Author Topic: What style patch box is this...  (Read 10594 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: What style patch box is this...
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 07:57:36 PM »

.......... Intend to take it out and proof it.

:( :'(

And if the barrel fails under the proof load, oh well, it was just an old gun anyway.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 02:23:55 AM »
I got lots of guns, I wouldn't need to shoot it if it were mine. But that's just me. I'd leave it alone.....mostly cause I'm lazy.... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

gizamo

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
I got lots of guns, I wouldn't need to shoot it if it were mine. But that's just me. I'd leave it alone.....mostly cause I'm lazy.... :P

Hardly call you lazy.... ;)

Your pal Roy and I are doing the work on this one.  I will prolly use it more for living history demos then anything else.....

Giz

gizamo

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 12:33:28 AM »

The guns are not live fired at my demos. They are for display and a means to discuss/interpret their importance in the historical narrative and time line.....with those interested and attending the event. They are used as a educational tool, only.

Giz

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 03:30:39 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2016, 02:48:38 AM »
Points can be made without getting personal.  Any more remarks that are largely aimed at the person, not the idea, will result in a warning which is step 1 to getting a vacation from ALR.

Regarding shooting original rifles, the thoughts on this have changed since the early years of the NMLRA, when it was common.   Most builders of double flint guns recycle old percussion shotgun barrels.  I've shot my share of original percussion double barreled shotguns and an original rifle or two.  Think about the thickness of an original double percussion shotgun barrel compared to a small bore squirrel rifle.  Hmmmm.  Just food for thought.  Would you ban the building of double barrel flint guns as unsafe?  If not, why are they safer than small bore rifle barrels, given the same level of care and testing?

I can't speak for the OP but if he says that in DEMOS he does not use live ammo loads but he intends to hunt with a gun, I am not confused by that. 
Andover, Vermont