lot_3EA4E969D2?utm_source=azemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alerts

VP

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Michael Haas dated 1663 flintlock rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 04:28:47 AM »
Everybody has their taste, I guess.  To me, it's pretty much a mess.  Also, the barrel may be from 1663, but the rest of the gun isn't.  Add a hundred years to their date. 

Jim

Offline VP

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:08:17 AM »
Jim,

I actually typed in that I thought the date was way off but my limited knowledge of such rifles is limited so it was deleted. I am glad you shared your opinion. I thought the rifle was way to mature for that date. I don't like the rifle either but I do appreciate the amount of work that goes into such carving and engraving.

VP

Offline Monty59

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
I saw the set trigger and trigger guard of this gun and that is not from 1663 more  from the late 18th century also the lock. Often the gun makers use old barrels if it is still a good one from wheellock rifles. I have one of this my one is marked 1667 and the rest is maybe around 1770 or later.
Monty

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 07:13:20 PM »
If not 1663, still an early gun and gives a little insight into the style of the time plus a history of warfare in the carving.
Also, interesting patchbox treatment.

John
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:16:48 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 07:26:41 PM »
Very detailed carving - exceedingly difficult in walnut.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 08:14:06 PM »
I'm diggin the funky chicken on the wrist ;D.....or what the description describes as the neck..... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:09:34 PM »
Hi,
I wonder if it is a restock because the artisan who carved the stock was incredible but the engraving on the barrel is very crude.  I wonder if someone took and old barrel from the 1600s and restocked it during the 18th century.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 10:06:55 PM »
I wonder if the date is not a commemorative date instead of a making date.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

The Rambling Historian

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 10:53:48 PM »
I've seen this gun before. There is a "Michel Has" that was active in the mid-16th century in Solothurn in what is now Switzerland and two other "Michael"s active in the Haas family of gunmakers based in Schwäbisch Gmünd in Baden-Württemberg in the mid-17th century to early 18th century.

It is interesting that their description says the painting is under a piece of glass; when I last saw it the painting was protected by a piece of clear plastic that was clearly added in recent times to protect the fragile painting.

The "pecker" on one of the cherubs on the right side of the stock is the lever for releasing the patch box door.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:01:28 PM by The Rambling Historian »

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 04:05:32 PM »
Hi,
I wonder if it is a restock because the artisan who carved the stock was incredible but the engraving on the barrel is very crude.  I wonder if someone took and old barrel from the 1600s and restocked it during the 18th century.

dave
It isn't unusual to see euro guns with older reused barrels.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?