Author Topic: Samuel Nock Gunmaker  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Feltwad

Samuel Nock Gunmaker
« on: March 13, 2016, 12:02:27 AM »
Enclosed are some images of guns  by Samuel Nock  that may be of interest to members which I restored.These guns began has patch locks with a detachable nose and  built around 1820 they were later converted to percussion using a detachable nose  they were also built with a grip safety.
Samual  Nock was the nephew of the famous Henry Nock and was one of his apprentices ,Samuel was first listed has a gunmaker in 1804 at Hawkesbury Place ,Walworth London  he moved to 180 Fleet Street in 1806-1822 then in 1823 -1852 he was in busines at Regents Circus .After he died in 1851 the business was carried on by the executors at 116 Jermyn Street from 1853 to 1858
Feltwad
Workings of the grip safety

Gun Locks With Detachable Nose

Finished guns Cased

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:12:52 AM by Feltwad »

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Samuel Nock Gunmaker
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
Enclosed are some images of guns  by Samuel Nock  that may be of interest to members which I restored.These guns began has patch locks with a detachable nose and  built around 1820 they were later converted to percussion using a detachable nose  they were also built with a grip safety.
Samual  Nock was the nephew of the famous Henry Nock and was one of his apprentices ,Samuel was first listed has a gunmaker in 1804 at Hawkesbury Place ,Walworth London  he moved to 180 Fleet Street in 1806-1822 then in 1823 -1852 he was in busines at Regents Circus .After he died in 1851 the business was carried on by the executors at 116 Jermyn Street from 1853 to 1858
Feltwad
Workings of the grip safety

Gun Locks With Detachable Nose

Finished guns Cased

That "nose" can be installed on almost any caplock hammer.
Those are ugly.
E.M.Farris had a muzzle loading shotgun with the grip
safety but we never took it out to see how it worked.
Bob Roller

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 12:38:29 AM »
Feltwad, do you have any pics of the locks internals?
Bob

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 12:55:12 AM »
Enclosed image of internal parts

Feltwad
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:57:03 AM by Feltwad »

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 03:13:02 AM »
Really interesting pair.  I like the way the case is set up with the barrels in a tray.  Are they both the same bore and configuration? Thanks so much for posting the pictures.  Once again I'm seeing something I've never seen before. Jack

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 04:25:37 PM »
Enclosed image of internal parts

Feltwad

Interesting back action mechanism. I still think the old locks,in spite of the stunning craftsmanship in them were made of iron. The bridle post on the right hand one is missing and replaced with a stop screw.If I were
going to make a back action lock,I'd use these as a pattern only with steel bridles.

Bob Roller

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 07:22:27 PM »
Bob you will find that this type of hammer was common on early percussion guns that were original patch lock .they were used by such names has Manton , Spencer and the builder of the first percussion sxs shotgun  James Rowntree which used the steel top hat caps. Ugly no it was the common style of the period for a patch lock.
Feltwad
James Rowntrees Patchlock Conversion

Working parts of Rowntrees Lock

Spencers Patchlock conversion on a sxs shotgun
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:33:15 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 12:39:56 AM »
These early cappers and patch locks  are very interesting. I had a T. Mortimer that started out life as a patch lock. Had a cased gun  with a grip safety for a short time too, very cool. Can't remember now who built it now....... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 01:38:53 AM »
Hi Feltwad,
I've never seen that grip safety before.  Thank you very much for posting the pictures and information.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."