General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

cleaner

(1/4) > >>

Nate McKenzie:
Has anyone tried Simple Green cleaner from the grocery store to clean black powder guns? Seems to work very well for me.

Daryl:
I've heard of mixing it with water and windshield antifreeze - or maybe it's only when cleaning.  I've started putting a very small amount of hand load in the cold water when cleaning my guns. It seems to help as a wetting agent. Abotu eny soap would work - I'd be careful with detergents - some chemicals that are in detergents might not be good for the bore - don't knwo on this - ordinary soap works and so does water with the absence of soap.  35 years of cleaning without soap & no rust shows that works.

t.caster:
I've been using diluted Simple Green for many years. Good stuff! I also keep it in a small antique bottle in my bag, it cleans my rifle and me when I'm done shootin!

hanshi:
I've never found black powder hard to clean up.  Plain water does fine but I'm always on the lookout for something better - different, whatever.  I carefully read the posts on this forum searching for good tips.  Simple Green sounds like something to try.  What is it, exactly; a soap, detergent, etc.?

Roger Fisher:

--- Quote from: Flintr on March 23, 2009, 06:24:37 PM ---I've never found black powder hard to clean up.  Plain water does fine but I'm always on the lookout for something better - different, whatever.  I carefully read the posts on this forum searching for good tips.  Simple Green sounds like something to try.  What is it, exactly; a soap, detergent, etc.?

--- End quote ---
Bout 20 percent in water!  The simple green does not hinder the cold water from it's mission to clean the rifle/gun and it cleans up the shooter's hands after shooting! It also shows you where your small/and large hand cuts are ::)
Works for me and makes it looks as though I know what I'm doing ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version