Author Topic: Plug  (Read 2957 times)

Offline JCKelly

Plug
« on: March 16, 2016, 10:20:26 PM »
Just came by a Michigan powder horn. Plain, made with knife or draw knife. Engraved
GEORGE S DAVIS  BRIGHTON MICHIGAN APRIEL 1839

Now, stoppers can get lost but the teeth marks on this one suggest a lot of use -

To me it's a cool horn, being only the second Michigan-marked horn I've seen.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Plug
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 10:40:25 PM »
Great Horn... thanks for sharing it with us
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:04:15 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Big Wolf

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 04:07:17 PM »
I like the teeth marks on the plug, nice horn

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:40:11 PM »
A very cool find J.C.!  Makes me proud of my Michigan root's!  4th generation Traverse City area, but my wife lived in Brighton for several years.
Joel Hall

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »
Good find. The teeth marks give it real character. Would be nice to know alittle about the previous owner. Thanks for sharring

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 11:44:38 PM »
Previous owner was Jack "Dixie" DuPrey, he thinks he got it in a trade with Chambers. It has traveled a bit. George Davis' family has a long thingy on ancestry.com, emailed them to see if anyone was interested - AFTER I am Gonegonegone. Right now I'm having fun with it. If ever I put out a 4th & Last edition of Michigan Gunsmiths it will be included.
Majorjoel - Brighton was just a township in 1839. Prior to about 1833 Wayne was the only county in Michigan. Livingston Co. was formed some time after '33
Wisht I had something from the Toledo War, but that's another matter. You, of course, know that Ohio lost that war, and had to accept Toledo, whilst we got the UP, rich in timber, iron and copper. Toledo is rich in ??