Author Topic: Post your Favorite Lube Here  (Read 29859 times)

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
Post your Favorite Lube Here
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »
Been reading other threads on cleaners and lubes, so I thought I would start a thread so
you could post your favorite lube here. I'll start with mine. I am a only a competition shooter
and not hunting so mine are range lubes . I do think the Teflon could be used for hunting.
In rifle and musket the best I have found is the "Teflon" coated patching. In pistols I have
found water soluble oil to be the best. I use a 5%  oil and water mix. This has worked very
well for me for the past 30 years. I always use a ball a couple thousndants over the bore,
and .010 patching in pistols and .022 in rifles. Now lets hear yours.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline T*O*F

Re: Post your Favorite Lube Here
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:35:30 PM »
How about you just insert "patch lube" into the site search function and hit enter?
This topic has been beat to death so many times, probably half the postings in the shooting forum are about patch lubes.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

roundball

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
Been reading other threads on cleaners and lubes

Natural Lube 1000 patches for all hunting here in North Carolina regardless of what time of year or weather conditions;

Natural Lube 1000 patches during the high humidity months of late spring/summer/early fall lets me shoot range sessions without wiping between shots;

During the dry/low humidity months of late fall & winter I squeeze a couple squirts of Hoppes No9 PLUS BP lube into a bag of NL1000 patches and can continue to shoot without wiping.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »
Crisco, DGW's black Solve, Hoppes #9 bp, spit.  Have used the various grease preparations form TC, Traditions, CVA, etc., etc. but other than the smell can tell no difference from Crisco.  Crisco's cheaper.  Use mostly black solve for general shooting and reloads but never for first loads.  Use a grease or Hoppes for Hunting & BS for reloads.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:39:17 AM »
Sorry TOF, I am new here and have not seen it. Mebby I should delete this post then.
The Pistol Shooter

frontier gander

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 02:03:44 AM »
i have only been using it since november but elk tallow with a small amount of crisco has been doing a great job.

Dave K

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 02:26:44 AM »
I have been using nothing but Birddog6's patch grease for hunting or his patch lube for bench work for a few years now. It is all I use in my rifles.

tg

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 02:37:27 AM »
Hawkpooey

roundball

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 02:55:43 AM »
Sorry TOF, I am new here and have not seen it. Mebby I should delete this post then.

Your post is fine...

Sam Everly

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 03:12:06 AM »
I only hunt in the spring and summer months . My favs are those little fellows the french call Tar Gets. I always use a 50/50 mix of Tef and Lon . 

Leatherbelly

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 03:51:00 AM »
  I've switched to Preparation H to shrink my groups!

roundball

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 03:53:04 AM »
Hawkpooey

Is that the straight strength or a 50/50 mix?

Offline Snakebite

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 03:53:59 AM »
Mink oil, bear grease when I can find it.

famouseagle

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 04:05:11 AM »
Iron City Beer

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 09:10:56 AM »
Iron City Beer ??  Is that the "stale, pale ale with the foam on the bottom???
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

famouseagle

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
It's an apt description but, I believe you are referring to "Olde Frothingslosh".  It was offered only at Christmastime.  Iron City is the best "lube" I have ever tried.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 03:48:51 PM »
Frizzen,

Welcome to ALR.  Yes there is a search function set up on the board that will allow you to research topics if you like.  If you don't like, post you question, as you have done.  If folks don't want to read it or respond, they don't have to.  You deserve a polite reply.

For the past 20 years I have been using a mixture of about 3 parts bear grease and 1 part beeswax.  Most of the time this lube loads without any need for cleaning between shots.  However, if there is a long delay between shooting and loading or if it is really dry then I lay the patch on my tongue before oalding.  the little bit of saliva helps cut any dry fouling.  Everytime I try something else I end up dissapointed and come back to my bear grease and bees wax lube. 

I melt the lube in a small tin cup and dip each patch in with a tweezer and stack them up in a piece of aluminum foil.  So I am shooting pre-lubed patches.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Leatherbelly

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 03:56:01 PM »
   Actually, since running out of Lehigh Valley, I've made my own concoction of winter windshield washer(the blue stuff) and dish soap(Dawn). Seems to work fine for range and trail shooting. Cleans up good.

Mike R

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 04:22:48 PM »
Thanks to mad monk [see post on Shen V lube]--I have wondered why my latest LVL eats away my stock finish!  I now use it mainly as a last cleaning step [after water cleanup] intead of as a lube--a little dab'll do ya.   I need to experiment more with lubes, over the years I have used spit, Crisco, LVL, Wonder lube and mink oil.  May have to try out that hand cleaner....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 04:23:58 PM by Mike R »

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »
LeHigh Valley Lube, Hoppe's #9 Plus, & Spit, but not all at the same time.  I usually use spit in the summer and LHV and Hoppe's in the winter.  Just hate it when the patch freezes to the muzzle(with spit).

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 07:30:06 PM »
Beer as a patch lube?  That constitutes alcohol abuse, almost as bad as letting some spill on the ground! :D
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

david50

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 09:55:40 PM »
Trappers Mink Oil from TOW,good for any weather.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 11:15:18 PM »
 ;D  Been speermintin' wiff de follering.  I combine the oil squeezed from a Madagascan Kwanga toad (female only & catching them is the pits!),   Himalayan "yama" berries (they only produce once every 5 years).  Combine them on the third Tuesday of the month and melt & mix.  Take a left hind leg bone from a white cat (NOT while he's alive, Hoss) and bury it on the bank of an east flowing stream under a full moon.   Sacrifice a goat to Bangyelzeebub (the God of black powder).  The result is a marvelous lube that allows mach 3 velocities with 15 grains of 2f and 1/2" groups at 800 yards with no fouling! 

The paranoids have put me on their hit list as i took a blood oath never to reveal this secret lube. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

C. Cash

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 12:00:53 AM »
;D  Been speermintin' wiff de follering.  I combine the oil squeezed from a Madagascan Kwanga toad (female only & catching them is the pits!),   Himalayan "yama" berries (they only produce once every 5 years).  Combine them on the third Tuesday of the month and melt & mix.  Take a left hind leg bone from a white cat (NOT while he's alive, Hoss) and bury it on the bank of an east flowing stream under a full moon.   Sacrifice a goat to Bangyelzeebub (the God of black powder).  The result is a marvelous lube that allows mach 3 velocities with 15 grains of 2f and 1/2" groups at 800 yards with no fouling! 

The paranoids have put me on their hit list as i took a blood oath never to reveal this secret lube. 

;D ;D ;D

LHV lube has been what I've used(bought it based on experiences here), but my only other experiences are with the CVA lube that came in the started kit back in the early 80's.  I bought up all the LHV lube I could when I heard they were going out of business.  Should last me a while and will probably go with the Hoppes once it's used up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:13:45 AM by C. Cash »

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 02:07:37 AM »
The urine of a three year old goat fed only ferns for three days was once considered an excellent quench, heat treating steel. Might be worth a try on patches.

Otherwise, what I would find interesting is stuff that works in our wonderful Michigan winters. Haven't shot in winter yet, used to have more sense & was incapacitated this year. Next winter, inshAllah, I hope to give it a try.