Author Topic: Respect for the Old builders  (Read 6209 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Respect for the Old builders
« on: March 23, 2009, 04:45:34 PM »
Sat. I got a chance to work at the forge for a bit.  One of the projects was to draw a straight tang out enough for it to go up and over the comb.  I'm sure it gets easier with practice but I have a new appreciation of the blacksmithing skills these guys had. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:08:53 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline LynnC

Re: Respect for the Old builders
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
I'm sure they could do it in 1/2 the heats or less than it takes me to do it.  They had lots of practice, not just on guns, but most anything they or their neighbors needed.

BTW, Your tang is lookin good..................................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 05:19:40 PM »
Man will that be fun to set in!

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:20:20 PM »
Ken,  I have always admired anyone, historic or modern, who has black smithing skills!! This is especially true in the gunmaking realm. When one puts his hand to adopting the skills of old, instead of  just assembling parts that are already made, you get a new appreciation for the antiques that still remain for us to enjoy.  This also applies to the art of hand cut rifling!! I have rifled a number of hand forged barrels and let me say it is no picnic! in comparison to cutting today's modern free machining steels.  It's the same for Damascus barrels.  Any forged barrel should be cut by hand and very slowly because of the hidden inclusions and the different composits of steel that are produced by hand forging which if not approached with the right speed or "feel" will tear and scuff the groove being cut.  Here I go spouting off again when all I wanted to do is congratulate you  on your courageous attempts at the forge. Your results look encouraging!       Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

angus

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:57:46 AM »
Ken,
Le' Artist Perfecto! Can't wait to see the end result of this beauty. Looks like you are getting practiced and in shape for the upcoming trip. Hope you've been working your way up to an 8 lbs. maul. ;D

northwoodsdave

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:04:51 AM »
Ken

That is some great work!  I'm certainly no expert smith, but each time I manage to produce even a moderately attractive and functional piece, my respect for the men whose work I am fortunate enough to own increases. 

What they achieved, often with tools that nowadays seem darned primitive, is just amazing.

Dave

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:59:08 AM »
I appreciate the words of encouragement.   I still remember Carper emailing me years back and encouraging me to start making my own parts and saying the feeling of accomplishment it would give you.  He surely was right.  It turns something very simple into something special.  As simple as a thimble and includes something not as simple as rifling barrels. 
Angus, yes getting into practice.   ;D  School begins.  At age 21, I was apprenticing in a craft.  At age 48 I find myself still apprenticing. 

David G

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 12:54:52 PM »
Nice work Ken. What's the rest of the specs for the rifle if ya don't mind me asking?

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 02:16:13 AM »
That is very cool Ken.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 04:47:21 AM »
Thanks guys.  David,  Nothing special.  It's not a primary project.  As I'm making parts  for another gun I'm making some extra parts.  This will eventually be a .40 cal.  Short barreled for a TN at 38".  It will make a good young mans or Ladies rifle.  I'm using a Rice barrel I've had for years and figured I should do something with it. 
Hooroo,
Ken

David G

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »
Cool !

voyageur1688

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »
 Smithing is hard work and is not for everyone. Some projects are easy while others seem to be overwhelming. My first smithing project was making 2 knives for use at rendezvous, and the guy teaching me was good but not one of the greats in his field. The knives came out great for a first attempt giving the look I was after and hold an edge like nothing else I have ever owned. I want to congratulate you on this piece as it is looking great, and will give you more satisfaction than just going with a factory finished piece.
  Todd

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 01:35:15 AM »
The tang looks well, little Brother.  Perhaps in a couple of weeks you can give Brother Angus a few pointers.  I'll even provide the long tang!  Has he told you how he's been working me to death and houndiing me to reveal more of the arts and mysteries of the craft on Thursday nights as of late? At present, I am building two .410 caliber American fowlers (scaled down to look proportionate)....and with Old Don's help of course.  One last thought:  Got Moon Pies?  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »
Dang, I was hoping that was for mine.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
I'll be teaming up with brother Angus on his quest.  If'n I bring enough Moon Pies, we might just get you to overdose on the sugar and whilst you are comatose we can get you to spill the beans on the arts and mysteries of the Southern Longrifle. 

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 06:12:33 PM by Ken Guy »