Author Topic: Likely David Young rifle from Middleburg Snyder cty  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Likely David Young rifle from Middleburg Snyder cty
« on: March 20, 2016, 04:33:09 PM »
I think the rifle is likely from Union County, Mifflinburg or Lewisburg area.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:47:45 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Does anyone recognize this work
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 05:12:57 PM »
Sorry about the upside down.  I can't see to get them to flip over.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:49:28 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 05:42:29 PM »
That reminds me of one I've seen, but unfortunately I'm clueless as to a name.  Very high likelihood I saw it here.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 02:30:05 PM »
I think the rifle has strong union county Pennsylvania ties. The box and architecture remind me of Dreisbach or Schaefer.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:41:01 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 02:19:40 AM »
Rob,
I'm with you on this. It sure looks Union county . Joe Long and Sam Baum country. Those guys had all that space to engrave but left it plain . There are a lot like that. It's a neat gun with some different features . I hope it's yours.
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 04:06:27 AM »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 04:16:44 AM »
Rob, I've got nothing on this one. It looks like so many from that area. It's a nice pleasing rifle  . The kind that looks well hanging up. Maybe the cheek piece or the style of the inlays may help with the identification. Wish I could be of more help.   JIM
JIM

Offline Loudy

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 05:38:49 AM »
Rob,
I'm not going to speculate on a possible maker.  However, I to see a lot of Union/Snyder County in this gun.  Mostly in the overall outline of the buttstock, the general design of the patchbox.  However, there are also things about this gun that are not typically seen on guns from that neck-of-the-woods.  The push-button patchbox lid release is not what you expect to see on a Union County gun.  A release stud that protrudes through the rear-center of the buttplate is much more common.  Your gun looks to have been converted from flint to percussion.  The lock sideplate is not of the type usually seen on earlier Baum or Dreisbach.  The sideplate on early Union County guns often have deep cut horns or lobes on either side of the head of the main lock bolt.  Lastly, the rear entry pipe does not appear to be made from two separate pieces of brass.  Union County guns commonly have a rear pipe made by riveting and soldering a tail piece to the pipe.  The rear pipe of your gun does not appear to have an iron rivet in it.  There were many gunsmiths that apprenticed in the Baum and Dreisbach shops and then moved on to Western counties of PA, and further West into OH, IN, etc.  Maybe your gun was made by of these gunsmiths that learned the trade in or near New Berlin then moved on to a place where there wasn't so much competition? 
Mark Loudenslager

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »
Mark,  The rifle came from a  Harrisburg area estate.  I'll look further west.  If he used that cheekpiece and comb inlay repeatedly it should be
an easy ID.  The swaged nosecap, which I didn't supply a photo of, points to the Reading area.  I had a Somerset rifle with the same sideplate
shape and engraving, but that was a common shape used in many areas.  I'm leaning to 1815-1825 period.  What do you think?