Author Topic: Alexander Walker rifle circa 1780  (Read 5535 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Alexander Walker rifle circa 1780
« on: March 03, 2016, 05:55:09 PM »
I recently bought the book "Rockbridge County Artists & Artisans" by Barbara Crawford and Royster Lyle Jr. (actually bought a second copy, forgot I had one, oh the joys of old age!) The book has a chapter on Rifles and there are photos of a really nice looking rifle by Alexander Walker who was associated with John Davidson. They both were in the Timber Ridge -South River neighborhood of Rockbridge County VA.

I would love to see other rifles by Alexander Walker or possibly by others of the same family. Does anyone know where I might find more photos of this man's work?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MGillman

Re: Alexander Walker rifle circa 1780
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 11:11:09 PM »
Does the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts have any in their artisan files in the research library?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 12:21:24 AM »
Does the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts have any in their artisan files in the research library?
A few years back I was fortunate enough to receive a tour of MESDA's collection (including those not on display) of rifles and I do not remember seeing anything about this maker. I have (somewhere in my files) an inventory of their NC rifles but no Virginia makers were included.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »
Dennis   I think that rifle of A Walkers shows up at the CLA show regulary .Curt

Offline MGillman

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 04:24:12 PM »
A few years back I was fortunate enough to receive a tour of MESDA's collection (including those not on display) of rifles and I do not remember seeing anything about this maker. I have (somewhere in my files) an inventory of their NC rifles but no Virginia makers were included.

Dennis

In the research library, there are a lot of filing cabinets with makers by order. Most of what are in these files the museum has never owned the objects, but were allowed to photograph the items. There are a few Honaker rifles in the files but MESDA doesn't own a Honaker or have one in the storage downstairs either. I was fortunate enough to also view the rifles not on display. I think Kim Mays is over the library, I'll see if I can find her email.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »
Have to check. Thought there is one in volume 2 of RCA.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 11:54:46 PM »
Have to check. Thought there is one in volume 2 of RCA.
yes there is. Early one too.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 02:27:04 AM »
Just looked at it, #130 in RCA II and that is the same rifle that's in my book. Good to see the tang carving, my book does not show the tang. Just noticed that the butt is 2" wide, that's much wider than I expected.

43 1/16" X 47 caliber and has a 1 3/32" breech. Stock is cherry. Looks like an English lock with single trigger.

Good looking rifle.
Dennis

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »
Just looked at it, #130 in RCA II and that is the same rifle that's in my book. Good to see the tang carving, my book does not show the tang. Just noticed that the butt is 2" wide, that's much wider than I expected.

43 1/16" X 47 caliber and has a 1 3/32" breech. Stock is cherry. Looks like an English lock with single trigger.

Good looking rifle.
Dennis
Yep, fairly early. I'd put it in the 1780's. I've never seen it in person, but I'll bet it's a big gun in hand.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 07:11:16 PM »
Thanks Dennis; RCA II, #130 on page # 560 helped me find the information quickly. I like the time period (1760-80,s) and the A. Walker style rifle. Have a great week end. AJ.   
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.