General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Any Tips for TOW Flintlock Cleaning Tube/Clamp?

(1/2) > >>

C. Cash:
Hello to the forum.

Anyone have any advice to get a good flow going with TOW barrel cleaning tube/clamp?  When I try to clean it reminds me of trying to suck a cold milkshake through a small straw, and I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.  Flow is very slow and I would like to get things wooshing through the flash channel as fast as possible to get the junk out of the breech end.   Thanks for any input.

Daryl:
I found with mine, I had to be very careful to get the hole lined up with the vent hole. Just a bit off and it would 'suck hard'.  If lined up well, it worked very well through my .070" vent.  On pulling the rod up, then pushing the rod down hard a few times, you can get a good 'head' of water above the patch, and this helps draw water right up to the muzzle, then another hard shove and blasts the fouliing off the breech as well as cleaning out the Chamber's vent's 'cavity'.

Daryl

C. Cash:
I think you may have nailed it, as I was having trouble lining up in the beginning(had to clean ballistol/water out the lock mortice with a Q-tip a few times), and just assumed I was on it when I was having trouble getting a good flow.  I will try and line it up more carefully.  Might be as simple as that for sure.....Thanks Daryl.

famouseagle:
Be careful after you remove the clamp.  The next time you push the cleaning rod down the barrel you'll get a shot of fluid that'll go across a room.  It's a great cleaning tool but, as Daryl said, the key is to get the hole lined up.

I drop the tube into a jar of Murphy's/alcohol.  After cleaning, the residue settles to the bottom of the jar.

C. Cash:

--- Quote from: famouseagle on March 23, 2009, 03:22:57 PM ---Be careful after you remove the clamp.  The next time you push the cleaning rod down the barrel you'll get a shot of fluid that'll go across a room.  It's a great cleaning tool but, as Daryl said, the key is to get the hole lined up.

I drop the tube into a jar of Murphy's/alcohol.  After cleaning, the residue settles to the bottom of the jar.

--- End quote ---

Will do!  I am trying water with a good dollop of Ballistol in there, in the hopes that I won't get flash rust with the mixture.  With my Renegade, I would get flash rust even when using cold water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version